Ultimate 2018 freezing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ultimate 2018 freezing

I am having a problem with ultimate 2018 randomly freezing which makes the program unresponsive. The only way to exit the program is to use Windows Task Manager to shut it down, however I have recently found that if I run a second instance of Ultimate 2018 it will cause the unresponsive first instance of U2018 to crash and shut down as well as the second instance to close as well.

It is only U2018 that becomes unresponsive and I can run other programs without a problem.

I have found that u2018 will freeze if I leave the program idle for 15 mins or more. I also noticed that if a screen message appears from Windows Action Centre, such as an program update or Windows Mail notification the U2018 will freeze. I find it strange that I can run Excel or Word over U2018 and it does not cause U2018 to freeze.

I sent an email to ACD support and received a response that I need to optimise the database to resolve this issue.

I have reinstalled U2018 and have regularly optimised the database but nothing has stopped U2018 from freezing at random times.

I sent a response to ACD support about the steps I have taken and also a copy of Windows error logs relating to U2018 but I have received no reply.

​I recently had 35 RAW photos to process and U2018 froze twice during the processing session. It is ruining the joy of photo processing.

I have Ultimate 10 installed and that works without any problems. I am not happy that I upgraded to U2018 only three months after purchasing Ultimate 10 so U2018 has become a waste of money if I cannot get it to rum properly.

Since ACD support has not responded to my emails, I am hoping that someone on the forum may have a suggestion that will resolve my issue.

Although Ultimate 10 is working ok, I am looking at alternatives like Affinity Pro, but I don't really want to learn a new program If i can avoid it.

Thanks,
    John

Johnmurph,
    ​Let me start by saying I have no idea on what the cause as I have not seen crashes with 2018.
    I would have suggested the database maintenance because I had the similar issue in v8 that was solved with dB maintenance and have been religious with that ever since. Obviously, not the issue you are having.

I wonder if there is a procedural thing that I do that somehow avoids stepping on to the land mines.
    Important: My goal is NOT to change your workflow, only to see if we can narrow the problem space down.

​For instance, my workflow...

​RAW file > Develop Mode > edit_image > Done > Manage Mode > Select files > Export TIF
    TIF File > Edit Mode > edit_image > Done > Manage Mode > Select Files > Export JPG

I know this is a somewhat convoluted work flow. Arguably not the most efficient in many ways... but it is what I do.
    ​If you try the same, does 2018 still crash on your system?

If it still crashes, then we have removed one of the many possibilities... but not have gotten very far.
    ​If it does not crash, maybe we have a place to start looking.

​In a similar way, if you share your workflow, I will try it and report back if my system crashes or not.

Comment

Originally posted by GusPanella View Post
      Johnmurph,

​For instance, my workflow...

​RAW file > Develop Mode > edit_image > Done > Manage Mode > Select files > Export TIF
      TIF File > Edit Mode > edit_image > Done > Manage Mode > Select Files > Export JPG

I know this is a somewhat convoluted work flow. Arguably not the most efficient in many ways... but it is what I do.
      ​If you try the same, does 2018 still crash on your system?

​In a similar way, if you share your workflow, I will try it and report back if my system crashes or not.
      My work flow is RAW file > Develop mode > edit image > Save As JPG (to separate directory) > Manage mode (to edit ACD data) > Embed data > transfer to selected directory.

I don not use edit mode a great deal and changes I make in develop mode are only minor. It will mostly freeze when I reload the next image for processing. No error message is display but the cursor cannot select any command in U2018.

Sometimes I can process 50 images straight without a problem and other times I can only do 6 images before it freezes. As far as I recall it has never frozen when renaming files adding metadata or moving files.

When the program freezes I can run other programs still so it it not affecting the functioning of the computer so it is only U2018 that is affected. I can run another instance of U2018 which causes both instances of U2018 to shut down, I have not the oppurtunity to try running Ulitimate 10 to see if it will run or also cause U2018 to shut down.

I optimize the database after each session of processing.

The fault as listed by Windows Error log is:

System

- Provider
      [ Name] Application Error
      - EventID 1000
      [ Qualifiers] 0
      Level 2
      Task 100
      Keywords 0x80000000000000
      - TimeCreated
      [ SystemTime] 2018-01-25T11:45:02.374586800Z
      EventRecordID 102857
      Channel Application
      Computer DESKTOP-TMUJDKN
      Security

- EventData

ACDSeeUltimate2018.exe
      5a21369b
      ACDSeeUltimate2018.exe
      5a21369b
      c000041d (exception Code)
      000000000168da78 (fault offset)
      2f9c (faulting process id)
      01d395c74f96559d (faulting application start time)
      C:\Program Files\ACD Systems\ACDSee Ultimate\11.0\ACDSeeUltimate2018.exe
      4d4f096e-53f3-47ca-91e4-3f31a4a804d9 (Report id)

And a second but different entry was:

System

- Provider
      [ Name] Application Error
      - EventID 1000
      [ Qualifiers] 0
      Level 2
      Task 100
      Keywords 0x80000000000000
      - TimeCreated
      [ SystemTime] 2018-01-22T12:16:52.217257400Z
      EventRecordID 101022
      Channel Application
      Computer DESKTOP-TMUJDKN
      Security

- EventData

ACDSeeUltimate2018.exe
      5a21369b
      ntdll.dll
      493793ea
      c0000374 (exception Code)
      00000000000f87bb (fault offset)
      2acc (faulting process id)
      01d3937a7bc7cdf3 (faulting application start time)
      C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
      7ecb08fa-6173-430e-b119-d1f901962b16 (report id)

I sent these details to ACD support but have heard nothing back.

