Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best workflow for desktop plus laptop

Hi,

As a lot of people, I have a laptop when travelling and a desktop at home (more comfortable). Knowing I made some changes in my new photos recorded with my laptop, what is the best way to synchronize my photos, database .... with my desktop when I come back home?
    Database and pictures stored in an external SSD ? Or some other combinations?
    For information, I use RAW from 5D IV and 7D II, so it seems difficult to go through a cloud.

Thank you,

José

Originally posted by Bugjoe View Post
    Hi,

As a lot of people, I have a laptop when travelling and a desktop at home (more comfortable). Knowing I made some changes in my new photos recorded with my laptop, what is the best way to synchronize my photos, database .... with my desktop when I come back home?
    Database and pictures stored in an external SSD ? Or some other combinations?
    For information, I use RAW from 5D IV and 7D II, so it seems difficult to go through a cloud.

Thank you,

José

This sounds like the identical situation and question I posed here (and have had zero responses to): http://forum.acdsee.com/forum/main-c...external-drive.

Apparently forum support for this type of "complex" setup is not a common way of doing things (scary to think everyone keeps all their data on a single use computer!). I'm not a professional, and I'm simply trying to organize my personal photos, but I realize the imperative nature of portability and redundancy.

So I am still learning the software (read barely used it), but I did purchase the Ultimate Pack while it was still on sale, because through my own basic testing I think I can make it work.

Here is what I did to test:

At Work:
    *Installed a trial version of ACDSee Ultimate on a spare work laptop.
    *Copied hundreds of random photos to a thumb drive
    *Created a new database on the thumb drive (on the work laptop with the database on the thumb drive)
    *Began categorizing, face recognizing, color coding, editing metadata, etc. etc. (on the work laptop with the database on the thumb drive)
    *Closed ACDSee Ultimate and safely removed the thumb drive (the weekend before the sale was ending the following week)

At Home:
    *Installed a trial version of ACDSee Ultimate on my home desktop.
    *Insert thumb drive (that database was on/changes had been made to Friday evening using work laptop)
    *Open database located on thumb drive
    *All changes made at work appeared to be there
    *Made additional changes over the weekend
    *Closed ACDSee Ultimate and safely removed the thumb drive

I then brought the thumb drive back to the work laptop on Monday, and everything appeared to still be there.

A few things I have noticed/considered:

*I had to end the ACDSeeCommanderUltimate.exe process in Task Manager for the thumb drive to safely remove (or it would keep saying it was still in use even with the program closed). I'm assuming this would also occur with an external HDD/SDD.

*I received error messages on both computers pertaining to the ACDSeeIndexerUltimate12. A "New Folder Failed- The system cannot find the path specified" and "ACDSee is unable to create the database, and will now close. Please make sure the following database file and its directory are accessible from this computer, and then restart ACDSee: F:\ACDSee Testing\ACDSee Portable Database Testing.dbin". These error messages appeared even with the program closed, and I believe there is an Indexer that can be turned on/off in the program settings that runs background processes with the program closed. So far, this did not appear to affect the portable databases, or the changes I made going in either direction.

*I'm assuming that once I jump in with my portable hard drives, speed of the database may become an issue. I accept this as a possibility, because I value portability over speed for my purposes.

*I also have decided to embed all metadata changes in to the files at the end of each session (before losing the program). This way if something does happen to the database, apparently this embedded metadata can be used to rebuild the database/catalogs/etc. by creating a new one.

I'm sure there will be plenty of other things I discover while beginning this project, but these are my initial findings. I wish you the best of luck in getting it to work in your chosen scenario as well!

dakinesnow
    Hi all, I have been interested in ACDSee Ultimate for quite some time (before the latest release), as a replacement for Google Picasa. I am choosing to not

Comment

Ok, this is something I was afraid of. The path is not the same for different computers, so sharing the same database is not a stable solution.
      With Lightroom, there is the possibility to merge 2 catalogs through the import process, it seems it is not the case for Acdsee.
      Thank you for sharing your tests

Comment

Originally posted by Bugjoe View Post
        Ok, this is something I was afraid of. The path is not the same for different computers, so sharing the same database is not a stable solution.
        With Lightroom, there is the possibility to merge 2 catalogs through the import process, it seems it is not the case for Acdsee.
        Thank you for sharing your tests

Actually, I forgot to include that I did that in my testing as well. The thumb drive I used was mapped as the "F" drive on both computers. The same is true for the portable HDD's that I use. I have an X drive, and Y drive, and those drive letters remain the same between work and home.

