Raw rendoring dull, lacking contrast

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raw rendoring dull, lacking contrast

Nikon 7100 raw images. When viewed in ACDSee raw decode the image appears OK for ~ 1 sec a blinks to a new image with reduced contrast. This happens in View, and Develop. I've attached a pdf with Darktable on the left and ACDSee on the right. This slight lack of contrast appears from raws from two Nikon bodies: D80, D7100.
    I do not see this dulling with any other photo application including Darktable and ViewNX-i. Better, more comparisons are available if needed.

Am I doing something wrong or is this normal behavior and I will need to process many of my pictures.
    Something does not seem correct.

Your help would be appreciated.
    Attached Files

RAW files incorporate a embedded jpeg file.
    In View mode you can select to view the RAW file only or to view the embedded jpeg.
    The switch for this is shown at the bottom right of your photo to the left of the zoom slider (a white and blue vertical stripe).
    If you select "RAW decode" then when you open a photo you will be presented briefly with the embedded jpeg and then the RAW file is displayed.
    A RAW file is more dull to look at than the embedded jpeg because it has not had the processing that the jpeg receives in-camera.

Develop mode goes straight into RAW decode (it looks dull because you need to process it).

Hope this helps, Dave.

Comment

I understand and am aware of the button. Did not know it started with the imbedded JPG when in the RAW decode mode.
      Why do at least three other applications show a 'more developed' picture? They too are showing RAWS.
      Is there something I can turn on or set as a standard to do some preliminary processing to the RAWS. This 'dull' effect appears to be on all of my RAWS from 3 different camera bodies only in ACDSee.

Comment

Originally posted by DenS View Post
        Nikon 7100 raw images. When viewed in ACDSee raw decode the image appears OK for ~ 1 sec a blinks to a new image with reduced contrast. This happens in View, and Develop. I've attached a pdf with Darktable on the left and ACDSee on the right. This slight lack of contrast appears from raws from two Nikon bodies: D80, D7100.
        I do not see this dulling with any other photo application including Darktable and ViewNX-i. Better, more comparisons are available if needed.

Am I doing something wrong or is this normal behavior and I will need to process many of my pictures.
        Something does not seem correct.

Your help would be appreciated.

I'm a newcomer to this forum and to ACDSee so I'm still on a learning curve. I'm not seeing any significant difference between RAW images developed in ACDSee and other RAW processors such as ACR and AfterShot Pro. It's an interesting point you raise though. Generally a default tone curve is applied as part of the RAW processing to improve the contrast and appearance of the image. This is either done in camera for in-camera jpegs or in the external RAW processor. With the latter, this is often a process that is transparent to the user.

I notice in the ACDSEE Develop Tune section under Tone Curve there is a drop down box which allows you to select either the Standard TC adjustment (default usually linear) and Camera TC. I'm not entirely sure about this but I think that the Camera TC probably does the job that I mentioned in the previous paragraph. The screen grab below shows what mine looks like. I would suggest that you check what it looks like in your software and also have a play with it to get a bit more contrast. If you get something you are happier with you could save the new settings as a default.

Dave

Comment

Working...
        X