Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trying to understand highlight recovery.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to understand highlight recovery.

Trying to understand how the Highlight recovery slider in ACDSee works.

When developing a RAW image in develop mode, the overexposed highlights can be recovered to some extent with the “highlights” slider (0-100).
    This works reasonably well.

My question is does this slider when moved to “100” always provide the same amount of maximum recovery for all RAW images?
    e.g. is it always say 1 stop (or some other stop value) no matter what camera is used?

or is it like 0%-100% where “100” would be the absolute maximum recovery for a particular camera’s RAW image?

We know that the maximum amount of highlight recovery that is possible depends, of course, on the camera. Some cameras have more potential highlights recovery “headroom” than others.

The Olympus OM-D E-M1 mk ii has a particularly high recovery headroom (more than 1.2 stops) . This can be seen from the measurements that DSO publish.

DSO measure this by comparing the “ISO setting” on the camera and the “measured ISO” value. Please note there is often confusion about what this DSO measurement really means, but the generally accepted view, when experts are looking deeper into that subject, is that this DSO measurement shows how much highlight recovery headroom is available… and the EM1 mk ii has an unusually high amount of headroom available.

So, the reason I ask is, does the Highlight recovery setting at 100 recover all of the possible highlights in a RAW image from the OM-DE-M1 mk ii ?

... or would another raw developer perhaps be able to recover even more ?
    Last edited by Trevor; 06-19-2018, 04:42 AM.

Hi Trevor - Excellent suggestion. I've needed this ability from time to time myself. I will make sure this gets passed along to the Developers.

Comment

Originally posted by LV_Bill View Post
      Hi Trevor - Excellent suggestion. I've needed this ability from time to time myself. I will make sure this gets passed along to the Developers.
      Thanks Bill,
      was there any response from the developers to my question ?

Comment

Not yet. We'll have to wait and see. Check back in this thread from time to time. /Bill

Update 6-27-18: Positive reaction to the suggestion. Keep your fingers crossed.
        Last edited by LV_Bill; 06-27-2018, 08:01 AM.

Comment

Trevor - Update 7-19-18: I hope you are still watching this thread. Your suggestion is now under serious consideration. Please post a sample image that you feel would benefit from increasing the strength of the Highlight recovery tool. I'll pass it along to the Developers.

Comment

Working...
          X