Frustrated by Keywords

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frustrated by Keywords

Can someone please explain to me why my keywords keep disappearing? This is incredibly frustrating.

Hi garysibio,

There are several kinds of keywords in ACDSee, and multiple places where they are shown. I'd like to get a few more details from you if possible.
    1. Are the disappearing keywords IPTC keywords, individual ACDSee keywords, or keyword sets from Quick Keywords?
      1. If they are ACDSee keywords, do you typically embed them in the images, or store them in the database?
    2. What pane or other location are the keywords disappearing from?
    3. Are any other types of metadata disappearing?
    4. Have you recently performed any actions on the database, such as converting, importing, or optimizing?
    Thanks,
    Tristan H.
    ACD Systems

Comment

Originally posted by Tristan H View Post
      Hi garysibio,

There are several kinds of keywords in ACDSee, and multiple places where they are shown. I'd like to get a few more details from you if possible.
      1. Are the disappearing keywords IPTC keywords, individual ACDSee keywords, or keyword sets from Quick Keywords?
        1. The keywords I enter into the Keywords field in the ACDSee Metadata.
        2. If they are ACDSee keywords, do you typically embed them in the images, or store them in the database?

Embed them in images
      2. What pane or other location are the keywords disappearing from?

ACDSee Metadata
      3. Are any other types of metadata disappearing?

Nothing else disappears but I lose any line breaks in the Notes. The text remains but it all collapses into one paragraph. Also annoying but not as much as the disappearing keywords.
      4. Have you recently performed any actions on the database, such as converting, importing, or optimizing?

I updated to Ultimate 2019 but it happened before that also. It always happens when I upgrade but it also seems to happen at random times also. For example, I added some keywords to some images on Monday to a bunch of images. I made sure to embed. The next day I looked at them and all of the keywords had disappeared and the notes had collapsed into one paragraph.
      Thanks,
      Tristan H.
      ACD Systems

Would it help if I entered the keywords into the IPTC keyword field?

Gary

Comment

Long ago, I went to ONLY using the IPTC keywords as I was a) never able to figure out how the others worked, or maybe b) the other are broken. The good news for me is the IPTC keywords seem to work for me.

Comment

Hi garysibio,

Since you've embedded the keywords in the files, it should be possible to get them back into the database. Click Tools > Database > Catalog Files, and ensure that "Import ACDSee organizing information" is checked. Then add some folders with images that have missing keywords, and click Start. You may find that unchecking "Build and include thumbnails in database" speeds up the process. I would also recommend that you start with just a couple of folders, to make sure this will work in your case.

I can't really say whether or not IPTC keywords will meet your needs better than ACDSee keywords, but if you do decide to convert, the Help article "Manage Mode > Organizing > Adding Metadata to Files and Using Presets" has a section on transferring metadata from one field to another using Metadata Presets, in the section "Notes for Inserting Data into the Manage Presets Dialog Box". This should make things a lot easier than transferring by hand.

Thanks,
          Tristan H.
          ACD Systems

Comment

Originally posted by GusPanella View Post
            Long ago, I went to ONLY using the IPTC keywords as I was a) never able to figure out how the others worked, or maybe b) the other are broken. The good news for me is the IPTC keywords seem to work for me.
            Thanks. I'm going to give this a try.

Comment

Originally posted by Tristan H View Post
              Hi garysibio,

Since you've embedded the keywords in the files, it should be possible to get them back into the database. Click Tools > Database > Catalog Files, and ensure that "Import ACDSee organizing information" is checked. Then add some folders with images that have missing keywords, and click Start. You may find that unchecking "Build and include thumbnails in database" speeds up the process. I would also recommend that you start with just a couple of folders, to make sure this will work in your case.

I can't really say whether or not IPTC keywords will meet your needs better than ACDSee keywords, but if you do decide to convert, the Help article "Manage Mode > Organizing > Adding Metadata to Files and Using Presets" has a section on transferring metadata from one field to another using Metadata Presets, in the section "Notes for Inserting Data into the Manage Presets Dialog Box". This should make things a lot easier than transferring by hand.

Thanks,
              Tristan H.
              ACD Systems

OK, I tried this and it worked. The keywords were restored. But what I want is for them to stop disappearing in the first place. Being able to undo a problem is not solving the problem.

Gary

Comment

Originally posted by GusPanella View Post
                Me too, although they lack some features. Eg: Grouping.
                I also notice AC rereading meta data and thumbnails for images edited long time ago.

Comment

Working...
                X