Installing and transferring to new hard drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing and transferring to new hard drive

I'm reinstalling EVERYTHING on a new hard drive and wondering the best process to transfer all my photos, database, etc. I found this article. Is it the best way to do it or are there other steps I should take?

https://acdsystems.desk.com/customer...rticles/561799

What about all my preferences? Is there a way to copy/transfer those as well?

ACDsee Pro 8
    Windows 7

@jodzeee - The article is good advice. The simplified version is: (1.) Embed all your existing ACDSee metadata into the images themselves. (2.) Copy your entire image library to the new destination. (3.) Recreate your ACD database by running Tools > Database > Catalog Files. That's it.

As for your 'preferences', there is no automated function to do that. However, you can transfer any Develop Mode Presets using Regedit.exe. Post back if you need more info on this.

Comment

Thanks for the quick response! Yes, if you could share more info on transferring my develop mode presets, I'd appreciate it.
      Last edited by jodzeee; 12-06-2015, 01:03 PM.

Comment

ACDSee really needs an option to export and import presets. I wouldn't want to use regedit.

Maybe a stupid idea, but why not create an image, open it in develop-mode, apply a preset and name the image after the preset. Then new install, open the image in develop-mode and save the preset again.

Comment

@Jodzeee - Launch Regedit.exe. Navigate to the key below. Click File > Export. This will create a .REG file containing all your Develop Mode presets. On the new machine (or drive) simply double-click the .REG file to automatically install the saved presets into your new Registry. It's actually quite straight-forward.

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ACD Systems\EditLib\Version 1.0\Develop\Presets\Global]

@SCX - Not a stupid idea at all. That's how I used to do it -- before my collection of Presets got too large. Turns out that the Registry Export approach is actually pretty simple and I've been using it without any problems for several years. But, if you only have a small number of Presets, your suggestion is a very good one.

Comment

Or perhaps a little easier for guys thinking the registry is like Medusa and even looking at it is evil:

- open a CMD window
            - cut'n paste this
            cd %Userprofile%\desktop
            reg export "HKCU\Software\ACD Systems\EditLib\Version 1.0\Develop\Presets\Global" presets.reg

Now you should have a file called 'presets.reg' on your desktop. A simple double click will import it again to the registry.

Keep in mind, that this will only export the development presets, not all preferences. There's much more in the registry that can be exported and imported again on another machine with the same version of AC installed.

Comment

Thank you, I'll give it a whirl!

Maybe I should start a new topic, but I've tried cataloging and it keeps crashing on me. Any tips?

Comment

Hard to tell exactly what is going wrong. But, when I'm in your situation (e.g. upgrading to a new hard drive), I always start by deleting any trace of the existing database. That way, my Catalog operation is recreating my DB from scratch. Can you post back and describe the steps you have taken so far in your migration to the new hard drive?

Comment

Well technically I haven't completely migrated it yet. I'm doing it in steps and in this case I'm just re-cataloging my existing install because I've moved the files off one to the other.

I'm actually working with 3 drives.

#1 C: That's currently running my OS and ACDsee Pro, plus "My Pictures";
                  #2 F: Had most working files and additional photos that didn't fit on #1. I've now moved them to #3 and disconnected the drive.
                  #3 G: New SSD with a fresh install of Win7 and will contain most files when all is said and done. I haven't installed ACDsee, or any other programs (other than Antivirus) at this point.

So I'm attempting to recatalog ACDsee on C to point it to the files now on G.

Next step, I will install ACDsee on G (which will actually be C when I boot from that drive) and recatalog - when I'm ready.

This may sound stupid, but I'm needing to continue working while I get everything installed on my new drive so I'm doing things a little at a time.

I did find that when I open ACDsee after the crash and try again, it seems to know where it left off so I just keep recataloging and hopefully it will be done eventually. I'm very hopeful that this will go much more smoothly on my fresh install!

Comment

Well, it's not going as smoothly as hoped with my fresh install. ACDsee was crashing a lot but I think I narrowed it down to a certain folder, maybe something corrupt in there? I did find a bunch of XMP files in there - but I don't remember doing anything with those images that would create them!

But anyway, my next question is regarding cataloging ... ACDsee seems to still crash a lot when I attempt to catalog all my images. I thought maybe I could do it in batches (e.g., first my "Pictures" folder, then other folders I have images stored in other locations). But is this possible, or does it start over each time, whereas once I attempt a different location, the ones I did first are no longer in the database?

Thanks for any advice you can give!

Comment

Originally posted by LV_Bill View Post
                      @Jodzeee - Launch Regedit.exe. Navigate to the key below. Click File > Export. This will create a .REG file containing all your Develop Mode presets. On the new machine (or drive) simply double-click the .REG file to automatically install the saved presets into your new Registry. It's actually quite straight-forward.

