How do I turn off history?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I turn off history?

When I go to Photos (on the toolbar) it displays a thumbnail of every image I've ever opened, despite me asking for it to specifically not catalogue these files.

How do I disable this?

I am not sure how to get exactly what you ask.... but this will make the whole option go away.
    Options > General > Mode Configurations > Uncheck "Photos"

Comment

That just hides the icon. It still logs every image you open. One workaround is to relocate the catalogue file to somewhere that's easy to delete. I've moved it to Temp, which I clean automatically with CCCleaner. Ignoring settings through sheer incompetence is one thing but it's also irritating that ACDSee has so little respect for its customer's privacy.

Comment

Correct, it does turn off the feature. I am not sure that I would categorize this as a privacy issue. Probably more of an operational issue.
        Oddly, I have only ever felt partially incompetent, I'll think I would need to work harder to achieve sheer incompetence.

Comment

It's a privacy issue because even if you instruct it not to catalogue it does so anyway, gathering thumbnails of everything you've ever viewed. To see these thumbnails, you'd only have to renable the photos tab. It also logs the location of every photo you've ever opened.

Might interest a few wives out there.

Comment

First ACDSee is invading privacy, then Google... then the wife? Not sure what to say.... You almost have to drop off the grid to not be tracked.

In any case, It may be worth double checking ... as it seems that my system only catalogs the directories of what is listed in:
            ​Option > ACDSee Indexer

I am not sure why other's results are different. Maybe there are left-over orphans from a previous indexer setting long since removed. It may be worth running database maintenance (including deleting orphans) to see if the problem continues.

Comment

No, the indexer setting tells it what to catalog into a searchable database, but it gathers history (and thumbnails) of every image you view regardless of what you put in there.

It's a behavior that's been carried forward since they first introduced the database.

Comment

Note: this question is unresolved

Comment

"Tools - Database - Excluded Folder Settings" does the trick, at least for me. Add every resource you do not want to catalogue .

Originally posted by Klause Kunnenunt View Post
                  It's a behavior that's been carried forward since they first introduced the database.
                  Of course its is. No need to explicitly catalogue files is one of the main features of AC.

Comment

Originally posted by Emil View Post
                    "Tools - Database - Excluded Folder Settings" does the trick, at least for me. Add every resource you do not want to catalogue .

Of course its is. No need to explicitly catalogue files is one of the main features of AC.
                    What? I have explicitly told ACDSee not to catalogue folders, yet when I look at the database it has kept a record of every folder I've ever browsed regardless. Granted, this might not be the same as "cataloging" them, but it's keeping an activity record in the database. I fail to see how this is a "main feature."

Comment

If you don't like this behavior you might wan't to delete the database reguarly (e.g. before start of AC with a batch) . But imho this turns AC into cripple ware.

If you fear AC would send your private data to ACDSystems than run it behind a firewall. But this will inhibit the use of all online features.

Comment

Working...
                      X