Catagory

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Catagory

Hi, just being a bit slow in understanding, can`t work out the relevance of the Manage Quick Category Box at the top of the Right-hand Pane?
    I`ve called it Cat 1 just in case I could make more, but can`t see how, once a Category is made in the List below it seems to become useless?
    Right or Double Clicking does nothing and if I needed to use more Categories how would I make Cat 2?

A decent Video showing full use of this would be of great help.

You are in search mode and you are looking for cat1, but you do not have this category.

Comment

Sorry Edvard, but I don`t understand your reply..

Comment

- Use the triangle button at the right hand side of "Cat 1" and click "Manage Express Categories" to open the dialogue.
        - Edit the nine express categories as you like (use "|" to create sub-categories) and click the diskette button.
        - Click "Save as" and choose a suitable new name to create a new set of express categories.

Comment

Ok Emil, but what does it do?

I now have 2, Cat 1 and Cat 2, but "opening" either just displays what in each Box/List and does nothing!!

What are they used for.

I seem to be missing the point of them, help.

Comment

http://help.acdsystems.com/en/acdsee...TALOG_PANE.htm

Comment

read that, makes no mention of what I`m asking or maybe it does???

Anyone??

Comment

Hmm, I guess you expect to much.

The express categories just allow to set up several sets of commonly used categories with a max. of nine categories for each set.
                After switching to the appropriate set you can assign the categories to your images more easily.

It's a pretty dumb tool. It just offers fixed sets of categories. It does not pre filter the already assigned categories of the currently displayed images or what ever you might expect. It might be of value for users that use very limited sets of categories and also follow a stringed structure in their categories.

Comment

Thanks Emil, it`s as I found it, apart from allowing you to assign a Category, which can be easily done in the lower Pane, it does virtually nothing.
                  Seems a waste of Screen space, so can I not display that section to make, the now lower Pane, larger.??

Comment

Youv'e got it.

I'm unaware of an option to hide the express categories. In fact, I don't need it. To mange categories I use the "Cataloge" pane. I also use the IPTC-keywords instead of AC-keywords. So I never need the "Organize" pane at all.

Comment

OK Emil, trying that out.
                      First is there an easy way to show "Cataloge" pane?
                      second tried it and tried search and could not find Photos then realised that perhaps I should click "Apply", not obvious but it now works
                      Third what other Details would be relevant to include in IPTC pane?

Comment

Originally posted by Len View Post
                        First is there an easy way to show "Cataloge" pane?
                        Oops, my mistake, there doesn't exist a categories pane. There only is a categories sections in the catalogue pane. (To dev team: I wonder why, there also is a collections pane.)

second tried it and tried search and could not find Photos then realised that perhaps I should click "Apply", not obvious but it now works
                        The apply button has been discussed several times in the past :-)

Third what other Details would be relevant to include in IPTC pane?
                        This absolutely depends on your needs. You can even set up and switch between several meta data views. My main view covers: Title (automatically filed with file name), Headline, Description, Keywords, Image:Location, Image:City, Image:State/Province and Image:Country. This view is named "Content & Location". There also are view called "GPS", "ACDSee" and "All Dates".

Other important IPTC tags like all contact details are file automatically with batches using exiftool. One of them reads the copyright owner from cameras exif data and fills all needed iptc tags with matching data.

Comment

Thank you Emil, will try to put some of those in to practice.

Comment

Working...
                          X