Categories & Collections

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Categories & Collections

Could someone please explain the difference between categories & collections in ACDSee Ultimate. Thanks Geoff

Both could be the same stuff with just different names, but ACDSystems preferred to invent a new triangular wheel :-)

This are pros and cons of collections compared to categories:
    + The list of collections can be filtered
    - There's no 'easy select' function for collections
    - Categories can be moved and turned into sub categories or a parent category. Categories can contain item and sub categories. Collections are divided into 'collection sets' and 'collections', Collections can't contain collections sets and collection sets can't contain items.
    - The fastest way to add a selection of items to a category is to drag'drop the category name onto one of the selected items. Collections don't have this feature.
    - Categories allow to create sub categories when drag'dropping a folder with sub folders, collections don't.
    - Bug? When displaying a collection, the items can not be drag'dropped to a category, although the cursor indicates this.
    - Selected items do not get indicated in the collections if the list is folded. Categories do highlight a parent category.
    - Bug? 'Enable setting categories, keywords, ratings and colour labels' also work for the list of collections in 'Properties-Organize' pane but not in the 'Collections' pane.

I definitively prefer the categories; the flaws of the collections are to numerous. However I would love to be able to filter my 8,000 categories too.

Comment

Thanks for the explanation Emil. Sounds like categories are the way to go. I'll have to have a good play around with them. Geoff

Comment

Hello Emil,

About "When displaying a collection, the items can not be drag'dropped to a category, although the cursor indicates this." and "Enable setting categories, keywords, ratings and colour labels' also work for the list of collections in 'Properties-Organize' pane but not in the 'Collections' pane.", I tried to reproduce the issues but had no luck yet. Here is what I was trying:

1) Created a collection and assigned few images to the collection.
        2) From collections pane viewed that collection and assigned some of the files to categories by dragging and dropping them. I was also able to set keywords, ratings and labels while viewing the files from the collection which was selected in the collections pane.

Are you trying a different workflow that's not letting you to drag and drop them to categories or letting you set keywords, ratings and labels? If so, can you kindly let me know the process?

Thank you,

Shakil H.
        ACD Systems

Comment

Originally posted by S.hussain View Post
          About "When displaying a collection, the items can not be drag'dropped to a category, although the cursor indicates this."
          Oh no, it's even worse! I tried this once more and found that some of my categories are "write protected" again. It's completely impossible to assign images to them. This issue has been reported before: Link

After switching to a brand new empty db it indeed is possible to drag'drop images from a displayed collection into a category. So now I have to convert my db from v11 once more.

"Enable setting categories, keywords, ratings and colour labels' also work for the list of collections in 'Properties-Organize' pane but not in the 'Collections' pane."
          Here's a screen shot:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	47267

Attached Files

Comment

Working...
          X