Comment

Bugjoe & Dakinesow -- Here's my completely different way of going about this. Namely, syncing ACDSee image libraries and databases across multiple computers. It's been my experience that trying to make my image library and ACD database truly "portable" is not the way to go. Yes, it's do-able, but I want fast, simple, and 100% bullet-proof.

My approach utilizes a key ACDSee feature which allows users to "embed" their metadata. That means storing metadata not only in a local ACD database, but also in the images themselves -- in special IPTC fields. Once you start routinely embedding your metadata, then as you sync images between computers, you are also syncing your metadata. The main command is: Tools > Metadata > Embed ACDSee Metadata > Embed in All Files. This technique frees you from being dependent upon any one ACD database. In fact, I never even think about ACD databases.

A key ingredient to using this technique is that you must have a high-quality file syncing program. I use Allway Sync. But there are lots of good syncing options available. Post back if you need any further info on using embedding to get rid of your dependence on the ACD database.

Comment

Originally posted by LV_Bill View Post
            Bugjoe & Dakinesow -- Here's my completely different way of going about this. Namely, syncing ACDSee image libraries and databases across multiple computers. It's been my experience that trying to make my image library and ACD database truly "portable" is not the way to go. Yes, it's do-able, but I want fast, simple, and 100% bullet-proof.

My approach utilizes a key ACDSee feature which allows users to "embed" their metadata. That means storing metadata not only in a local ACD database, but also in the images themselves -- in special IPTC fields. Once you start routinely embedding your metadata, then as you sync images between computers, you are also syncing your metadata. The main command is: Tools > Metadata > Embed ACDSee Metadata > Embed in All Files. This technique frees you from being dependent upon any one ACD database. In fact, I never even think about ACD databases.

A key ingredient to using this technique is that you must have a high-quality file syncing program. I use Allway Sync. But there are lots of good syncing options available. Post back if you need any further info on using embedding to get rid of your dependence on the ACD database.

Hi LV_Bill,

What you're doing doesn't sound completely different from what I am doing (so far in my testing). For my purposes, (as I mentioned above) "I realize the imperative nature of portability and redundancy". For me personally, portability is far more important than speed (at least during the organization phase of my project). I'm sure once I dive in to actual editing, speed may become more important, but I've relied on GIMP for years already for that.

From my first reply, I mentioned:

"*I also have decided to embed all metadata changes in to the files at the end of each session (before closing the program). This way if something does happen to the database, apparently this embedded metadata can be used to rebuild the database/catalogs/etc. by creating a new one."

I just didn't bold and describe the process of how I was doing that (thank you, it's very useful for others to know about that key feature). I also want to make sure to embed the universal IPTC and EXIF data changes in all files (in addition to the proprietary ACDSee metadata), so that the data can be used outside of ACDSee. I like flexibility as well.

I also use a file syncing program (FreeFileSync), and I mirror 2 5TB HDD's and 1 8TB HDD very regularly. So far the program has worked flawlessly for me over a long period of time using it (before embarking on this photo organization project).

I simply plan on creating the ACDSee database on my external HDD's, as well as embed the data in each file, so that way I have everything with me in both locations.

Thanks for your reply,

dakinesnow

Comment

I have a similar question to the OP. I'm in the process of jumping ship on Lightroom to switch to ACDsee and I'm wondering if it is possible with their mobile apps to sync or write the metadata file on the iphone. What I want is to ditch a laptop all together and just use my iphone to edit my photos when travelling. My problem is that when I edit/colour correct my images on my iphone, those edits do not follow when I want to transfer them to my computer. I don't know if there is a way in Lightroom CC but i'm sick of using Adobe products. Is there a way for my work flow to work with ACDsee?

Comment

Working...
              X