Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lens profile correction - ACDSee - workflow suggestion

Hi

I sometimes see people posting about "distortion correction using a lens profile"
    e.g.
    http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/56362930

Can anyone suggest a work flow incorporpoarting this type of correctionfor specific lenses in ACDSee in an efficient way?

I use a Nikon D7100 and have both Nikon and third part lenses.
    I currently take mostly RAW images and develop them using ACDSee Pro 8.
    So far I'm not using any lens profiles, simply because I don't know how to do it.
    Some tips would be welcome, thanks

Afaik for most image types AC does not recognise lens type and focal length to correct pincushion distortion, aberration or vignetting. So you will have to correct all these distortion by hand for every single image. However, it might help to create a set of templates to be used with your lenses. You will find the tools in "details" and "geometry" tab when in develop mode.

Only for DNG files the situation seams to be different. Have a look at Glen Barringtons blog. Thanx a lot Glen!

Comment

Thanks, I'll take a look in a few days when I return from a trip.

Comment

Originally posted by Emil View Post
        Only for DNG files the situation seams to be different. Have a look at Glen Barringtons blog. Thanx a lot Glen!

Thanks for the kind words, but as I recall, this only works with m43s There is a thread on this forum I started when I discovered this, and someone kindly tried it with a different camera brand that provides distortion correction profiles for their digital images and they were unable to get it to work. I don't recall the brand. If anyone tries it, and gets it to work with non m43s, please let us know!

I suspect this feature was an interesting experiment for the developers that didn't seem to be all that practical in the long run and which never got removed from the production code. But it does give us hope that they are aware of this issue.

I personally don't use it since I mostly use regular 4/3s DSLR lenses on my m43s camera, and my personal favorite, the superb 14-54mm f/2.8 zoom doesn't really have much distortion even at its widest focal length. It's just faster to do do a manual correction when a problem appears. Though one does need to be careful not to over do it! It's better to under correct than over correct in my experience! People are used to a touch of barrel distortion nowadays, but any sort of pin-cushion distortion can really stand out!
        Last edited by Glen Barrington; 08-27-2015, 07:49 PM.

Comment

There is some mention of lens specific distortion correction in the new ultimate 9 version ?
          Curious about that!

Comment

Happily! This thread has been overtaken by events! ACDSee Ultimate 9 now offers full distortion and CA remediation to lenses!

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Barrington View Post
              Happily! This thread has been overtaken by events! ACDSee Ultimate 9 now offers full distortion and CA remediation to lenses!
              That's good,
              ...but 2 of my new lenses are still in the waiting list to be added to the distortion correction
              16-80 2.8-4 nikkor
              11-20 2.8 tokina

Comment

Originally posted by Trevor View Post

That's good,
                ...but 2 of my new lenses are still in the waiting list to be added to the distortion correction
                16-80 2.8-4 nikkor
                11-20 2.8 tokina

Have you sent a request to tech support? My understanding of the process is that once they decide to add lenses a user has requested, they will ask you to take some photos at varying focal lengths for each lens (if a zoom), according to some specific specifications, and send the photos to them.

What I would like to see, since they are using the lens fun database, Is a way for us 'civilians' to create our own lens profiles and add them to the ACDSee version of LensFun. Just think! A booming community of users would be created who create, use, and share lens profiles! I can't believe that off loading this 'maintenance' task to the user community, wouldn't add at least a little bit of profitability to ACDSee's bottom line.

Plus it's something I think advanced users would welcome rather than hate. ACDSee could still do the profiles for lenses that are strategically important to the growth of Ultimate! That would still be their call, but the obscure, less important lenses could easily be handled by those users who are curious or impatient!

I think they should work to do the same thing for presets.

The one thing Adobe users have that makes Lightroom and Photoshop unique is the strong sense of community Adobe encourages among its users. How do you put an economic price on that sense of community?

Comment

Working...
                X