Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Want to rebuild metadata part of my ACDSee database - but not facial recognition part

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Want to rebuild metadata part of my ACDSee database - but not facial recognition part

My ACDSee database continues to "remember" lots of IPTC metadata values which have been changed or removed from all of my photos. If I click on one of these orphaned metadata values in the automatic categories pane, no photos are found (because in reality no photos still have those IPTC values).

So.. I'd like to completely recreate my ACDSee database... BUT.. I don't want to lose my existing facial recognition data, including all the faces that I have manually identified.

Is it possible to just rebuild the metadata part of the database, and not the facial recognition part?

Thanks,

Jay

Since upgrading from Ultimate 2018 to Ult 2019, the database is slow and a lot of keywords have been dropped off. Never had this issue with previous version upgrades. Maybe the Facial Recognition is causing database issues???

Comment

Hi JayUSA,

I have experimented with a few IPTC fields, but have been unable to reproduce your issue. When I remove the last instance of a particular metadata value from an image and refresh the file list, it is removed from Auto Categories. The exceptions are IPTC Keywords and Supplemental Categories, both of which use a picker dialog instead.

Which metadata fields are you having this issue with? Also, are you removing or changing metadata from inside ACDSee, or from another application?

Thanks,
      Tristan H.
      ACD Systems

Comment

Hi mrstewy,

I'd like to get some more details from you about the issues you're experiencing.

Re: Slow database
        1. When you say that the database is slow, which features seem slower than Ultimate 2018? Searching, browsing, or something else?
        2. Have you tried optimizing your database from Tools > Database > Optimize Database?
        Re: Keywords
        1. By "dropped off", I assume you mean that some keywords appear to be missing. Are you talking about IPTC keywords, individual ACDSee keywords, or Quick Keyword sets? Where in the application are the keywords missing from? Are any other metadata fields missing values?
        2. Did you convert your Ultimate 2018 database in 2019 through Tools > Database > Convert Database?
        Thanks,
        Tristan H.
        ACD Systems

Comment

Originally posted by Tristan H View Post
          When I remove the last instance of a particular metadata value from an image and refresh the file list, it is removed from Auto Categories. The exceptions are IPTC Keywords and Supplemental Categories, both of which use a picker dialog instead.
          Have you ever tried this with a real live database? For me it takes 70 seconds to a delete a single unassigned IPTC keyword.
          Last edited by Emil; 11-08-2018, 02:42 AM.

Comment

Tristan, thanks very much for your note. Your message made me think a little more if I was doing something unusual. And it seems I was.

Here's what I was doing originally:
            1. If I noticed an "orphaned" IPTC Keyword value, I would confirm it was orphaned by clicking on that value in the Keyword Auto Category (no photos would be found)
            2. I would open some other photo, open the Metadata panel, and open the Keyword picker for that photo
            3. I would select Edit List and remove the orphaned keyword, then Okay out
            4. I would Refresh All the panes
            6. Frustratingly, the orphaned Keyword would still be in the Keyword Auto Category
            7. I would Optimize The Database, selecting both options
            8. Frustratingly, the orphaned Keyword would still be in the Keyword Auto Category
            9. I would re-start ACDSee Ultimate
            10. Frustratingly, the orphaned Keyword would still be in the Keyword Auto Category

But! Thanks to your message, I tried changing my process and I discovered that the culprit was Optimizing The Database before restarting the Application.

If I re-start the app without first Optimizing the Database, the orphaned Keyword disappears from the Keyword Auto Category!

Success! Thnak you!

Comment

+1 Emil. I experience the same timing as you for IPTC keyword editing.

Comment

Working...
              X