Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Copy UI settings to the new version

Hi!

Is there ANY way to migrate all UI settings (UI layout, thumbnail spacing and details etc.) to a newer version? I want to upgrade from Ult9 to Ult10 and don't want to manually set the Ult10 environment (as I did when upgrading from 8 to 9).
    Any tool, script, trick, tweak, reg hack,... will do.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers!

I don't know of any, most of that stuff is stored in the Windows Registry, so it is extremely difficult to identify, and very easy to get to, and very dangerous to move. This is yet again a good example of how what seems like a great idea can bite you in the Butt 10-15 years later. WAY too much of the supporting decisions and object creations a photographer makes in ACDSee gets stored in the Registry and people's expectations are changing as to how they want to interact with these sorts of things.
    Last edited by Glen Barrington; 09-23-2016, 06:50 AM.

Comment

BrucklynBoy - ACDSee does not contain a tool for saving and carrying forward the settings from one release to the next. It remains an outstanding programming request. Apparently, it's not as easy to program as we might think.

In my experience, replicating all the UI settings is actually quite easy. The really critical part is the Develop Mode Presets. These are 'remembered' if you are upgrading on the same PC. But, when you migrate to a new PC, the Presets are a critical resource which cannot be easily duplicated.

My solution is to use the Registry Editor (Regedit.exe) and export the Presets to a standalone .REG file. Then, I can import the Presets into the other PC. The location of this crucial Registry setting is: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ACD Systems\EditLib\Version 1.0\Develop\Presets\Global.
      Last edited by LV_Bill; 09-23-2016, 07:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by LV_Bill View Post
        BrucklynBoy - ACDSee does not contain a tool for saving and carrying forward the settings from one release to the next. It remains an outstanding programming request. Apparently, it's not as easy to program as we might think.

In my experience, replicating all the UI settings is actually quite easy. The really critical part is the Develop Mode Presets. These are 'remembered' if you are upgrading on the same PC. But, when you migrate to a new PC, the Presets are a critical resource which cannot be easily duplicated.

My solution is to use the registry editor and export the Presets to a standalone .REG file. Then, I can import the Presets into the other PC. The location of this crucial Registry setting is:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ACD Systems\EditLib\Version 1.0\Develop\Presets\Global.
        Maybe it's because of my DBA experience, but I'm never comfortable with telling people to edit the registry without knowing their technology background and experience, It's not the kind of thing that the technology challenged should be doing. Restore points should be taken before doing anything like this. BACKUP, BACKUP, BACKUP! Then backup the backups.

With computers, paranoia is a survival skill.

Comment

Hi Glen - While I agree that extreme caution is required whenever you modify your Registry, in the case of Exporting/Importing the Develop Mode Presets, it is the only option available that avoids mechanically recreating them. The dangerous part is not knowing exactly what Registry key affects what setting. Users who start guessing at Registry tweaks may (as you suggested above), really mess up their systems. That's why I posted the correct Registry location for migrating Develop Presets. That said, I do understand and agree with your note of caution.

Comment

Here's a more complete list.

Many settings are saved in the registry,
            - Import-> [HKCU\Software\ACD Systems\ACDSee Ultimate\100\]"Importsettingpresets" (not imported from older versions)
            - Label groups -> [HKCU\Software\ACD Systems\ACDSee Ultimate\100\LabelPresets] (copied from older versions)
            - Develop -> [HKCU\Software\ACD Systems\EditLib\Version 1.0\Develop\Presets] (shared with all versions)
            - Export (STRG-ALT-E) -> [HKCU\Software\ACD Systems\ACDSee Ultimate\100\Export] (not imported from older versions)
            - Meta data presets -> [HKCU\Software\ACD Systems\ACDSee Ultimate\100\BatchSetMetadata\Templates] (copied from older versions)
            - meta data Views -> [HKCU\Software\ACD Systems\ACDSee Ultimate\100\PropertiesPane\Metadata\Views] (not imported from older versions)
            - Image basket -> [HKCU\Software\ACD Systems\ACDSee Ultimate\100\Image Basket\files] (not imported from older versions)
            - External editors -> [HKCU\Software\ACD Systems\ACDSee Ultimate\100\Editors] (not imported from older versions)
            - Workspaces -> [HKCU\Software\ACD Systems\ACDSee Ultimate\100\EN] (for Engish version, '\100\DE' for german version)

others are in the users appdata:
            - saved Searches -> %LOCALAPPDATA%\ACD Systems\SavedSearches\V30 (oder version use 'V20')
            - Shortcuts -> %APPDATA%\ACD Systems\ACDSee\Shortcuts (version <v9 used ...\ACDSee\Favorites)
            - private Folder -> %LOCALAPPDATA%\ACD Systems\data\ (shared with older versions)

The list above covers settings for AC Ultimate v10. For other versions they are slightly different.

To me it seems risky to copy settings form one version to another, not because the manipulation of the registry, but because they might not be compatible.

But all this will not help to copy the all GUI settings from one version to another, because the workspaces only cover a small part of the settings. Many settings that change the GUI are saved to [HKCU\Software\ACD Systems\ACDSee Ultimate\100], mixed with other important settings that may not be compatible with older versions.

You could copy individual settings, but imho then it is easier and saver to reapply them in the new version.

Anyway, if you want to experiment, I suggest to export [HKCU\Software\ACD Systems\] into a reg file and try.

Comment

Emil - Thank you for the registry settings! I migrated my ACDSee Ultimate 10 to a new computer, and using the first batch of settings (HKCU) I was able to replicate my workspace on the new computer!

I would agree that if you aren't comfortable with exporting (and then importing) registry keys, you probably shouldn't do this! But if you are comfortable, this process took about 10 minutes total time and was well worth it! Thanks!!!

Dave

Comment

Working...
              X