Sony ARW vs. DNG

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sony ARW vs. DNG

I'm always shooting in RAW and my Sony NEX-5R creates ARW-files. ARW-files doesn't seem to support embedding of metadata, so ACDSee creates a sidecar file. When I used Lightroom I imported photos to DNG and DNG supports embedding of metadata. ACDSee can't convert to DNG.

I don't really care about the sidecar files, but it's nice to have the data embedded in the image file and hence I would like to go with DNG.

If I choose DNG I'll use Adobes free DNG-converter to import the files from my camera and then import the DNG's with ACDSee. It's not as simple as importing the files directly with ACDSee, but it's not a biggie.

Are there any other pros or cons with DNG vs. ARW?

That's what I hated with Capture NX2 and my NEFs, it was all in the images. Everytime I changed something, the hole image was changed. Beside of the risk of failures during the save-process, when I did the backup, the hole file had to be copied. The small sidecar file is so much faster to backup.

DNG could be a problem if you some day choose another RAW converter. Not all of them cooperate with DNG.

Comment

Originally posted by SCX View Post
      Everytime I changed something, the hole image was changed. Beside of the risk of failures during the save-process, when I did the backup, the hole file had to be copied. The small sidecar file is so much faster to backup.
      That's an excellent point! I have never thought of it, so thank you for pointing that out!

I have been running some tests to confirm and you are right! ACDSee does not touch my ARW-files when I adjust them in the Develop mode. Only the sidecar file is altered. That's a huge deal breaker for going with DNG and I greatly regret that I have most of my photos in DNG format :/ If I only had knew this years ago... But, better late than ever

Is there an option to force ACDSee to write to a sidecar instead of embedding in the image file?

Comment

Originally posted by Gutenisse View Post

Is there an option to force ACDSee to write to a sidecar instead of embedding in the image file?
        As far I I know, ACDSee does not embed any data in the raw file itself. Regardless of dng or native raw format, all raw files are treated as read only and all changes are written to the XML file. ACDSee will, if you tell it to embed the EXIF and IPTC data in the tif, jpg, and any other file formats that support embedded data. I think, even the tiny jpg that raw uses for a thumbnail is protected from writing as far as I know.

I went through the 'options' menu selection and saw no selections that would enable or prevent raw files having change data embedded within them.

Comment

If the file format has support for data embedding, ACDSee will embed development settings and other data in the file itself. I just made some development changes to a DNG-file and then checked the time and date for the DNG-file as shown in the pictures. "Skapad" is Swedish for "Created" and "Ändrad" is "Last changed" and as you can see the pictures was created September 20 and last changed October 11.

The second picture shows data embedded in the file - development settings and other data such as rating etc.

For my Sony ARW-files ACDSee writes all this to a sidecar XML-file.

Comment

Originally posted by Gutenisse View Post

That's an excellent point! I have never thought of it, so thank you for pointing that out!

I have been running some tests to confirm and you are right! ACDSee does not touch my ARW-files when I adjust them in the Develop mode. Only the sidecar file is altered. That's a huge deal breaker for going with DNG and I greatly regret that I have most of my photos in DNG format :/ If I only had knew this years ago... But, better late than ever

DNG among other things is really a wrapper similar to tiff and the writing is to the xml portion. Much better than having separate files and if you want you can have your raws archived in the same structure as your dngs. Best of all worlds!

Comment

From the Pro8 User Guide:

ACDSee Pro uses XMP to embed ACDSee Metadata into each file. Only some file formats and file extensions support XMP.
              These include GIF, JPEG, DNG, PNG, PSD, and TIF. In the case of these file formats, the ACDSee Metadata is embedded
              inside the file and so you can rename or move the file outside of ACDSee Pro and still be able to retrieve the ACDSee
              Metadata. For formats that currently do not support XMP, including RAW and ABR, the ACDSee Metadata is written to a
              sidecar file that is stored in the same folder as its file. Because a sidecar file is separate from the file itself, you need to
              rename or move them together, or you could lose the ACDSee Metadata permanently.

When new info is written to the DNG (GIF, JPEG,...) file, the XMP portion/area of the DNG is updated. I do not know how much of an added risk this action presents for corruption of the image portion of the file. I would guess [hope!] that the risk is very, very small.

The proprietary raw formats have the updated metadata info added to the separate sidecar file which should mean zero risk of corrupting the raw image file.

Comment

I use a Sony Alpha 77 and I only shoot in RAW (i.e. ARW). I've never had any issues with metadata, during or after editing and developing. All data, including GPS, etc.) are retained in the saved JPEG. As mentioned in previous comments, XMP metadata is not embedded in the RAW file, but it is written to the XML file, and embedded in the JPEG.

Comment

Working...
                X