Ultimate 2018 shutting down and freezing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ultimate 2018 shutting down and freezing

About 6 weeks ago I posted about a problem with Ultimate 2018 randomly freezing. I also send a email to ACDSee support and despite a lot of suggestions provided by support I was unable to solve the problem.

I was asked to send a crash report when U2018 next crashed but as the program was not actually crashing but just freezing, no crash report was ever generated. As helpful that support were, they said without a crash report there was no way for them to isolate the cause of the problem. I agreed that a crash report was needed and I said I would keep using the program in the hope I could replicate the freezing by performing certain steps or by some miracle a crash report would be generated.

For the next couple of weeks I used the program to processed over 1500 RAW images without a single problem. I thought that maybe the issues had somehow fixed itself or maybe a Windows 10 update had helped.

So I was pretty happy with that outcome until yesterday. I foolishly installed the latest U2018 update (11.2 build 1309). so I proceed to process some more RAW images and everything was working fine until the fifth image when U2018 just completely shut itself down. I immediately checked to see if a crash report had been generated but it had not. I restarted the program and continued to process another 15 images without a problem.

Today when I was using U2018 to do a batch file conversion of 11 RAW images to JPG, The program froze at the 7th image and the program became completely unresponsive. I had to close U2018 by using Windows Task manager, restart the program and fishing converting the remaining files. No crash report was generated at this time either.

So I used U2018 twice and had a problem each time. I can only concluded that the problems are a result of the U2018 update so tomorrow I will be trying to roll back the update, if that is possible, or probably dump U2018 completely and go back to using Ultimate 10 which has never had a problem.

Might sent another email to support suggesting they look at what is causing the problems and maybe also looking into why U2018 will not generate a crash report and include that in the next update although I doubt if I will install any more updates.

Has anyone else had these same issues?

In trying to post this I get a message saying "You are not authorized to create this post" and "invalid server response Please try again" What is going on?

New Update
    With the new update, I have processed around 100 images without issue. Not an exhaustive test... but so far so good. But, I have not seen any of the claimed speed improvements either.

"Invalid server response" or similar issues to the forums
    ​I see this periodically. Usually fixed by clearing browser cache. Followed by a browser restart. Because of this, and other issues, it would seem this an issue of vBulletin configuration)

Comment

Sometimes my ACD also froze or started to work very slowly. Problems always occurred after using the Dehaze function. Now I do not use this tool anymore and there are no problems.

Comment

Originally posted by GusPanella View Post
        New Update

"Invalid server response" or similar issues to the forums
        ​I see this periodically. Usually fixed by clearing browser cache. Followed by a browser restart. Because of this, and other issues, it would seem this an issue of vBulletin configuration)
        I restarted my browser and this seemed to solve the problem. I have never seen those messages with any other website I have visited.

Comment

Originally posted by Edvard View Post
          Sometimes my ACD also froze or started to work very slowly. Problems always occurred after using the Dehaze function. Now I do not use this tool anymore and there are no problems.
          I have not been able to find what causes the program to freeze so I am unable to replicate the problem. When it freezes the cursor can still be moved and other program run. Just can't do anything with U2018 and can only close it by using the windows task manager or by running a second U2018.

Comment

Hi Doug,

Sorry to learn that the issue is getting server after this update. I've just replied to your support ticket setup a meeting to troubleshoot and understand the problem in more details.

Thanks
            James - Customer Care team.

Comment

Was this ever solved? I am consistently experiencing a freeze once ACDsee 1309 opens. I =am= running a Win10 preview version -- v1803 build 17134.48 (as of this posting. May 14 of 2018)

Comment

Hi ClaytonCurtis,

Sorry to learn that you experienced freezes during start of ACDSee Ultimate 2018, build 1309. Please try to optimize the database to see if the issue can be addressed.

Click Tools | Database | Optimize Database.
                Click Next.
                Put a check in both boxes then click Next again twice.
                Click Finish.

There might be some images in the start folder that might have caused such freeze problem. So I suggest that you can change your start folder or the home folder to a different folder to see if the issue goes away. Then we will try to find out which image(s) might have caused the freeze.

If there is a crash report, please send that to us to analyze. I have send a support ticket to your AOL email account to follow up this case. Please reply to that email with the most recent crash reports and screenshots that you would like to send to us to help us understand the problem.

Regards
                James - ACD Customer Care

Comment

James - Thanks for the rapid response. I found the cause of my specific issue, which was a result of temporal coincidence. Right before installing 1309, I had installed an application called Duet Display that makes it possible to use an iPad as a second display on a laptop. U2018 and Duet apparently don't agree with each other, and uninstalling Duet made the problem go away. Thanks again, and good luck with support (which I've done in the past).

Comment

Hi everyone, I do not know if this is the cause of or related to my Ultimate 2018 freezing and shutting down, but after I removed ACDSee intouch from my computer a couple of months ago, ACDSee Ultimate 2018 has not frozen once and shutdown.

It could just be a coincidence I suppose.

Comment

This seems like an appropriate thread for this post since it involves ACDSee freezing.

I work on a Mac, but have Parallels on it to run a Windows 10 VM. Everything on the VM works properly (Photoshop, PaintShop Pro, ACDSee Video, and everything else I tried) except Ultimate 2018. I downloaded the trial for Ultimate 2018 and it seemed to install properly, and it starts. But once it opens I get the cursor wait icon for perhaps 10 seconds and then everything is completely unresponsive in the app. I can not resize the window, I can not cause any drop-down command to even open, I can not close the app. Nothing works at all. All of my other apps still work while Ultimate 2018 is frozen, but it (Ultimate 2018) might as well be a brick for all of the functionality I can get. I can only close the app by using Ctrl-Alt-Del.

I have uninstalled the app and reinstalled it, but it makes no difference. Everything is still unresponsive. Does anyone have Ultimate 2018 running under a Windows VM? I don't even know if it is compatible with the VM.

Comment

I received a response from ACDSee support that fixed my issue and I thought I ought to post it in case anyone else ran into the same issue.

It turns out that the problem was caused by ACDSee not having a valid home directory on my Windows VM and when I created one and then set the location in Ultimate 2018 it fixed the problem.

Comment

Working...
                        X