Lensfun updates

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lensfun updates

Does anyone know how often ACDsee pull the lensfun database in to Ultimate?

I am incredibly frustrated to find that many of my lenses have been in the lensfun database for months but are not showing in ACDsee.

Is there anyway to update it myself?

There is a file in the installation directory of ACDSee, e.g. <PROGRAMS>\ACD Systems\ACDSee Ultimate\11.0\lensfun.txt

It contains instructions on how to integrate your own brewn lensfuns database, it even encourages to do so in the first line which reads:

Feel free to download and compile your own version of LensFun to work with ACDSee.
    I suspect it's not that easily done, tho. It involves compiling source code to some windows DLL, and you will need a set of tools for this process, which are open source and thus free, but can be hard to handle and understand if you never done it before. Maybe the lensfun web site has some more information about compiling it from source on Windows platforms, or maybe they even provide binary builds for your platform already.

So, yes, it seems to be possible but is definately not easy to do for none-hardcore-techs.

Cheers,
    Janto

Comment

Now because I was very curious about that myself (it's a pretty annoying personality trait), I was doing some research and found the following (rather easy) solution that should do the trick:

1) Download the latest archive of Lensfun DB at http://wilson.bronger.org/lensfun-db/version_1.tar.bz2 - you will need 7zip or a similar tool to extract the files

2) Make a BACKUP of the directory C:\Program Files\ACD Systems\ACDSee Ultimate\11.0\LensFun and all contents in it somewhere

3) Extract the contents of the archive file downloaded from (1) somewhere on your disk

4) Copy all files (.XML) to directory C:\Program Files\ACD Systems\ACDSee Ultimate\11.0\LensFun (which you have BACKED UP before). Overwrite all existing files if prompted to do so.

5) Start ACDSee, the new cameras/lenses should be there

Did I mention you should BACKUP that C:\Program Files\ACD Systems\ACDSee Ultimate\11.0\LensFun folder?

Of course, try this at your very own risk. You might ruin your ACDSee installation if something goes wrong and be forced to reinstall it to fix any issues.

Cheers,
      Janto

Comment

I have just tried with slr-nikon.xml and slr-olympus.xml; with mil-nikon.xml and mil-olympus.xml. No problem to declare... But I did not find my lenses .
        I must indicate that I have tried on the english trial version of Acdsee Pro 2018 which expires tonight....

Comment

I'm not sure why, but somehow replacing single files didn't work for me either, while replacing all files with those from the archive did work. But my test was limited on a new camera I picked randomly from the Changelog (sd Quattro) in mil-sigma.txt. In the first test (replace single file), it didn't show up, but after replacing all files I could chose it in ACDSee's Lens Correction.

Have you gotten the file from the archive in the link above or did you download them from the Lensfun source code repository?

So maybe you should give the "all-or-nothing" approach a last try

BTW, which Camera/Lens combination do you miss? I could see if it's now available in my slightly hacked version.

Comment

Janto many thanks for that - I'm still waiting to hear back from ACDsee support but that worked perfectly and added about 25 lenses to the list available for my system - which makes me wonder how often ACDsee are updating them at all.

Comment

I have replaced all files, that does not change anything. I used your link, and the attached archive.
              I am looking for the last Nikon AF-S 80-400 (II) and mainly for the Olympus 12-100.
              BUT I have found the Olympus Em1 Mark II body, which did not exist in the previous list.
              I am trialing (today for the last day) the english version of Pro 2018 ; I have the previous version in French, and I am waiting for the next (2018 in french, mid-october, I think).

Either way, thanks for the tip.

Alaric (French)

Comment

johnjbloomfield, I'm glad it worked for you.

@Alaric: The lense is there, but probably Lensfun doesn't combine it with the camera you are using? I just quick checked, and with the D7200 there is a Nikkor AF-S 80-400 lens. Neither the version II or the Olympus 12-100 seem to be supported by latest Lensfun anyway, according to their support list from the latest database. Does version 10 also use Lensfun? You can update your database the same way there too, probably.

Comment

Hello Janto, all other folks,

thx, Janto, I've updated my ACDSee U10 corresponding to your advice, some body-lens - combinations have been added.

Originally posted by Janto View Post
                  ...@Alaric: The lense is there, but probably Lensfun doesn't combine it with the camera you are using?
                  Indeed, for me as a Pentax user almost all lenses I own are listed in combination with my APS-C bodies (Pentax K200D, K5, K-3) but not with my FullFrame K-1 :-(
                  But the Nikon D800 has the same sensor, and so I can use the D800-profile with some of my lenses which are missing in the K-1-profile.

Nevertheless I've hoped, that in U2018 there might be an update of the lens database...

Greetz from Germany
                  Uwe

Comment

@Janto
                    Yes, the 80-400 is, with the D7200, but not with the D810.
                    Version 10 supports Lensfun. Undoubtedly, I'll update the database.
                    Thanks again for your work.

Edit : On reflection, there is something surprising. The 80-400 is a full frame lens, now the D7200 has an aps-c sensor.
                    Last edited by Alaric; 10-10-2017, 01:15 AM.

Comment

Hey uwe,

Fellow Pentaxian here - I just shoot apsc so yeah it was a lot of extra lenses for me.

I have spoken to the lensfun people about Full Frame thinking about buying a K-1 and they basically said that they basically rely on K-1 owners going out shooting and submitting calibration images in order to update the database for full frame - I have submitted APSC lenses before and they have worked their way through pretty quickly in to the database.

I believe from this that if you went out and took some calibration images on your K-1 for the lenses you want and submitted them to lensfun you wouldn't have to wait that long until they were covered.

http://wilson.bronger.org/calibration

Originally posted by uwe1904 View Post
                      Hello Janto, all other folks,

thx, Janto, I've updated my ACDSee U10 corresponding to your advice, some body-lens - combinations have been added.

Indeed, for me as a Pentax user almost all lenses I own are listed in combination with my APS-C bodies (Pentax K200D, K5, K-3) but not with my FullFrame K-1 :-(
                      But the Nikon D800 has the same sensor, and so I can use the D800-profile with some of my lenses which are missing in the K-1-profile.

Nevertheless I've hoped, that in U2018 there might be an update of the lens database...

Greetz from Germany
                      Uwe

Comment

Hi John, all,

that are good news!
                        As soon as i find the time, i'll take a walk mit my K-1 and a bag full of lenses an take the required pics.
                        Thx.

Greetz from Germany
                        Uwe

Comment

Working...
                        X