Remembering window position, state of program

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remembering window position, state of program

I find it surprising that ACDSee doesn't remember the position and size of its window, or any other program state between executions. I would very much like it if the following bits of state, among probably others, would be remembered and applied when the program starts up:
    • Window position and size, including which monitor it's on
    • The viewing mode - manage/view/develop
    • All viewing options - list/icon/thumbnail/etc...
    • When in manage mode, which folder is listed
    • When in manage mode, which folders in the folder-tree column are opened (disclosed) and which are closed
    • When in manage mode, the scroll position of the folder-tree column
    All of these seem like standard practice for a moden program. I'm hoping ACDSee can implement this soon!

Thanks.

Hi Schardt,

Thank you for the feedback.

> Window position and size, including which monitor it's on
    Do you have the Map pane open? I confirm there's a bug where the app window width isn't remembered correctly if the Map pane is open when you close the app. I've logged this in our internal bug tracking system. With multiple monitors, the ACDSee app window should appear on the monitor that's active when you launch the app.

> The viewing mode - manage/view/develop
    By design, ACDSee will open in Manage mode when you launch the app, or in View mode if you open a photo with ACDSee (some exceptions apply, for example if you have a filter applied that filters out the photo you're trying to open, etc). Currently, it's not possible to open the app directly in Develop mode.

> All viewing options - list/icon/thumbnail/etc...
    The file list view option (i.e. Thumbnail or List) should be saved. Can you provide more detail about the behaviour you're seeing?

> When in manage mode, which folder is listed
    In Preferences > General, set the Default Start Folder to "Folder from previous session".

> When in manage mode, which folders in the folder-tree column are opened (disclosed) and which are closed
    > When in manage mode, the scroll position of the folder-tree column
    I'll review this with the product team. Currently, by design, folders are initially collapsed except for the parents of the selected folder.

Regards,
    David

Comment

David, thanks for the reply so long ago. I ran out of time to deal with this back then so didn't follow up. Sorry about that. Now I have the time to respond:

No I do not have the Map Pane open when I close the app. But I do have two monitors (the laptop's and a large external). I always close the app with the window on the large monitor, and it always opens on the small monitor. I very much suspect that the app is simply not handling multiple monitors correctly.

It's been a while, I hope you can consider adding the functionality to open the app in Develop mode IF it it is being opened for a specific file. Same for when the app receives an "open" event from OSX with a specified file. It seems to me a no-brainer that if OSX says, "The user would like to view/edit this file" then the app would open it in Develop mode or at least View mode.

It DOES seem that list/icon state is remembered. Same for the current folder. Thanks!

I still feel that remembering WHICH folders are open in the navigation pane in Manage Mode is very important state to be remembered! Often one browses across several folders, and it's much easier to find those folders when only the folder heirarchies leading to them are open.

Similarly, I strongly feel that the little triangle to the left of each folder should only be visible if the folder contains an displayable image! This saves a lot of time when looking for image files and you're not sure which folder they're in.

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
      X