Three-Tier Keywords?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Three-Tier Keywords?

I cannot seem to get a three-tiered keyword set going: new york|queens|astoria
    It will tag my photos with astoria<queens, but not include the new york tier, and I cannot tell why.
    queens<new york works fine, as does astoria<queens and bronx<new york

Thank you!

Hi egyptinside,

I'm afraid that I am unable to reproduce this issue. I was able to create your Astoria < Queens < New York hierarchical keyword from several different places and apply it to images.

What version of ACDSee are you using, and what OS? Where are you creating the keyword from? Is the issue specific to this keyword combination, or will any three-tier keyword be truncated to two tiers?

Thanks,
    Tristan H.
    ACD Systems

Comment

Tristan,
      Thanks for the quick response!
      I tried making the hierarchical keyword in the "Quick Keywords" section, and it doesn't work with any three-word tiers I have tried.
      In the Quick Keywords section, I have entered (as a test): big|medium|small. Clicking this results in photos being tagged with *just* "small," as you can see in the two attached screenshots. It also only shows "small" on the Quick Keywords button, FWIW.
      The words do show correctly tiered in the keywords section of the Catalog pane, but just don't seem to apply fully.
      I am using Ultimate 2019, on Windows 10 with the latest update.
      Attached Files

Comment

Hi egyptinside,

This is actually intended behavior. When you added the keyword 'Astoria < Queens < New York' to the first image, you were doing two separate things: Creating a group of hierarchical keywords, and assigning the keyword 'Astoria' to the image. 'Queens' and 'New York', which are separate keywords, were not assigned.

Although the higher-level keywords aren't visibly assigned to the image, you can still find the image if you search by those keywords. If you open the Catalog pane, Keywords section, and click the 'New York' keyword, you should find that any items that had 'Queens' or 'Astoria' assigned will also be shown. The reverse isn't true - if you assign 'New York' to an image, and click the keywords 'Astoria' or 'Queens', the image won't be shown. All of that is also true for searches in the Search pane.

I hope that helps explain how ACDSee handles hierarchical keywords.
        Thanks,
        Tristan H.
        ACD Systems

Comment

I see! But then, when the ACDSee keywords are copied over to IPTC keywords (for reference outside of ACDSee), only the single keyword is applied...the "small" or "astoria" keyword in our examples. I need *all* of the assigned keywords to be available in the IPTC metadata. I copy all ACDSee keywords to IPTC; don't want to rely entirely on ACDSee's database.
          Is this possible?

Comment

Hi egyptinside,

Unfortunately this functionality isn't currently supported in ACDSee. Because the 'Astoria', 'Queens', and 'New York' keywords are all separate, if only 'Astoria' is assigned to an image, transferring the keywords to IPTC will only transfer 'Astoria', not the other two keywords. I'll forward this to development for review.

The only workaround I can suggest is to deliberately check the other levels of the keyword hierarchy, or add the other levels to separate boxes in Quick Keywords and click each box. You could also create a Metadata Preset with all three keywords, but you would need to create a separate preset for each combination of keywords, so that probably isn't much use unless there is a combination of keywords that you use on a lot of images.

Thanks,
            Tristan H.
            ACD Systems

Comment

Manually adding all three keywords is exactly what I was trying to avoid by using a hierarchical keyword set, LOL.
              In my opinion, assigning hierarchical keywords should assign the entire hierarchy (in terms of tiers, as in: top-level keyword, mid-level keyword, *and* bottom-level keyword). Assigning only the bottom-level keyword kind of makes the whole thing moot (in my personal use-case). Thanks again for the quick and clear responses; I'm sad to see it just doesn't work the way I was hoping!

Comment

Working...
              X