Evaluating Product - Question re Develop vs Edit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Evaluating Product - Question re Develop vs Edit

Hello. I am evaluating ACDSee Ultimate 2019 as a possible replacement and/or enhancement to Lightroom. I looked at the product many years ago and I have to say I am impressed with how far it has come, and surprised it hasn't hit my radar. In the past year or so, I have looked at and tried many photo management systems, and this one just popped up for me a few days ago.

I did a search on this and found a few references, but not really what I was looking for. I would like to hear when and how people use develop vs edit. At first blush, it appears that edit has far more features, so why wouldn't I just go there first? I've watched a couple of introductory videos, but they didn't really explain the difference. Would love to hear and understand everyone's workflow.
    Thanks and hope to spend a lot of time in this forum.

Welcome to ACDSee Ultimate. I am a RAW photographer (Canon EOS M5 CR2 files) and Develop mode is designed for RAW images, although you can develop a jpeg if you choose to. I can accomplish everything I need to process a RAW image from simple white balance and levels through to complex black and white conversions from Develop Mode. The local adjustments (brushes and graduated filters) are excellent for adjusting localised areas in the image.
    If you are a non-RAW (jpeg) photographer you may prefer to use the Edit mode with its layered ability (similar to photoshop). You will also need Edit mode if you use plug-ins such as the NIK plug-ins like SilverFX pro or if you like to build composite images using layers.
    Hope this helps and a Merry Christmas.
    Dave.

Comment

That's very helpful. Thanks. I also shoot RAW. I guess I'm just going to need to dig in and work through all the panels. Also, can anyone recommend a good series of tutorials and/or videos? From the looks of things, these could be for 2018 or 2019. The ones I've found from ACDSee are either too brief, or in the case of the workshop videos, very slow and tedious. I may buckle down and watch those if that's the best option, but after 10 minutes into a one hour video, I really hadn't learned anything. Thanks again.

Comment

If edit mode is used in the classical way (meaning without layers) it is a so called “destructive editing” mode, whereas the develop mode is always a non-destructive mode.

This means that in develop mode, I could make a crop and any of several other changes like white balance, colours, tones, vingnettes etc. etc and I can come back some days later and completely change that original crop if I decide to do so. The original is always there and I can modify any of the features or masks that I had changed before in develop mode.

But in edit mode if I crop first then go on to make those other changes and then save the result I can’t come back and modify that original crop, because the part of the image cropped away has gone (destroyed) I’d have to start again from the ,hopefully still existing, original, make the new crop then make all the other changes again.

However, if you use layers cleverly in edit mode it is also possible to also achieve a type of non-destructive editing in edit mode
        Last edited by Trevor; 12-19-2018, 09:40 AM.

Comment

Adding to Trevor's comments, Develop Mode is also the best approach in terms of time and productivity. You can "Batch Develop" multiple images in one operation using presets. You can copy & paste Develop settings. Overall, you can Develop your images in a fraction of the time it takes in Edit Mode. You should test this yourself.

Comment

Hello,

If you haven't already done so please check the ACD Community page (link is below). Next year we plan to release a series of short how to videos.

Regards,
            Mark

https://community.acdsystems.com/

Comment

Thanks all, I think I'm getting it. It would be great if you could move some sliders around like in Capture One. There are a couple more I would have like to have seen in Develop, making a trip to Edit less necessary unless I did want to use layers. For instance, Smart Erase. BTW, this tool, with my limited testing does as good a job of any I have seen, including Photoshop.

Comment

Also, Kudos for the user guide. An actual 500 page documentation rather than treating docs as an afterthought.

Comment

Working...
                X