How to change the location of my files without re-cataloguing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to change the location of my files without re-cataloguing

I have all my pictures on my local hard drive. I have an exact duplicate structure on an external hard drive. I don't use ACDSee to back up, I use a file synchronization program.

My local drive is running out of space, so I want to use the files on the external drive and delete those on the local drive. All my files are "embedded" but I do NOT want to recatalogue all 50000 images. I should be able to point the database to a new drive and have it tick merrily along, but I can't seem to get it to work. I have backed up the database so I can experiment and reload it if something goes wrong, which it has, twice.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance...

I haven't done this specifically, but in smaller operations, I have had success just moving folders within ACDSee. This would probably work better with a new hard drive, rather than one that is synced with the data. But I think it would do what you want.

Backup Photos first! (You probably have already done that)
    Open up ACDSee folders. Highlight a parent folder so that all the sub folders appear in the main window.
    Plug in the external drive (preferably blank, or at least with enough space in a sub directory)
    Highlight all your sub folders on the main screen in ACDSee.
    Then on the left hand side of the screen, scroll so that you can see the external drive.
    Then drag all the orders from the main screen and drop them on the left side onto the external drive.

I believe this MOVES the files (although it could just copy them). And the database should be updated with the new location, preserving all your metadata.

I have done this on a MUCH smaller scaler (i.e. 1-2 folders I have worked with in ACDSee, then drag+dropped them into my main photo folder.

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by CanonFan View Post
      I haven't done this specifically, but in smaller operations, I have had success just moving folders within ACDSee. This would probably work better with a new hard drive, rather than one that is synced with the data. But I think it would do what you want.

Backup Photos first! (You probably have already done that)
      Open up ACDSee folders. Highlight a parent folder so that all the sub folders appear in the main window.
      Plug in the external drive (preferably blank, or at least with enough space in a sub directory)
      Highlight all your sub folders on the main screen in ACDSee.
      Then on the left hand side of the screen, scroll so that you can see the external drive.
      Then drag all the orders from the main screen and drop them on the left side onto the external drive.

I believe this MOVES the files (although it could just copy them). And the database should be updated with the new location, preserving all your metadata.

I have done this on a MUCH smaller scaler (i.e. 1-2 folders I have worked with in ACDSee, then drag+dropped them into my main photo folder.

Good luck!
      Thanks for the thought but that is exactly what I want avoid. I have 300 gigs of files, moving or copying is a 2 day process. Since they already exist on the external drive I'd like to just get the database to recognize them.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobbert View Post
        I have backed up the database so I can experiment and reload it if something goes wrong, which it has, twice.
        Go to database maintenance and change the binding.

Comment

Originally posted by Emil View Post

Go to database maintenance and change the binding.
          The option is greyed out. How do I get it to be active?

Comment

Wait until the dialogue gathered all info, which may take quite some time depending on the size of your database (about 30min! for my db). Then unfold the tree, select the folder you need to rebind and click the rebind button. This opens another dialogue showing some drive info and another rebind button you need to click ...

AC does not allow to rebind a whole drive, partition or net resource, it can only reassign folders.

Comment

Emil, I did that. The change binding option only becomes active if my external drive in NOT connected. No possibility if it is. When I changed the binding to the correct folder on the disconnected drive it doesn't work. ACDSee says the binding has changed but when I mount the drive and search for a keyword nothing is found.

Comment

I resume:
                Your local drive runs out of space and you want to use your external drive for all files instead now.
                Your external drive has exactly the same files in the same folder structure.
                E.g. "c:\myfiles\Photos\..." -> "e:\digitals\..."

So you will want to rebind the folder on your local drive to a different folder on your external drive.

In the tree view you need to select the local folder ("c:\myfiles\Photos") and rebind it to the external folder ("e:\digitals").
                If AC doesn't allow you to rebind the local folder, then rename it first using the windows explorer (E.g. "c:\myfiles\Photos_old").
                After this the folder "c:\myfiles\Photos" will be shown as orphaned and the button should become available.

Well, that's the theory, good luck.

Comment

That's the right track. Thanks Emil. The Pictures folder is s windows system folder and renaming it doesn't fool ACDSee. I moved all my photos to a new folder, took about 5 minutes, then deleted the Pictures folder. ACDSee database maintenance tool then recognized the Pictures folder as orphaned and allowed me to change the binding to my external drive.

Phew! This is really too complex for most users. Why does ACDSee only allow you to change the binding of an orphan folder? Why not let me change it at will?

Comment

Originally posted by Bobbert View Post
                    TWhy does ACDSee only allow you to change the binding of an orphan folder?
                    I guess it's for safety. Most users will not want to unbind a folder with catalogued items. The usual case is that users move the files with the explorer and then find most of there catalogued items in AC to be orphaned. In this case database maintenance is pretty useful. In your case with copied files the trick was to fool AC.

Thanks Boppert, I learned a lot from this thread, I never needed the database maintenance myself before.

Comment

External drive must be ON befor you start ACD

Comment

Working...
                      X