ACDSee's OneDrive Integration

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ACDSee's OneDrive Integration

I've been playing around with ACDSee's root level integration with Microsoft OneDrive a bit. And this is seriously good stuff. I don't know why ACDSee's marketing department isn't making much more noise about this thing. Does any other software publisher have ANYTHING remotely similar? Not to my knowledge.

Basically, the integration makes your OneDrive look like just another part of your computer's hard drive, So far, I've found that your photo stuff on One Drive functions and displays just like it was on my hard drive, eve batch operations (Batch is a bit slow). All the metadata is there.

This makes managing online storage of photos extremely practical. I've also done a test DB backup of a single folder to OneDrive and it works.

If ACDSee systems is smart, they will try to get some sort of cross marketing and commission agreement on OneDrive upgrades going.with Microsoft. There should be some sort of package deal with ACDSee/OneDrive.

In my case, OneDrive is setup to sync local laptop directories to OneDrive Online. Both locations carry the same information. If I am at a different computer and place a file on OneDrive Online..... within seconds it is on my local laptop, too.

​Let's say I am in the field and my laptop is not connected to the internet. I create a new spreadsheet, work on some pics, etc.... and I am saving files to the OneDrive location. The next time I connect to the internet, everything is synced between local and web

​OK... no big deal so far.... Let's say you start keeping 100% of your files on OneDrive. Now, let's say your hard drive dies and you forgot to back things up.... Or... maybe you just get a new computer. Install OneDrive on the new computer, login to your MS account. Viola, your local OneDrive location is restored from the cloud. (To me, this is a big deal)

​Basically, everything you do in your OneDrive folder is done locally, then later synced to OneDrive Online. And vice-versa.

​All of this is part of Windows7,8,10. So less I am missing something, If you are a OneDrive subscriber, all applications have OneDrive access. For instance, I open up Affinty Photo... open a photo from OneDrive... save as /export etc... all works directly with OneDrive mapping.

​My local OneDrive Location is
    C:\Users\[username_here]\OneDrive\

​Attached is a screenshot using Notepad to access OneDrive.

The downside is only OneDrive Free has only 5G of space. 50G is $2/month. The 1TB plan is $70 per year.

Comment

Originally posted by GusPanella View Post
      In my case, OneDrive is setup to sync local laptop directories to OneDrive Online. Both locations carry the same information. If I am at a different computer and place a file on OneDrive Online..... within seconds it is on my local laptop, too.

​Let's say I am in the field and my laptop is not connected to the internet. I create a new spreadsheet, work on some pics, etc.... and I am saving files to the OneDrive location. The next time I connect to the internet, everything is synced between local and web

​OK... no big deal so far.... Let's say you start keeping 100% of your files on OneDrive. Now, let's say your hard drive dies and you forgot to back things up.... Or... maybe you just get a new computer. Install OneDrive on the new computer, login to your MS account. Viola, your local OneDrive location is restored from the cloud. (To me, this is a big deal)

​Basically, everything you do in your OneDrive folder is done locally, then later synced to OneDrive Online. And vice-versa.

​All of this is part of Windows7,8,10. So less I am missing something, If you are a OneDrive subscriber, all applications have OneDrive access. For instance, I open up Affinty Photo... open a photo from OneDrive... save as /export etc... all works directly with OneDrive mapping.

​My local OneDrive Location is
      C:\Users\[username_here]\OneDrive\

​Attached is a screenshot using Notepad to access OneDrive.

The downside is only OneDrive Free has only 5G of space. 50G is $2/month. The 1TB plan is $70 per year.

Gus, have you tried the ACDSee/OneDrive interface? What you are describing is the standard methodology most of the online services use. What ACDSee offers is root level integration of OneDrive, it functions as if it is a LOCAL drive. No sync folders are required.
      Last edited by Glen Barrington; 01-19-2017, 10:20 AM.

Comment

Yes, I do use the ACDSee/OneDrive interface... at least I think I do... There is that little OneDrive ICON in the Manage mode. Is there something else?

Comment

I just ran across this LINK. This seems to be the same icon I use in Manage mode.

​As a test, in ACDSee Manage mode, try a CNTRL-RightClick on the OneDrive icon, then select properties. This tells me the location on the local disk where the OneDrive files reside. As a second test,I browse to this location using explore and see the same files as in ACDsee manage.

Posts about onedrive written by acdseetutorials

Comment

Yeah. I went into "WOW" mode a bit early! I am seeing similar features/results with using ACDSee Ultimate and both Amazon Drive and Google drive. My "gut" feeling is that OneDrive is a bit faster that the other two. But since I'm using a somewhat older laptop while I travel, I need to test out how the two interact with ACDSee (and how quickly) with a more optimum PC set up.

I DO suspect, however, that an ACDSee product, in combination with any of the three online "Drive" products gets us MUCH closer to an adequate way to manage an online photos environment whether travelling or at home, than we have been before.

This is worth testing out much more thoroughly than most of us have done in the past.

Comment

I kinda' fell into the synced cloud usage mode as most of my work in progress stays in the local OneDrive folder. Which in turn automagically syncs to a cloud location. My main reason is for the ease with multiple machines. It is a pretty good feature, but it does require trust in the cloud.

Comment

Hi, I am setting up a new computer - a Surface Book so not a lot of storage on it. I have my Onedrive set up to not store everything on the computer but to save in Onedrive cloud. So when I click on Onedrive in ACDSee Ultimate it only takes me to the Onedrive on MY PC which does not have all of my photos. Is there a way to get ACDSee to access photos on Onedrive cloud?

Thank you,

Deborah

Comment

One way to do this is to map you OneDrive location to a drive letter on the PC. Then use ACDSee to access that drive letter.

Here is a set of directions that describe how to map a OneDrive location to a drive letter.

http://www.laptopmag.com/articles/ma...-network-drive

Comment

Working...
                  X