Facebook uploader changed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Facebook uploader changed

Anyone else noticed that in 2018 it is softening the images in a way it didn't before?

And more so than if you just upload the full image to Facebook and let the notoriously awful Facebook algorithm do the softening.

According to Facebook, to avoid compression images should be resized to 720, 960, or 2048 pixels wide, and file size should be less than 100KB. I've never used the uploader, what exactly does it do to the photo when it uploads? If it's not resizing properly or compressing the image enough, its possible that FB algorithm is mangling it.

Comment

I think previously it used to just send them to facebook full size and let facebook compress them but I suspect now that some sort of pre-sending resizing is taking place that is softening the images.

Comment

Yes I noticed this big time as I do photography. I can't upload from ACDsee anymore of they look terrible. I was here looking for how to set it to High Quality. I work through the winter and don't do many photos so I didn't notice till i finished my winter job and started uploading this past week but if I don't upload direct through facebook the photos are not uploaded at even the facebook's High Quality setting and I can find no where to set it high quality from the ACDsee upload. I should maybe go back to using my old one and check it. But I uploaded the same photos both ways, once from ACDsee and on facebook direct. I then download the photos from Facebook and find the photos uploaded direct through face book are over twice the size (kb)

So the sizes of the same photo, one uploaded from facebook's own upload albums and one from ACDsee.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	31117667_1191138711023540_777523938254127104_o.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	563.7 KB
ID:	46305
        563.7 KB - Above Uploaded through facebook uploaded not ACDsee and downloaded from facebook resulting size of high quality upload

Click image for larger version

Name:	31117667_1191138711023540_777523938254127104_o.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	563.7 KB
ID:	46306
        274.4 KB - above Uploaded from ACDsee and downloaded from Facebook to see quality size as sent direct from ACDsee.

Neither image was resized before upload but when sizing to 2048 pixels I saw the same result.

Comment

The same photo was used to uploaded direct, ticking high quality to a facebook album and then downloaded for both of these. One was uploaded direct from ACDsee and the other through facebook. After downloading from Facebook the one uploaded from acdsee is less than half the quality size (kb's data measured, not pixels, also the one from ACDsee is shrunk to 2048 pixels and the one direct through facebook is larger) but not enough to account for the quality different in size. I tested this also with photos I pre shrunk to the recommended 2048px on the longest edge and got the same quality difference when uploaded from ACDsee over facebook. So don't upload from ACDsee if you want to see the highest possible quality, you must use the facebook uploaded which is terrible. I don't think this was happening with my ACDsee 8 I'll test when i get home to my main pc.

Comment

Glad it's not just me seeing this.

Comment

Working...
            X