Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Newby questions to ACDSee 10 Pro (workflow with RAW+JPEG, hierarchical keywords)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newby questions to ACDSee 10 Pro (workflow with RAW+JPEG, hierarchical keywords)

Hello,

​I'm new at using ACDSee. I tried Lightroom before, but I'm not happy with Adobe's subscription model.

I have two questions about ACDSee 10 Pro, unfortunately I didn't find an answer to them searching on the internet and this forum:

​1. My workflow is as follows: I develop my RAW files with Canon's DPP and then I generate a JPEG or TIFF file for each picture. In LR and other programs these pictures are grouped as one Image and I can assign Keywords to the in one go. How can this be approached in ACDSee 10 Pro?

​2. How can I write hierarchical keywords to an image file? I tried it, but the result was just like this (no hierarchy): kw1, kw1.1, kw1.1.1. Is it possible wit ACDSee to embed also the hierarchy to a file?

​Thanks in advance for any help!

Martin

For the hierarchical stuff, you may want to look into ACDSee Categories. I don't use "categories" as my work flow is different. With categories, their is a way to write those values into the IPTC keywords field of the file. Thus lining the categories to the keywords. There is directions on how to do the categories to IPTC keywords in the Ult10 forum. Sorry, I don't have a link to provide.

​With regards to grouping images. I do not know how to do this specific workflow in ACDSee. What you can do (and maybe there is a better way).... is sort files by name select the multiple fiels that you want to have the same IPTC data (cntrl-click), then edit the IPTC keywords, then press enter after editing the last keyword. All files that were selected will have the same IPTC data changes applied.

Comment

E
      Originally posted by martin.l View Post
      Hello,

​I'm new at using ACDSee. I tried Lightroom before, but I'm not happy with Adobe's subscription model.

I have two questions about ACDSee 10 Pro, unfortunately I didn't find an answer to them searching on the internet and this forum:

​1. My workflow is as follows: I develop my RAW files with Canon's DPP and then I generate a JPEG or TIFF file for each picture. In LR and other programs these pictures are grouped as one Image and I can assign Keywords to the in one go. How can this be approached in ACDSee 10 Pro?
      ACDSee doesn't have a stacking function. As a retired Database Administrator, I know it is not particularly easy to accomplish in a hierarchical database running on a SOHO type computer. It is MUCH easier to do in a relational database like Lightroom. But what the hierarchical database takes away, it gives back in operational speed.

As close as ACDSee can come is the 'Snapshots' function in the Develop tab. No, it is not as convenient, but it does work well.

2. How can I write hierarchical keywords to an image file? I tried it, but the result was just like this (no hierarchy): kw1, kw1.1, kw1.1.1. Is it possible wit ACDSee to embed also the hierarchy to a file?
      You can create a hierarchy of keywords and categories. You can add them manually, or you can use the quick keywords infrastructure. If you add a hierarchy tree that looks like:
      • D
        • E
          • F
      You can add keyword "F" to a photo and naturally search for Photos with the Keyword "F". BUT you can also search on the keyword "D" and find the same photos as those found with an "F" search. However, there is a 'gotcha'. If there is more than one hierarchy with the keyword "F" in it, when you do a search on keyword "F", you will get all instances of "F" regardless of the hierarchy. And if you search on just a "D" you will find only those "F" keywords that are a part of the "D" tree.

Below, I created a video that illustrates how to add keywords with the quick keyword infrastructure, and then two searches, one for "F" and one for "D" where both searches return the same value. I'm tired, and it's late, so the production value isn't very high:

I also wrote an article on doing searches in ACDSee. It is written for Smart collections, but the Search functionality is virtually identical:

http://glenbarrington.blogspot.com/2...in-acdsee.html

​Thanks in advance for any help!

Martin
      Last edited by Glen Barrington; 02-20-2017, 06:49 PM.

Comment

Thank you for your help!

Comment

Working...
        X