Importing Lightroom database

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Importing Lightroom database

My main DAM tool is Lightroom, but for some time I'd been "experimenting" with a my licensed version of ACDSee and when v. 9 Ultimate came along and finally supported both my cameras I started using it more. I had built a separate database and was "learning by doing" in the develop and edit modes and checking out the speed and utility of keywording, color-coding, etc. I was not backing up or preserving this database as this was principally a test exercise.

I recently cleaned up my system and re-installed ACDSee Ultimate 9, still thinking about switching from LR. On an impulse I decided to try the Lightroom database import tool. The first thing I noticed was that there were not a lot of options in the wizard - you just tell it where your Lightroom catalog is, and which elements of the catalog you want to import (ratings, collections, etc.). I selected everything. I am fully informed that RAW adjustments made in Lightroom are proprietary and not imported, but I make TIFs of my final output and habe no masterpieces in process in LR. There is no cancel button once you start.

The process took about 7 hours (I have about 50K images), There was a process bar, and when it was nearly done (looked about 98% finished), I got an error message stating that ACDSee had encountered a problem and would have to shut down.

In re-starting, I saw that in the folders view, all previews appear to have been generated, star ratings are intact, and keywords work. However, I have a set of about 20 collections in LR. All Collections show up in the list in hierarchical order, but the image associations only were made in about 6 of them - the rest are empty. Evidently whatever interrupted the import happened at this stage. This is not a life-or-death issue for me (everything is still intact in Lightroom), and I suppose I could re-build collection associations in ACDSee from scratch, but I'm a lazy optimist.

Has anyone else tried the tool for importing from Lightroom? If so, if you run the tool again does it re-run the entire process again for can it perform a "repair"?

Any insight is welcome. Thanks.

I suspect most of us who are ex LIghtroom users and experienced ACDSee users as well, made the switch before the import utility was created (It's new to Ultimate 9). So we simply have no knowledge of this tool. Certainly not experienced with any Lr database of a good size. (Me? I switched 3 years ago and no longer even have a Lr database to play with).

I'm afraid you will likely need to contact ACDSee tech support to resolve this issue. I'm sure they are interested in learning about issues with Lr conversions of significant size. When you get this resolved, please let us know the outcome.

Comment

Glen - thanks for responding. I'll probably poke tech support about this. I'm in no particular rush. I follow you over on DP Review, and look forward to digging a little further into your experiences. I'll share anything I learn here.

DJB

Comment

Originally posted by Blue Donkey View Post
        ...On an impulse I decided to try the Lightroom database import tool. The first thing I noticed was that there were not a lot of options in the wizard - you just tell it where your Lightroom catalog is, and which elements of the catalog you want to import (ratings, collections, etc.). I selected everything. I am fully informed that RAW adjustments made in Lightroom are proprietary and not imported, but I make TIFs of my final output and habe no masterpieces in process in LR. There is no cancel button once you start.

The process took about 7 hours (I have about 50K images), There was a process bar, and when it was nearly done (looked about 98% finished), I got an error message stating that ACDSee had encountered a problem and would have to shut down....
        I'm trialing Ultimate 2018, and sad to say, I've had the same experience. The process bar was only at ~75%, still "Importing assets." To make matters worse, that little error message was hidden behind the ACDSee screen, so I didn't see it for days. It wasn't until I opened Task Manager, and found there was no CPU or disk activity that I began probing deeper, and found the error message.

That the issue has remained unresolved for 2 years and at least 1 update isn't looking very good. Without getting nasty, I'll just say I'm not impressed.

- Arved

Comment

Worked for me. Inevitably took a long time 100k images and videos. Keywords went over, collections and smart collections. Not sure how useful it is to retain these as the folder structure I have works well in Ultimate 2018. After import it wants to run and embedding routine which didn't take quite as long. Makes sense therefore to backup Lightroom including images before you do that in case you want to return. I did try changing a file before this by adding a keyword and deleting one file. Closed ACDsee and opened Lightroom LR recognised the changes and allowed the metadata to be updated and the missing photo removed. ACDsee at an official level doesn't support use on two computers using the same images. Also requires two licences which is not the case with Lightroom. Adobe seems to recognise you might just travel with your camera and a laptop!!! There is a thread on theis forum where user LV_Bill responds to a thread using the images on two computers and I'm following that advice and using software called Allwaysync. The key in his well documented procedure is to embed ACDsee metadata. Lightroom would object seriously to this so that is why I have a full image and catalogue backup which will stay untouched until the end of my trial and another version which I am trying out the use of the ACDsee database on PC and laptop. 30 day trial allows you to have Ultimate 2018 on one machine and a different product (I tried Standard for the laptop going out and about which seems to work with the same organiser but a much reduced editing function)
          Steve

Comment

Worked fine for me. 40K images. 25k small, 15k raw files with keywords, categories and collections. I had a bunch of nested collections too. I am on a AMD A9 graphics card, i7 Intel machine with SSD. I did see a slow memory usage rise, but it didn't bother me because the process finished for me within 1-2 hours.
            May be your computer specifications are not able to handle the slow memory usage rise over a import period of 7-8 hours (as you mentioned above)?

Comment

Sorry to drag up an old thread, but searched on this topic and found this. My question is, why import from Lightroom? I also am a long time LR user with about 40K images. I've only been playing with ACDSee a couple of days, but it's working fine without the import. All of my ratings, keywords etc are there. I suppose if you had made a lot of changes, but not saved the metadata to file, it would be useful, but since I started evaluating other products, I've tried to be careful and always do that. What are the advantages of the import? thanks

Comment

Originally posted by dbvirago View Post
                Sorry to drag up an old thread, but searched on this topic and found this. My question is, why import from Lightroom? I also am a long time LR user with about 40K images. I've only been playing with ACDSee a couple of days, but it's working fine without the import. All of my ratings, keywords etc are there. I suppose if you had made a lot of changes, but not saved the metadata to file, it would be useful, but since I started evaluating other products, I've tried to be careful and always do that. What are the advantages of the import? thanks
                In your situation, I would say there is not much use to the import. However, take my example. I have around 80k images, and my main computer is a laptop with an SSD harddisk, which are fast but not very big. So no space to put all the photos there. I index the newest photos, and then I move them offline to my backup disk. All tagging is done without the photos actually being there on my harddisk. Writing all tags to the photos would involve copying photos to my harddisk in batches, then writing the metadata for them, then moving them to the backup to make space for the next batch. Also, I tend to reorganise my keyword library once in a while, which would involve again moving all my photos back and forth to update their metadata.

So in my case, I really want ACDSee to be able to just import the Lightroom database.

Comment

Working...
                X