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ACD Systems\EditLib\Version 1.0\Develop\Presets\Global]

@SCX - Not a stupid idea at all. That's how I used to do it -- before my collection of Presets got too large. Turns out that the Registry Export approach is actually pretty simple and I've been using it without any problems for several years. But, if you only have a small number of Presets, your suggestion is a very good one.
                      Well, all this is dancing around the issue that storing presets and other information like this in the registry is DUMB. There may have been some value in the dim dark ages of commercial consumer programming, but it certainly has outlived its usefulness by now.

It makes moving to a new PC difficult, prevents a single, comprehensive ACDSee backup from occurring, makes porting software to other operating systems MUCH more difficult, AND I'll go out on a limb here and say it offers no real benefit to a modern software developer. Can ANYONE, developer or consumer, identify a single positive reason to continue use the Registry in this way?

Furthermore, how much "professional credibility" does Lightroom accrue from consumers by having a vibrant third party preset publishing industry attached to it? What is the dollar value to Adobe, of having that sort of third party validation attached to Lightroom? I don't know, nor do any of us know, what a similar set up to ACDSee would accrue, because ACDSee isn't even trying to benefit from that sort of validation.

I do know, that on the various photography forums, having a group of Lightroom users talking about this or that commercial preset creates a strong herd mentality that helps people otherwise 'on the fence" to decide to buy Lightroom. Shoot! Just being able to trade presets among users would make the ACDSee user community closer knit and more committed to the product.

Sorry! I'll get off my soapbox now! But this is a hot button for me.

Comment

One last thing, THEN I'm off my soapbox!

If you go any Photography oriented web site (DPR, Photo.net, any of them), and you see Lightroom users all over the place, They are crediting Lr for the quality of their photos, trading and critiquing presets, evaluating add ons (which are really just stand alone versions of Photoshop plug-ins, but since EVERYONE claims they are Lightroom add-ons, it must be true!). In all their activity, they are reaching out to each other and validating each other's purchase of Lightroom, that has to have an effect on uncommitted potential users.

ACDSee users are nowhere to be seen most of the time, They participate in all the rest of that web site's activities, but they don't normally self identify as ACDSee users. I think part of the reason is that ACDSee software doesn't lend itself to users reaching out to each other. I think ACDSee need to come up with some changes that makes using ACDSee Pro/Ultimate a more social activity.

Lightroom is still pretty good professional grade photo development software, the subtle social interaction aspect of Lr doesn't seem to have hurt it's standing as a professional product.
                        Last edited by Glen Barrington; 05-07-2015, 06:06 AM.

Comment

Good points, Glen. I'm starting to regret purchasing ADCSee Pro, but I've used it as an organizing for a very long time so the upgrade made sense. Although, I did fall in love with the Light EQ - I never could get the hang of curves!

Back to my question ... when cataloging files, can I do it in batches or is it all or nothing? Secondary question ... any clue as to why ACDsee chokes and crashes when encountering XMP files in one folder?

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by jodzeee View Post
                            Good points, Glen. I'm starting to regret purchasing ADCSee Pro, but I've used it as an organizing for a very long time so the upgrade made sense. Although, I did fall in love with the Light EQ - I never could get the hang of curves!
                            That is NOT the impression that I am trying to leave. I don't regret switching from Lightroom to ACDSee one little bit. I believe my suggestions would/should make ACDSee better and not function as fuel for bashing the ACDSee products. Look at my article on LIght EQ, http://glenbarrington.blogspot.com/2...th-acdsee.html . I am doing the research for an article on Curves.

Back to my question ... when cataloging files, can I do it in batches or is it all or nothing?
                            You can specify the specific folders in the cataloging dialog window (see screen print).

Basically you can specify a subset of the total photo based folders to catalog to do that in batches by specifying a different sets of folders over multiple times. Bear in mind, that I haven't actually done this, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Catalog files.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	28252

Secondary question ... any clue as to why ACDsee chokes and crashes when encountering XMP files in one folder?
                            That's something I would create a support ticket for. It sounds as if maybe the XML files are corrupted in some subtle way.

Thanks!

Comment

Cataloging is going better today. I'm adding incrementally as you suggested. It seems to whiz through what it's already cataloged ... I just wasn't sure if I should remove those folders after I did them and if I did, would they be "uncataloged".

I didn't realize that you switched from LR to ACDsee - assumed you were a long time user. Just curious why you switched. Also, do the developers / sales & marketing folks monitor these forums to see the suggestions? I hope they continue to improve it.

I'll check out your article. As always, I appreciate your help!

Comment

Working...
                              X