Unstable software or should I say unusable

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unstable software or should I say unusable

I have been dealing with crashes of this program long enough . I just started the program and was going to download some photos and it crashed again. I bought this on 11-17-2017 so I bet I won't get a refund. I have had LR since LR 2 and it has never crashed. This thing crashes all the time. Totally a waste of time and money.

Hello LKelly,

I am really sorry for the trouble this has caused, however importing or downloading images shall not have caused such crashes.

To help us understand, troubleshoot and address the problem, please let us know

- The version of ACDSee that you are using, e.g. Ultimate 2018 ?
    - What is the operating system, e.g Windows 10 64-bit ? How many RAM do you have on your system, and what is the model of your graphic card ?
    - Did you import the images from card reader, camera or the phone ? Or did you download the files from the internet, and ACDSee crashed when you try to view or edit those image ? What are the formats of those images, e.g. JPG, Tiff, RAW, etc?
    - Can you reproduce the problem all the times, are they are random but very frequent ?
    - Any other information that may be pertinent to the problem, e.g. screenshots of the error message, etc ?

In the meantime, please try to optimize the database and see if the issue can be addressed;

Click Tools | Database | Optimize Database.
    Click Next.
    Put a check in both boxes then click Next again twice.
    Click Finish.

Thanks

James
    ACD Customer Care

Comment

Just went through the exact same experience. I told the support guys "unusable" too. It started out great in January. Then it began to crash every now and then. The past two weeks it crashed every time I used it. I reinstalled, re indexed the database. Erased the "thumbs & CDX, did all the stuff they tell you to do. After I reinstalled it wouldn't even open a JPEG image without crashing.

Then I fixed it.

I had to Use Regedit.exe and completely delete this key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ACD Systems and I also deleted the C:\Users\Norman\AppData\Local\ACD Systems folder. (If you don't know how to edit your registry you'd better ask here.)

When I reinstalled it, it acted like a brand new install. Then it acted like a great program again.

Comment

I have had similar experiences. While optimising the db always is a good idea, there is no option to optimize the registry. All you can do is delete it and let AC recreate it anew.

On an older machine we have both AC Pro v8 and AC Ultimate v8 installed. Both use the same db; not copies but exactly the same files, and we find that AC Pro v8 runs much more stable then AC Ultimate v8 on this machine. Deleting the whole ACD Systems branch of the registry didn't help several times. As only AC writes to this part of the registry it must be AC it self that spoils it.

Comment

Hi
          If I were to delete the registry snd let acdsee ultimate 2018 recreate it again,...
          What settings would be lost and set back to default?
          Thanks
          Last edited by Trevor; 04-12-2018, 01:58 AM.

Comment

Here's an incomplete list of locations for various settings for AC Ultimate Studio 2018:

Path to current db -> [HKCU\Software\ACD Systems\ACDSee Ultimate\110\]"DBFile"
            Import presets -> [HKCU\Software\ACD Systems\ACDSee Ultimate\110\]"Importsettingpresets"
            Label groups -> [HKCU\Software\ACD Systems\ACDSee Ultimate\110\LabelPresets]
            Export presets -> [HKCU\Software\ACD Systems\ACDSee Ultimate\110\Export]
            Meta data presets -> [HKCU\Software\ACD Systems\ACDSee Ultimate\110\BatchSetMetadata\Templates]
            Meta data views -> [HKCU\Software\ACD Systems\ACDSee Ultimate\110\PropertiesPane\Metadata\Views]
            Image basket -> [HKCU\Software\ACD Systems\ACDSee Ultimate\110\Image Basket\files]
            External editors -> [HKCU\Software\ACD Systems\ACDSee Ultimate\110\Editors]
            Workspaces -> [HKCU\Software\ACD Systems\ACDSee Ultimate\110\EN]

Develop presets -> [HKCU\Software\ACD Systems\EditLib\Version 1.0\Develop\Presets]

Saved searches ->%LOCALAPPDATA%\ACD Systems\SavedSearches
            Shortcuts -> %APPDATA%\ACD Systems\ACDSee\Shortcuts
            Shortcuts (old versions) -> %APPDATA%\ACD Systems\ACDSee\Favorites
            Private folder -> %LOCALAPPDATA%\ACD Systems\data\

All entries starting with HKCU belong to the users registry.

To export the whole users registry for all ACD System apps into a file type:
            Code:
            >reg EXPORT "HKCU\Software\ACD Systems" acdsystems.reg
            To delete this branch type:
            Code:
            >reg DELETE "HKCU\Software\ACD Systems"
            To import the previously exported registry again simply double click the reg file.

Tags: Registry, Presets

Comment

My opinion is that when you pay for a program it is supposed to work, not I have to work on it with registry hacks. If I was the only one having a problem I would assume it was the configuration of my machine only but when it affects other machines the software developer should come up with an update to correct the problems. Win 10 64-bit, 16 GB ram, Sapphire AMD HD 6870 1GB DDR5 is my machine. It crashes before I have a chance to do anything and the database has been optimized.

Comment

Hi LKelly,

The corrupted settings could affect the performance of ACDSee and I agree you shall not resort to registry operations too often. However, as troubleshooting step, you can also rename the registry folder so the original settings can be kept, and to be restored afterwards.

I will send you an email with a bit more details, including a suggestion to have remote access meeting to understand the issue.

James
                ACD Customer Care

Comment

Working...
                X