This issue with freezing only happens probably 2 out of every 5 times I run U2018.

Comment

I have processed about 50 files; three times, using your workflow. Basically, process 50 files following your process.... close U2018. do something else for a while. Open U2018. Process 50 files. Repeat.

No crash or hang. Everything operates as expected.
        I will try a couple more times, but my guess is we can conclude it is not related to workflow.

From your log, I noticed the crash relates to ntdll.dll
        This is a windows system file. I am not sure if this will fix anything, but it be worth to double check system files (ntdll.dll) and others is not damaged. Here is how Microsoft says to check.
        https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...rrupted-system
        Basically, this check will confirm there is nothing funny with Win10 files.

There are many reports that suggest video drivers like to mess with ntdll.dll. I, too have nVidia card and do not see the issue. But it may be worth checking to see if video drivers are up to date. As a reference, my nvidia driver version is: 388.59

Oh, one more pathological test... try starting Win10 in safe mode and see if the problem still occurs. If it works in safe mode, we would want to start looking at interferences between U2018 and non-Operating system things. This may be a painful test as I sometimes the video resolution is less than optimum.

I would guess there is a 99% chance that the Win10 and Video drivers are OK... In my experience, it is very rare these things go bad... but it is probably worth a check of the low hanging fruit.

There are a million settings in U2018 that interact with different parts of the system. Thus, we need to look for other details to give us a clue why U2018 isn't plaing nicely. With the following questions, I am trying to reduce the number of places to look.

When the issue happens, does it occur regardless of the location of the starting RAW file or the location of the resulting JPG file?

Personally, I rarely reboot my computers, and use "sleep mode" a lot, so I probably fall into the worst case user in this regards. Which are probably bad things to do In your case, does the problem happen after a fresh reboot, after the computer has been running for a while, independent of how long the computer has been running, other?

In the meantime, I will run through your process a few more times trying to repeat the problem.

Comment

A couple of days ago I tried for hours to get U2018 to freeze. Nothing I did would make it freeze. At one time I had two instances of both U2018 and ultimate 10 running at the same time and nothing went wrong.

I noticed the reference to ntdll.dll as well and I checked for corruption of the file but its good. I have the latest drivers installed for everything and have scanned for malware and viruses.

The freezing of U2018 only affects that program and I can still use the computer to run other programs while U2018 is frozen. This makes me think that there is a problem with U2018 that it does not know how to handle a particular event.

I did receive a reply back from ACDsee Support with the offer to remote access my computer to try and isolate the problem. I thanked them for the offer but politely declined the offer as the problem is intermittent and I cannot duplicate it at will. Also no error messages are displayed which also does no help.

I have given this some thought and have decided that as this problem does not seem to be a common issue with other people, that the problem may lay with my computer configuration somewhere. I also have Ultimate 10 to use and this will service my needs for my photo editing, then I will put up with the problem if it occurs and maybe after the next windows or U2018 update things may improve.

The problem is only a minor hindrance and as it has not frozen the last couple of times I have used it, I have decided that it is not worth loosing too much sleep over.

Thanks for help and the time you have spent in trying to find a solution. Your assistance is much appreciated, but please do not waste too much time in trying to find a solution as it may be only an issue that is isolated to my particular computer and U2018.

Thanks,
          John

Comment

The 3-day response policy from tech support is no where near close enough to have any hope of being able to solve intermittent issues. The support policy in play is an exercise in futility for intermittent issues. We can only hope they see the same issues internally and they are working on them.

Issues with fault handling are on the top 5 list of possibilities. I also have a burr in my saddle about the registry is used in the application.
            Many times, inconsistent crashes are blamed on the user systems. There are indicators there is something more in play.

Comment

I am having the same problem. Seems worse after going from Win 7 to Win 10. Usually it will freeze for about 5 minutes when I first open it, then it releases. Not other programs affected, but I hate the long wait. Any new clues? I do not use their WEB storage.

Comment

Hello sfriedman39,

Sorry to learn the performance issue that you have experienced. To help us understand and find the cause of the issue, please let us know the following:

1.) Do you have any USB drive connected? Does disconnecting those USB devices make any difference?

2.) Is there any archive or video files in the startup folder?

3.) Do you have any mapped drive?
                And if you do have mapped drive, is the mapped network location available all the time? Does removing the mapped drives help?

I have also created support ticket, sending that to your comcast email account to follow up this case.

Regards,
                James
                ACD Customer Care

Comment

Working...
                X