Suggestions on masks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions on masks

Hello! I created my first masks today in ACDSEE, they were color and sharpening. I used simple photos so that I could more easily learn. One of the things I do a lot of is shoot Gulf Wildlife,and I seem to always want to add a little blue to the river/bayou waters. These are first attempts, suggestions appreciated for improvement.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Peggy; 12-17-2017, 04:23 PM.

Hi Peggy, How did you create the masks? The coloring in the example you posted stands out and looks like it needs further touching-up/feathering; however a better solution to add blue might be to adjusting the hue in Color EQ and/or adjusting the RGB channels in curves. Otherwise I find that using pixel targeting in Edit mode is very effective for most of my masking needs and I rarely have to resort to other means such as selections/brushing. With that said, for color grading I don't use masking all that frequently though combining pixel targeting along with a color modifying adjustment layer (i.e. Color EQ, curves, split tone, gradient map, color filter) can allow for very precise adjustments.

Comment

Thank you for that bmcnich. I did try color EQ, with minimal effect because I needed to actually change the color from greenish brown to blue, and the fish has some of the same color hue as the original water. I have not tried the cures. I tried pixel targeting, but must have not been doing something correct because it would not select my water.

Comment

I downloaded the image and understand what you mean. What I ended up doing was going into Edit, made a copy of the layer, then to Tone Curves, then Edit Brush. Then in curves on RGB I created an s-curve to add contrast, then onto Red (pulled down slightly), Green (pulled up slightly), Blue (pulled up significantly) - basically adjusting until blue was desired color. Finally I used the brush to brush in all areas except the fish; when brushing around the fish I set the tolerance to 100, used a large feather, and set smart brushing to Brightness. Finally I inverted brush strokes to review the mask and touch up as needed, then reverted back and applied the adjustment.
        Attached Files

Comment

Excellent! Thanks for another method!

Comment

Working...
          X