Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to import all custom settings from another version?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to import all custom settings from another version?

I looked and looked but can't seem to find any option to import all the custom settings (shortcuts, workspace layout, thumbnail information, etc) I've created in another version of ACDSee? Must I recreate them from scratch? It seems like the only thing I can import is the database catalog.

@Lunatique - Unfortunately, there is not an automated way of doing this within ACDSee. It is on a lot of user's improvement lists, but has not (yet) been implemented.

The items you mentioned (shortcuts, workspace layout, thumbnail information, etc), are not too much of an issue for me -- just a minor annoyance. But, my Develop Presets are a whole different story. In setting up ACDSee software on a new machine, I transfer the Develop Presets as saved settings from the Registry. The Registry location of these critical presets is:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ACD Systems\EditLib\Version 1.0\Develop]

Comment

Originally posted by LV_Bill View Post
      @Lunatique - Unfortunately, there is not an automated way of doing this within ACDSee. It is on a lot of user's improvement lists, but has not (yet) been implemented.

The items you mentioned (shortcuts, workspace layout, thumbnail information, etc), are not too much of an issue for me -- just a minor annoyance. But, my Develop Presets are a whole different story. In setting up ACDSee software on a new machine, I transfer the Develop Presets as saved settings from the Registry. The Registry location of these critical presets is:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ACD Systems\EditLib\Version 1.0\Develop]
      Thanks for the reply.

Is there a way to copy all the settings (shortcuts, workspace, thumbnail information) from the registry from an older version to the newer version? Or would that introduce problems with registry conflicts?

Comment

Originally posted by Lunatique View Post
        Is there a way to copy all the settings.....from the registry from an older version to the newer version? Or would that introduce problems with registry conflicts?
        I think your suspicions are correct. Although, many of the Registry keys do stay the same from version to version, there are always some that change, and some new ones added. Trying to force the old Registry settings on an entirely new version sounds to me like a recipe for bad thing to happen. I wouldn't recommend it.

Comment

Originally posted by LV_Bill View Post

I think your suspicions are correct. Although, many of the Registry keys do stay the same from version to version, there are always some that change, and some new ones added. Trying to force the old Registry settings on an entirely new version sounds to me like a recipe for bad thing to happen. I wouldn't recommend it.
          Yeah, that's my suspicion as well. I guess we'll have to wait for the folks at ACDSee to implement some kind of settings import feature. I can't believe after all these years of developing ACDSee, this is still not an available feature, especially with the introduction of the more advanced versions years ago that allow a lot more customization. Every time I moved to a newer version, I had to manually replicate all my settings and it's really annoying.

Comment

Some develop settings did come across automatically this time when I updated from Pro7 to Pro8. I cannot remember which, though

Niels

Comment

The develop settings, which all exist in [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ACD Systems\EditLib\Version 1.0\Develop] are shared between different versions of AC. Note that there is no version in the registry path.

Others like the export presets [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ACD Systems\ACDSee Pro\80\Export] do have a version in their path (ACDSee Pro/80). These are not shared between differrent versions of AC. But imho these may be exported to a reg file, then edited and imported again to be used with another version. But as LV_Bill said this has it's risks.

Comment

I did not try to import registry settings to from an older version to the newer one, but I do backup my develop presets to .reg file which I used when reinstalling ACDSee Pro 8. Firing up that .reg file and writing the values to the registry (after a "clean" installation of Pro 8) is perfectly safe.

Comment

So... we're up to Version 19 now and still no way to import settings from a previous version? I've been with ACDSee since version 2 and with every release I keep hoping it will just copy my settings over so that I don't have to do it by hand. I realize some things change ... but not that much. The last several releases of ACDSee seem almost identical (and yet I keep upgrading). I bet the settings are almost identical too.

Comment

Something new about this topic? Upgrading vom 2019 to 2021 ...

Comment

Originally posted by webaschtl View Post
                      Something new about this topic? Upgrading vom 2019 to 2021 ...
                      There have been some improvements in regards to Actions and Presets, which has made moving from 2021 to 2022 much less painful (at least that was my experience), but I don't expect they will help upgrading from 2019. .

Depending on the size of your database, you will either have to do a database conversion, or if you have all your ACDSee and IPTC metadata embedded in your images, a build of a new one using the Catalog process.

If you are going to do a conversion, don't forget to carry out an Optimize Database process on your old 2019 database first.

Comment

And an im-/export of the menu- and keyboard-settings is still not possible?

Comment

Originally posted by webaschtl View Post
                          And an im-/export of the menu- and keyboard-settings is still not possible?
                          When there is a change of major version, where new features are added the default list of short cuts may change, and so I would not expect to be able to simply apply the shortcuts from a previous version.

For instance in the 2020 version, in Edit mode "ALT+H" was assigned to Color Balance. In the 2021 version in Edit mode that short cut was re-assigned to the Color Wheel.Filter.
                          In the 2021 version in Edit mode, Tone wheels were assigned "ALT+Q". That shortcut was not assigned in Edit mode in the 2020 version.

I don't have a huge amount of custom short cuts, and I have them written down, so adding them into a new version if they are still applicable is a simple task.

Comment

Working...
                          X