Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I search for files that are NOT tagged, or NOT rated, or WITHOUT a keywork?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I search for files that are NOT tagged, or NOT rated, or WITHOUT a keywork?

as per the subject?

Well, there are ways of getting at this info, not sure about "search" specifically. For instance, while looking at a group of files, you can use Filter or Group by rating, and the unrated images appear together. Similar for keywords. If you need to search your entire db for such images, you coukd first list the whole db via the organzie window "image well". Probably other methods too. The best answer for you kind of depends on what exactly you are actually trying to accomplish.

Comment

Additional to Marc's points above, the Catalogue View under Special Items has a 'No Keywords' option and the same View permits the selection of 'Unrated'. I suppose 'Not Tagged' was not included given the designed temporary nature of tagging

Comment

I want to do an export of all files that are rated >= 3, and which do not have a specific keyword on them (which will be used to indicate they should not be exported - eg cos they are too personal). This is actually to export to a digital photo frame memory stick, but I will want to repeat the export regularly as I process and refine my photo collection

It would be great if I could set up a standard export to use such a search, but I have to do the search, and then export all those files, which isnt a great hardship.

Comment

Based on how I use metadata (I use keywords for content and categories to manage my workflow) I would not use keywords for this. Instead I would use categories... and I would do it the other way around - I'd create a category that has to be applied to allow images to be published. Then I'd just use the Catalog pane and select the "publish allowed" (or what ever I would call it) category. and then I would filter out the ones rated 3, 4, and 5 using 'Easy Select' (the arrow icons to the left in the Catalog pane)... Combine that with using the 'Selective Browsing' feature and you can easily use this way of filtering out the ok-to-publish-good-enough-ones from specific folders (using the Folder pane) or a specific period (using the Calendar pane).

Comment

Hmm, are you saying you don't want a list of images with no keywords at all, but rather, a list of images that lack some *specific* keyword? That's possible, but only indirectly (a multi-step process in which you first list everything, then group by keyword, then tag the elements with the undesired keyword, then filter out the tagged images). So I too would recommend a different approach - using Labels, perhaps, or Categories, or something else to mark the images you *do* want to export, and then simply omit that from the images you *don't* want to export. I suppose if you don't use labels for anything else, you could use a label to indicate images you *don't* want to export, then simply Filter any list on "Unlabeled".

Comment

The Quick Search feature might also be of interest to you... but you will have to search for something else to create a base search... and then exclude images with a certain keyword using a string like "BaseSearchTerm -ExcludedTerm"... So if you have images tagged with the keyword 'fruits' and you want to exclude the ones that also have the keyword 'apples' you simply use the search string "fruits -apples"...

Comment

Yes and following Dand's post, the first term can be anything that Quick Search uses not just keywords so, if for example ALL your images had copyright name 'Fred' then Quick Search 'Fred -Keyword' would find all those you mentioned in post 4. The space before the '-' is important.

Comment

Ideally I'd like a saved search, so I can just select it and then run stuff against it (after select all), like an export, or archive.

I typically rate my photos and categorise my photos. I could use categories to exclude a pic, and it can be done manually, but I want a straight forward semi-automated way of doing it, and a saved search should be able to do this. It just needs a NOT comparison operator for tagged, labels, category properties. Please?

Comment

What you are asking for is what is known as "Boolean search" - the ability to specify a chain of AND, OR, and NOT combinations for searches. It's been an outstanding feature request for years. Hopefully it will implemented some day, but I wouldn't hold your breath. Meanwhile, I'd consider the suggestions offered - if this is something you do regularly, then you should find ways of organizing things to make it easier.

Comment

Working...
                    X