Ultimate 2019 IPTC Search and replace

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ultimate 2019 IPTC Search and replace

Sigh. Late night editing sessions and inadvertent inclusions have ended up with a IPTC keywords list that is populated with misspelled keywords and others that may have been appropriate once but are now superfluous.I could live with the 'wrong' keywords if I could edit the keywords list to only include the keywords I want to use regularly. Even better would be a search and replace functionality that:

1. Gave an accurate sense of how long the search has run and what times remain. (Some searches seem to be well over 12 hours long...)
    2. Even Better: some database performance for search and replace functionality that has some speed.
    3. Ability to suppress certain keywords from being auto-populated at entry time (so I could ignore the keywords I don't want to use, and still take advantage of entry disambiguation.

If for some reason I'm overlooking any functionality that accomplished this at a pace that's a little bit faster than 'glacial', please let me know.

Thanks!

To help with search speed, It may be worth performing Tools > Database > Optimize Database. I do this at least every month... maybe every week.
    (There is not a search I can think of that should take 12 hours unless the database was at some remote location accessed over a slow connection)

I have had a request into ACD for better IPTC keyword management (including renaming, correcting spelling, etc) for many years. The way to edit things today, at best, is kludgy. I would personally forgo 100% of all feature upgrades in PhotoStudio in favor of database, metadata, and keyword management modernization. This request never makes the top 5. But somehow facial recognition did.

Comment

Thanks!

It should be better... I've deleted the catalog, re-cataloged the entire archive, and somehow the catalog didn't import the file ratings which I believe are IPTC data? Is there a workaround that would enable me to bring in the ratings?

Comment

Hi AWH,

Ratings are ACDSee metadata, not IPTC, so they are stored in the database by default. However, it is possible to embed them in the files like IPTC metadata using Tools > Metadata > Embed ACDSee Metadata.

Ratings are supposed to read from the file automatically on browse if they were embedded, so I fear that your ratings may have been lost when you deleted the database. If you did embed them and they haven't appeared automatically, I suggest that you try re-cataloging a folder with Tools > Database > Catalog Files. Ensure that "Import ACDSee organizing information" is checked. You may want to try this on just one or two folders to quickly see if it will recover the ratings.

If you did not embed the ratings in your images, they will only be recoverable from your old database. Is it still in the Recycle Bin?

Thanks,
        Tristan H.
        ACD Systems

Comment

I am not sure it is entirely correct to say ratings are not part of a files metadata.

Go to any JPG file on you computer.
          Rt. Click > Properties Details > Description > Ratings > [choose stars]

As a mental model, it may be better to understand that ACDSee can write metadata to the file if the user allows it, else ACDSee will lock that data to it's own database or sidecar file.

Embedding metadata in the file helps recovery when you eventually need to rebuild/replace the ACD database. This rebuild/replace has been proven inevitable to me.

Comment

Hmmm. I have over 973K astronomy image (.jpg) files and when I attempt to embed metadata,the process takes over 10 hours, but never completes. Instead, it appears to crash (Don't really know as I've never been at the console when the process dies,and there are no archived error messages I'm aware of.) (?) It appears that the process handles a few hundred thousand images and then croaks, so the next time I load Ultimate 2019, the process starts 'further along' and therefore I have some hope of completing this marathon someday.

Resulting Questions:

1. How long should embedding data take? (Yeah, I know it depends on HW. I'm interested in any benchmarks...) (my catalog files on maintained on a SSD but the images are on old-school rotating HDs...)

2. What is the maximum number of files processable in a embedding 'run'? When is a database too large? I take it I cannot somehow shard the database across multiple media unless they're pooled?

3. I take it that ratings in ACDSee are not the same data that Windows Explorer exposes as "stars" Is there a way to synchronize these data fields? I'd like to have my ACDSee ratings be written to the metadata that Windows Explorer can access and display, if not edit, so I can share the Ratings data with the files with colleagues who don't use ACDsee.

4. With the embed data flag set, terminating ACDsee is painful, with about 12+minutes spent waiting for the file scan to happen for flagged files to count the number of files where data is to be embedded or sidecared. I presume that the solution is to only occasionally set the embed data flag so that most of the time, I would quit the program without determining if I needed to embed any data?

I realize the breadth of my ask above. If anyone has any data to contribute one any particular question, that would be appreciated.

Comment

How long does it take...
              For me, "updating happens every time I close ACDSee. It only updates the metadata on the files I have changed IPTC information in that specific session. In my typical workflow it is very rarely over 100. It may take 15 seconds or so worst case

Maximum number of files
              I think the most I have done at one time is about 800... I do not know the max.

Star ratings
              Between ACDSee and windows, mine seem to be in sync. I don't remember doing anything special to get it to happen.

I would be happy to try to recreate the condition you are seeing. But I need a starting point. What operations were done when the "10 hour process" started happening?

Comment

I had just deleted prior catalog files, and was re-editing metadata on at least tens if not hundreds of thousands of image files (973K files total). I set the write metadata flag in options and started to quit the application from the File menu, triggering the process. Since then, I've started the application several times and then exited to re-trigger the process. Typically, then I go off to do something else more productive than watching the process. When I come back, the application is typically unresponsive, but drawing 30-50% of the CPU's cycles and typically locking up 8-10,000 MB memory. To date, I am unable to get any response from ACDSee short of closing the two instances in the Task Manager. Restarting the application flashes the title dialog, but then the application's main window doesn't come up within ~10 minutes. Eventually it does launch and seems entirely functional. However, when I attempt to exit, the metadata embedding process begins again. One significant change is that the process seems to start ~100K files further than previously. Initially, the system seems to read files quickly but the displayed file names in the progress dialog rapidly slows. At that point, I typically go onto other business,and the cycle continues.

Comment

I should note that between a few of these abortive embedding runs, I have run (sucessfully) database optimization pases in the vain hope that database optimization might enable a complete embedding run. No such luck yet.

Comment

Hi AWH,

As to the question of ACDSee ratings and Windows "stars", if the rating is embedded in the image, it will automatically appear as Windows "stars" in file Properties > Details.

One thing you can try is embedding metadata in fewer files at a time. If you select some files, you can use Tools > Metadata > Embed ACDSee Metadata > Embed in Selected Files. This will only affect files, not folders, so unfortunately it isn't possible to select a folder and have its contents recursively embedded. However, if you multi-select folders from the Folders pane or run a search, you can control how much you select and hopefully avoid whatever issue is causing the lockups. The Catalog pane has a special 'Embed Pending' item that will retrieve all images that need embedding, although with almost 1M images in your database, it will take quite a while to return the search results.

I would also recommend that if you want to try this method, that you temporarily close the Properties pane.

Thanks,
                    Tristan H.
                    ACD Systems

Comment

Just FYI, after many Embedding sessions where ACDSee quit after processing ~100,000 image files, I finally completed the embedding runs, and apparently all is well. It would have been nice if:

1. ACDsee displayed some sort of progress and error diagnostic message when the runs aborted.
                      2. That whatever memory leak caused the sessions to die was fixed, or that the application would display the maximum number of image files that should be processed in one run. (Batched runs so I could 'set and forget' as ACDSee ran multiple, smaller embedding runs, serially.

Comment

Working...
                      X