Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disappointed with Acdsee Studio 2018

Hi all,
    I am disappointed with Acdsee Studio 2018 (I am trialing it).
    It does not recognize:
    - Nef of the Nikon D850 ; lens Nikon 80-400 II
    - Olympus Em1 Mark II (body) ; lens Olympus Zuiko 12-100.
    No significant advances in this area.

And all the shortcuts (to my folders) are lost during the conversion of the database.
    Alaric (French)

Last edited by Alaric; 09-10-2017, 09:05 AM.

Originally posted by Alaric View Post
    And all the shortcuts (to my folders) are lost during the conversion of the database.
    You mean the "Shortcuts" pane? Files and folders here are not part of the database. They are a simple folder in "%appdata%\ACD Systems\ACDSee". You probably find a folder named "Favorites" there which is outdated. Rename it to "Shortcuts".

This language specific. For German language it used be be named "Favoriten" for several years, but now is named "Verknüpfungen". I don't know about any French versions.

Comment

Thank you, Emil, now, it's OK. In french, it's "Raccourcis" (= Shortcuts). I am trialing the english version of Acdsee 2018.
      Other thing : my list of the keywords has disappeared with this version. Need a big night to catalog my files. This morning, I have found my keywords. I don't know if it's normal to lose these data...

Exportation presets are lost... Windows database registry must be edited ! (to be continued (?)...)
      Last edited by Alaric; 09-10-2017, 07:27 AM.

Comment

Alaric,

I just want to say that all manufacturers have a little wait time when new cameras and lenses come out for their programs to recognize them. I am trialing Studio Ultimate coming from a different raw editor similar to Studio and it seems that a few of my lenses are not recognized by either (one is not even in the databases); I use a Nikon D90 which every program recognizes the NEF files. But I also own DXO OpticsPro 11 and all my lenses are recognized.

I can't speak of the other issues you are having as I am evaluating it based on it's photo manipulation abilities ... I haven't gotten into the whole management of photos as of yet even with my other programs. I know not very helpful but I just wanted to chime in because they all are similar.

Comment

For Lens correction...
          I believe ACDSee has decided to use "LensFun" as the correction engine. This means ACDSee users will be limited to the what is in the LensFun database. LensFun is OpenSource and relies on the user community to generate correction data. This allows ACDSee to check the "yes we have lens correction" box. But does come up a bit short when looking at things from an actual use perspective. The path today is to create your own lens correction data, send to lensfun, wait for ACDSee to release update. I think there may be a way to have the lensfun calibrations into the tool outside of ACDSee updates, but I haven't tried that yet.

DxO, as far as I could tell, made the tactical decision to own lens/camera and camera-to-lens correction in their DxO Viewpoint software. It would seem they have purchased (or have access to) most if not all lens and cameras from which they develop their own correction database to feed their correction algorithm, IMHO, this makes DxO the gold standard lens and lens/camera correction. This is a big undertaking. I do wish ACDSee could do the same.

​RAW (NEF) files follow a different path. Nikon just released Capture NX-D with support for the 850 about 5-days ago. Adobe did the same 3-days ago. Recent experience suggest ACDSee takes about 4-12 weeks after camera release to get the latest camera updates. This is better than 9-12 months it use to be,, but does lag Adobe and others. I hope that as the customer base for ACDSee expands, this becomes higher in priority, too.

​In a pinch, we can use the Nikon tool or use Adobe RAW to DNG conversion until the next ACDSee release. (This assumes the ACDSee is stall able to read DNG files).

Comment

Hello, NJPhotog.
            I understand what you mean. I just would like Acdsee, which ambition is to compete professional softs, to be more responsive... (Zuiko 12-100 dates from 2016 (december) ; Nikon 80-400 from 2013!).

I own Capture One, it recognizes all my lenses, all the recent raw files (D850 NEF included).
            I own Affinity Photo (Windows) : it recognize the nef of the D850... without update! Really! I don't know how it does!

Alaric (French)

Edit : not yet read GusPanella post...
            Last edited by Alaric; 09-10-2017, 08:42 AM.

Comment

@GusPanella

Thank you for your clarification... We agree about Acdsee policy...

Comment

Originally posted by Alaric View Post
                Other thing : my list of the keywords has disappeared with this version. Need a big night to catalog my files. This morning, I have found my keywords. I don't know if it's normal to lose these data... Exportation presets are lost...
                Hi!
                I have contacted Acdsee support in this regard and etc., this was the response (emphasis added):

Merci d'avoir contacté le service de la clientèle de ACD Systems International Ltée.
                Oui il faudra refaire les réglages si vous installez plus tard la version française et re-cataloguer. Désolé.

Nous sommes désolé, mais bien que le modèle "D850" (et les autres) ne soit pas actuellement inclus dans les modèles d'appareils photo pris en charge par ACDSee Pro 10 (ou 2018), nous espérons mettre à jour le décodeur RAW afin de l'y inclure dans un proche avenir. À l'heure actuelle il n'y a pas de date pour son inclusion, mais à la demande des clients, nous travaillons fort pour remédier à la situation.

S'il vous plaît noter que même si la marque et le modèle de la caméra est sur la liste:

http://www.acdsee.com/fr/support/raw-formats

Nous ne pouvons pas garantir le soutien pour les fichiers RAW pour cette marque et modèle de caméra, parfois pour des raisons techniques ou autres, des problèmes imprévus pourrait survenir qui se traduiraient malheureusement par le retard ou l'impossibilité de soutien pour un fichier RAW.

Merci pour votre patience et votre compréhension

Alaric (French)

Comment

Originally posted by GusPanella View Post
                  For Lens correction...
                  [...]
                  DxO, as far as I could tell, made the tactical decision to own lens/camera and camera-to-lens correction in their DxO Viewpoint software. It would seem they have purchased (or have access to) most if not all lens and cameras from which they develop their own correction database to feed their correction algorithm, IMHO, this makes DxO the gold standard lens and lens/camera correction. This is a big undertaking. I do wish ACDSee could do the same.
                  [...].
                  You are correct. That's the way DXO works, and that's why they are leaders (so far) in lens correction, or more properly, "lens+body couples" correction.
                  If I could make my dreams come true, I would mix ACDSee's overall concept of an effective and valuable competitor to Adobe and DXO's advanced capacities in lens correction (as described above) and de-noising (their PRIME algorithm is really impressive)

Comment

Working...
                  X