No announcement yet.

How to manage orphans on mapped network drive?

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to manage orphans on mapped network drive?

How do I find "orphan" files and folders on a mapped network drive. And of course how do I fix the database in that case? I understand that the DB maintenance tool does not work if your image files live on a network drive.
    Just to clarify: my photos are on a mapped network storage device. The DB however is on the local drive of the PC.

Thanks for your help!

Turn on the external disk before starting the ACD, then go to Database maintenance.

Indeed, it's mentioned in the help file that finding "orphan" files and folders does not work on a mapped network drive.

..and I agree, that's a very frustrating problem !

It actually makes the the catalog, the calendar, the photos view, the dashboard and the search function worthless because it is cluttered with images that no longer exist.

Are you able to address the network drive as part of the network rather than map it? i.e. //servername/sharename/. If you can you can then have ACDSee include it in your DB. I have my entire photo collection (90K+ images) located on a network attached NAS.

Originally posted by philipW99 View Post
          I have my entire photo collection (90K+ images) located on a network attached NAS.
          Jepp, no problem, but AC does not delete orphans for these resources from the DB with database optimization.

Here's a work around for files that support IPTC:
          1. First let AC display all files you want to check in manage mode (image well, a category, all files of one month, ...)

2. Find an IPTC field you don't really need (e.g. "originating Program") and fill it with the current date (e.g. "2018-03-09")

3. Create a smart collection with two filters:
          3a. "Exif - Camera Info - image - software" to "is not" leave value empty
          3b. "IPTC - Status - Originating Program" to "is not" "2018-03-09"

4. Let AC display the just defined smart collection

Voila! AC will show orphans only.

Background: AC can not change IPTC meta data for files that don't exist.
          3a is needed to filter images (AC can catalogue non image files)

But what to do next? You can't select all (CTRL-A) and press DEL. This won't work. The only method I know is to double click each and every file and tell AC to delete it.

Hey dev team, this is really annoying! There should be a option (e.g CTRL-DEL) to delete all selected items from db regardless if the file exists or not. It's a tedious job to find the orphans if your unable to delete a big selection just because one of the selected items doesn't exist at all. And if AC refuses to delete a selection because there's an orphan, then a message must be displayed.

Keep in mind all the above just is needed for images stored on net resources, mapped to a drive letter or not. This is not needed for files stored on local drives.
          Last edited by Emil; 03-09-2018, 04:05 AM.