Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Latest Tutorial: Database Backup Tips and Strategies

Check out our latest tutorial.
    Every now and then it feels like talking about the database is a good thing to do. It’s mysterious. It’s helpful. And with a little information and some TLC, your database can grow up to be big and strong. Let’s recap: The ACDSee database stores information about your files, including EXIF information, file name and…

THANKS for that! As a retired Teradata DBA, paranoia was a survival skill, and not a flaw in my psyche. I'm very attuned to the idea that good backups make for long careers. Anything you do to bring this home to users of database oriented software can only enhance your stature as a professional who can be relied upon.

If anything, your article doesn't go far enough, We need to educate people in how to make the backup decisions they need to make (such as frequency, backup media, storage locations, etc.) as well as understanding ACDSee's role in backups.

Comment

How about the various templates, private folder, shortcuts, saved searches, metadata views, import presets, label groups, develop presets, ... ?

The db just is a fraction of the data to be covered by a backup routine. ACs backup routine is a false friend because it makes users believe that they are on a right-side after clicking a few buttons within AC.

Last edited by Emil; 04-06-2016, 10:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Emil View Post
        How about the various templates, private folder, shortcuts, saved searches, metadata views, import presets, label groups, develop presets, ... ?

The db just is a fraction of the data to be covered by a backup routine. ACs backup routine is a false friend because it makes users believe that they are on a right-side after clicking a few buttons within AC.

​Hi Emil,

You are certainly right. All templates, presets of all kinds, workspaces and toolbar customizations, etc., etc. , are as important, or even more, than database itself. After all, if you embed data into your files, you can always reconstruct your DB with Catalog.

MAU

Comment

Originally posted by MAU View Post
          After all, if you embed data into your files, you can always reconstruct your DB with Catalog.
          Nope, user defined sorting of folder content, event descriptions and some other data also is stored in the database, but afaik can not be embedded.
          Last edited by Emil; 04-07-2016, 10:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Emil View Post

Nope, user defined sorting of folder content, event descriptions and some other data also is stored in the database, but afaik can not be embedded.
            OK, I should have said: You can reconstruct MOST of you DB. Thanks for reminding me.

Comment

Working...
            X