Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Orphans not being removed during Optimization?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Orphans not being removed during Optimization?

Hope someone can help me to figure my problem out. I stupidly moved several folders full of photos outside of ACDSee (doh!) into a different folder but still within the ACDSee watched folder and now I have a huge legacy of 'orphans' that when I search for a photo come up in my search. I have attached a couple of screen shots to illustrate. The box that pops up when you try to 'view' the orphan suggests Optimizing the Database which I have tried, hoping to remove all the orphans This I have done several times but they still remain within ACDSee and are always shown in my search results.

Anyone got any bright ideas, I'd really appreciate it as I want to Upgrade to a new ADCSee product and don't want to import dud info into the new product!

Update: I forgot to mention that my photos are all held on my NAS rather than my laptop, I wonder if that is the problem and if there is a work-around for it.
    This is the message when I try to 'open' the orphan This shot shows the actual photo and the orphan that I can't seem to remove from the database?
    Last edited by helen_m_b; 11-15-2018, 03:40 AM.

Hi helen_m_b,

Thanks for mentioning that the images are on a NAS. By design, Optimize Database will not remove orphaned images from network drives. The rationale is that we wouldn't want to remove database information for all images if the network drive is disconnected when the database is optimized.

There is a way to manually remove folders from the database, using Tools > Database > Database Maintenance. Select a folder that no longer exists, and click Remove All DB Info. I strongly recommend that you back up your database from Tools > Database > Back Up Database before doing any manual database maintenance, just in case you accidentally remove database information that is still relevant. You may also want to consider embedding ACDSee metadata into files from Tools > Metadata > Embed ACDSee Metadata.

Thanks,
    Tristan H.
    ACD Systems

Comment

Since I suffered heavily with the Ut2019 update, I need to chime in. Photos on a network drive is quite mainstream. I wonder if this also explains why my 69GB database became 29GB when I rebuilt it from scratch. The promoted ACDSee advantage of file management is not entirely supported as one would hope.

The suggested workaround can work for orphaned directories but not orphaned files.

I am not sure Ult2019 operation is saving us from ourselves. There are many ways to handle the NAS issue such that ... by design... the tool could work properly. May be it it is just I that expects too much.

Comment

Thanks Tristan H, Unfortunately the folder that ACDSee thinks is still there can't be found in the folder contents only when I run a search for a specific photo by file name as GusPanella mentioned. Sadly I'll just have to manually delete each individual orphan as and when I find then but as you can't do this in bulk by highlighting more than one in a search result it's a bit of a pain (to put it mildly).
        I suppose what I'm really worried about is when I upgrade to a newer version of ACDSee and bring my existing data already stored in my current ACDSee product that it will also bring along all the orphan file info that I don't want!

Comment

I have come to depend on the side car files and the data embedded into the file itself..... followed by the long process of rebuilding the database.
          I am not sure if this keeps the "ACDSee categories" in tact as I stopped using those long ago in favor of the industry standard IPTC categories

Comment

Hi helen_m_b,

I just want to clarify something from your last comment. When you said that the folder can't be found in the folder contents, did you mean in Database Maintenance, or in the Folders pane in Manage mode?

I've realized that my instructions were a little lacking and that I should have included a screenshot. In the attached screenshot, note that the 'test' folder has been deleted outside of ACDSee, so the database still believes it exists. If I select the 'test' folder and click Remove All DB Info, the database information for the folder and its contents is removed (recursively). Database Maintenance can be accessed in Manage mode from Tools > Database > Database Maintenance.

If the deleted folder can't be found in Database Maintenance, I'm not sure how ACDSee could still be tracking images from that folder. In that case, I would recommend that you contact Customer Care, so that they can assist you further.

Thanks,
            Tristan H.
            ACD Systems

Comment

Hi Tristan H

Your reply was really helpful as it highlighted at least all the folders (of which there are many!) that are still showing in the database maintenance view that I had moved outside of ACDSee, so I now know why AC still thinks they still 'exist'. I hadn't thought to look via Database Maintenance. All I can do now really is individually click on each folder that has been moved outside of ACDSee and remove All Database info for them which will take some time but it's still quicker than right clicking each individual orphan as and when I find them. What a faff, I really wish there was a way to do this in bulk by using the usual Ctrl key to select multiple mouse clicks. Hoh hum so be it .

As I embed all my metadata onto all my photos I suppose I could just remove my network drive from ACDSee re-catalogue and then add it back in again and re-catalogue a 2nd time hope for the best! Unless you have a better idea?!

Thanks. H

Comment

Hi helen_m_b,

I had assumed that there were just one or two orphaned folders. If there are a lot, there is something else you can try.

If the folder structure is the same as before, and a single high-level folder was simply moved to another location on the network drive, you can also use the Change Binding command. Select the folder that was moved in Database Maintenance, click Change Binding, and find the new location of that folder. This won't really work if the folder structure has been altered, so I'm not sure if it will help in your case.

Removing the whole network drive from the database and re-cataloguing is an option since you've embedded metadata, but you should be sure to make a backup of the database first. It will likely take a while to re-catalogue everything, but it will certainly be less tedious than deleting and re-cataloguing individual folders.

Thanks,
                Tristan H.
                ACD Systems

Comment

Working...
                X