Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shadows and lights

Hello.
    What distinction do you make between « Highlight Enhancement / Fill light » and « Light EQ ? ».
    Why choose one feature over another ? Is there a technical reason ? Thank you.

Alaric (French)

I have found that not every photo is impacted the same way by the different tonality shifts that occur sue to the listed features. Although, the results can seem to overlap, to me some photos respond better to specific adjustment types. I have used the histogram to help understand the differences between how the different tools work. But in the end, it has come down to developing a feel for the tools.

In my case, for RAW adjustments:
    ​* Highligh enhancement: Seems to work in terms of tonal compression. I use this when I want to take the edges off, but keep details
    ​* Fill Light: Shift highlights to the right. For some reason, I tend to like exposure correction better.
    ​* Light EQ: Allows for tonal changes with great detail. Small movements in the sliders make for large differences in the images. I find the "basic" tool is what I use most. Can also be used to create un-natural ( but sometimes interesting) effects at the extremes of adjustment,

​I am curious, how are you using these features so far?

Comment

Thank you for your feedback.

At first , I « instinctively » used Highlight & Fill, because LightEq did not exist in my previous software (not in this way).

For my part, I think Highlight Enhancement / Fill light produces a more global effect than Light EQ.

When I discovered it (LightEq), I choosed the standard mode, with 9 tone bands. It allows me to modify lights and shadows with great accuracy, when only small areas should be lightened or darkened. From the third band (Brightening from the left; Darkening from the right), the cursors are very sensitive : white can become dark grey.

In short, I used Highlight & Fill for a global change or a large area in the image ; LightEq for small parts.

Comment

I rarely use the highlight/fill sliders, instead any changes that I want to make to highlights/shadows I'll generally do through LightEQ. I also use the standard mode with 9 band and will use my mouse to get the exposure close, and then will use the sliders to make smaller adjustments. For setting white/black point I go into curves, and will remove/add contrast by adjusting the curve. The only time I use fill light is in local adjustments when I want to bring up darker areas without affecting lighter tones; I generally like the results better than just increasing exposure in these areas.

Comment

Working...
        X