Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Ultimate converts the images to 24 bits?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does Ultimate converts the images to 24 bits?

Is this how Ultimate works?
    1. I opened a 48bits TIF with Ultimate.
    2. I use the Develop Mode.
    3. I saved the image with the same name.

The output for this was:
    a) A hidden subdirectory named [Originals] with the original TIF in 24 bits and a XMP sidecar.
    b) A new TIF with the adjustments made and with 24 bits.

My concern is: Why it saved the new TIF in 24bits when the source is 48bits?

To my knowledge, NO, this is not normal ACDSee behavior. It should be 48 bits in ----> 48bits out. I tried, and couldn't find a way to duplicate your issue.

Any way you could post some screen shots or samples of some kind?

Comment

Thank you for the support.

The problem was I made this:
      1. Image 24 bits.
      2. ACDSee Develop.
      3. External editor 24 bits to 48 bits.
      4. ACDSee Develop.
      5. Image 24 bits.

This means:
      a) ACDSee uses the files from [Originals] to make the output.
      b) It does not detects the image changes, even when a colour depth modification increases the file size.

This unespected behaviours is the reason I have suggested since version 9 that the Save / Export modules should be upgraded...

Comment

Confirmed! Following your steps 1-5 I see the same results.

This only happens as long as I use the same file name for every step and overwrite the previous file.
        If I in addition I create a new file in the external editor (step 3) and develop this new file in AC again (step 4), I receive a 48Bit image.

Wonderful catch!

[Edit]
        However, I wouldn't count this as a bug, its a feature :-)

At step 4 when you enter develop mode again, AC loads the original file again and presets the development function to the values that have been saved to [originals]filename.xmp.

Would you want AC to load the file your external editor created into develop mode and set the development functions to values you've set for the original file? To not muddle AC you must use different filenames when saving files with external editors.

Last edited by Emil; 04-07-2018, 08:38 AM.

Comment

Here are three ways to process the images in a non destructive basis:
          1. The easier way is to keep the original file visible with its sidecar, saving the changes only in the second and delete it when the original is changed by other editor. If you want an image with the adjustment made, you create an additional file.
          Example:
          1.1 image.tiff has sidecar.wpl
          1.2 sidecar.wpl saves the adjustments, image.tiff remains intact.
          1.3 image.1.tiff is saved with the adjustments that sidecar.xpl made to image.tiff. sidecar.xpl is saved with such adjustments, image.tiff remains intact.
          1.4 image.tiff is modified and sidecar.xpl is deleted. We start with 1.1.

2. The difficult way is to keep the original hidden, save the changes in a hidden sidecar and create a visible image with such changes. Here we must save the sidecar and the visible image every time an adjustment is made and when the visible image is modified, the hidden files must be destroyed.
          Example:
          2.1 image.tiff is moved to a hidden place with a sidecar.xpl. image.1.tiff is created.
          2.2 sidecar.xpl and image.1.tiff are saved with the adjustments, image.tiff remains intact.
          2.3 image.tiff is modified, sidecar.xpl is deleted.
          2.4 image.1.tiff is modified, sidecar.xpl and image.tiff are deleted. We start with 2.1.

3. The traditional way is to create a new file that retains the xpl and the image files inside. You control what changes can be done and what format you use to save the original. You can convert a JPG into a 48bits TIFF to drastically improve the outputs.
          Example:
          3.1 image.tif is stored with sidecar.xpl inside of image.acd
          3.2 Adjustments are saved in image.acd. The xpl is changed, the tif remains intact.
          3.3 image.1.tiff is saved with the adjustments that sidecar.xpl made to image.tiff. Inside image .acd, sidecar.xpl is updated and image.tiff remains intact.

ACDsee has its own bizarre way, which is a version of the second but without considering what happens with the images when they are modified by an external editor. It neither let you control the visible image the (image.1.tif in the example).

You must consider the files modified by an external editor as new because you do not have idea of what happened to them. You may ask the user to keep or delete the sidecar when this happens, or simply delete the sidecar.

The best option for advanced users is the first, it is faster, uses less resources, needs only a few rules and you have control of the image saved with the adjustments, as type, resolution, size, etc. The second uses more space and is hard to manage. The third is the easier to manage but it may create large files and a lot of resources, but less by far than the second one.

This is why ACDSee Pro Develop mode Save option should be re-engineered instead of patching it to do well the option two.
          Last edited by AAM; 04-08-2018, 05:30 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X