Face Recognition - Back Catalogue

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Face Recognition - Back Catalogue

So I have tagged a few dozen faces - how long does it take for the program to scan the back catalogue and find more than just the images I have looked at onscreen?

I have 'scanning for faces' on my bottom toolbar - just the number of images never seems to go up when I click on a name.

Hi johnjbloomfield,

The best way to ensure accurate facial recognition is to first tag a few faces of each person you want recognized, and then allow Face Detection to start scanning more files. Facial Recognition will work better and better the more correct examples it has – essentially you need to “train” it a bit to recognize each person. This applies to any incorrect names you find too. The earlier you correct them, the less likely they are to influence recognition in future.

With the few dozen faces you’ve already tagged, it looks like you’re off to a good start, but we recommend that you continue to tag manually if there are people you haven’t named yet.

How long Face Detection & Facial Recognition takes to run on an image greatly depends on several factors, including the size and format of each image, your computer’s CPU and hard drive speed, and the number of faces in the image. Generally, a large JPG or TIF will finish in about 1-3 seconds on a fairly fast computer. RAW images take slightly longer due to their longer decode times.

So a large back catalogue can take some time to complete, but Face Detection will continue to work away on its queued images while you are in Manage mode. If you see “scanning for faces” on the bottom toolbar, Face Detection is doing its job! Face Detection will automatically pause when you switch folders, batch process files, or switch modes, so you don’t have to worry about it slowing down other parts of ACDSee.

Thanks,
    Tristan H.
    ACD Systems

Comment

Hi Tristan

It seems to be getting there I have about 800,000 images though so glad to see I can shut down my machine and it will pick up again later.

Thus far it is making quite a few errors particularly with kids but I am dipping in an correcting where I can, and hopefully things will iron out.

What would be really useful though is the ability to look up all the images where the system sees a face but can't identify it - so I can manually tag them and speed up recognition.

Comment

Hi johnjbloomfield,

If you notice a lot of incorrect names, one thing you can do is to use the Remove Faces and Redetect Faces commands in Manage mode:
        1. Select all the photos you can find that have incorrect names. I've found that searching each name and adding images to the Image Basket is a good way to do this.
        2. In the Tools menu, select Remove Faces to remove all faces and names from the selected images.
        3. Again in the Tools menu, select Redetect Faces to run Face Detection & Recognition on the selected images again.

As long as you have a few correctly-named examples of each face in unselected images, this process should remove the incorrect names and rename the faces correctly. A couple of things to keep in mind before you try this:
        • Removing or redetecting faces will also remove any faces you created yourself with the Face tool, so it's best to clean up incorrect names before creating too many faces yourself.
        • Both commands run in the foreground, and while Remove Faces is extremely fast, Redetect Faces takes some time. So this may be something you want to run when you don't plan on using ACDSee for a while. The process can be cancelled at any time with no harm to the images, faces, or names.
        I've attached a screenshot that shows the location of these commands.

Thanks,
        Tristan H.
        ACD Systems

Comment

I'm having a lot of incorrectly identified faces as well. I've done the remove faces and redetect faces command with the same incorrect results. How do I stop the scanning for faces from running in the background? I'm thinking I need to remove all face data and start over without it running to establish some correctly tagged files first.

EDIT: I found what I was looking for and will give it another try, leaving off the face scanning until I manually tag some photos.
          Last edited by MichaelWPresley; 09-21-2018, 09:08 PM.

Comment

Hi Tristan

I had already worked that out to be honest it's quite intuitive.

What I mean would be useful would be if there was a way to view images where ACDsee has seen there is a face but has left the tag blank because it doesn't match anyone at all. I'm not sure if that is already in there or if it's something for future development.

Comment

What I have found though is that it isn't scanning the back catalogue after a while it seems to have settled only on images that I have looked at.

Is there a way I can make sure it keeps going on back catalogue?

Comment

there seems to be an option that enables the indexer to do this (Tools --> Options --> Face Detection)
                Allow Face Detection to detect faces while your computer is idle using the ACDSee Indexer. You can enable Face Detection to be undertaken by the ACDSee Indexer. The ACDSee Indexer will allow the Face Detection process to be done when your computer is idle and ACDSee is not running. This allows you to avoid having to browse all of your folders.

Comment

I think what happened is something else happened on the machine that meant ACDsee wasn't seeing it as Idle.

Comment

Working...
                  X