Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ACDsee category data copied to IPTC. Is it possible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ACDsee category data copied to IPTC. Is it possible?

OK I'm sure this has been asked some 1000 times, but I can't find it here. I have 40k photos with an extensive catalog tree with thousands of key words, I can find any group of photos quickly. My own fault, but I just realized that for geotagging, and for posterity, it would be much more helpful to have those key words in the IPTC list. So, is there a way to copy, en masse, the ACDsee catalog data to the IPTC fields? Yes, from now on I will copy the info to IPTC as I import the photos, via the batch method. It doesn't seem to be addressed in the ACDsee Pro 10 pdf.
    Last edited by Beaky; 12-28-2016, 07:44 AM.

Originally posted by Beaky View Post
    is there a way to copy, en masse, the ACDsee catalog data to the IPTC fields?
    Yes, do the following:
    1. Select the photos you want to modify.
    2. Copy the following text into the IPTC Keywords field: *,<ACDSee Metadata:Keywords>,<ACDSee Metadata:Categories>
    3. Click "Apply".

Note: If you leave off the asterisk in step 2, existing IPTC keywords will be removed.
    Last edited by Robert Linsdell; 12-28-2016, 11:00 PM. Reason: Added a comma after the asterisk in step 2.

Comment

Well, unfortunately these zillions of keywords are not in the "ACDsee Keywords field", they appear to be just in the categories. So is there a transfer fix for that? Incredible that I spent so much time entering all these data for 15 years but did not know the difference in where to enter the key words. Over the years I created the tree, adding new categories, and dragged the selected groups of photos into the categories on the tree. Apparently that did not at the same time enter those categories into the key words.

Comment

Well, unfortunately these zillions of keywords are not in the "ACDsee Keywords field", they appear to be just in the categories. So is there a transfer fix for that?
        See my revised above post.

Comment

Thanks so much, Robert,

Comment

I tried it, and as it turns out, the command *<ACDSee Metadata:Keywords>,<ACDSee Metadata:Categories> did not work. So I tried the *<ACDSee Metadata:Keywords> and that did not bring in any keywords either. So I tried the same thing without the ast. and that did not work. So I tried just the <ACDSee Metadata:Categories> and that succeeded in importing all of the key words for each photo, it worked nicely. It appears to import all of the layers of the catalog tree that apply to that photo. It also works with the asterisk in front of it, so I will use it in the future as you say to not write over existing keywords. So, you gave me 2 commands, with the distinction between "keywords" and "categories". The one that works on my DB is "categories", so the question is, should all that category data and keyword data be going into the keyword field? No problem with that?

Comment

...so the question is, should all that category data and keyword data be going into the keyword field? No problem with that?
              It's strange that nothing happened with both the Keywords and Categories in the one entry, but no matter, you imported your categories. I don't see any harm in putting the ACDSee categories and keywords into the IPTC Keywords field. For images that I put on Flickr, I even import the IPTC location/address information into the IPTC Keywords using this text string:

*,<Image:Location>,<Image:City>,<Image:State/Province>,<Image:Country>,<Image:Country Code>
              Last edited by Robert Linsdell; 12-28-2016, 11:01 PM.

Comment

... So I tried the *<ACDSee Metadata:Keywords> and that did not bring in any keywords either. ...
                It's probably just the missing comma behind the asterisk.

Comment

Emil, I'm not sure what you mean, the comma "behind" the asterisk? I've been keeping at this and it appears that sometimes I can't select more than 20 photos to get the categories to transfer to IPTC keywords, I have to check each one and sometimes it just leaves some photos blank in that IPTC keywords space. Then sometimes 100 can been successfully imported to the IPTC keywords space for those photos. But, I think that it works more successfully with putting *<ACDSee Metadata:Categories>,(space)(then follow already existing keywords) I'm no programmer, but it appears that a comma and a space is needed, not just a comma for separation. Robert, with the command ¨*<ACDSee Metadata:Keywords> that would import the ACDSee keywords, if I had entered them. So that may be why the command doesn't work for me, there is nothing in my ACDSee keywords. So that would explain (?) why the "category" command works as there are many thousands of category words ready to be imported to IPTC keywords.

Oh oh, edit. Looking back at Robert's original post I see *,<ACDSee Metadata:Categories>,<ACDSee Metadata:Keywords> ie now I see the comma "behind the asterisk". In case any other neophyte is following this, all those capitals are essential, doesn't work without them. So I'll try it again with the comma after the *

Thanks for the help.
                  Last edited by Beaky; 12-30-2016, 08:55 AM.

Comment

I can't select more than 20 photos to get the categories to transfer to IPTC keywords, I have to check each one and sometimes it just leaves some photos blank in that IPTC keywords space.
                    Select one of the photos that appears not to have had the ACDSee Categories copied to the IPTC Keywords, and then run the following from the menu: Tools / Metadata / Rebuild Thumbnails and Metadata. Do you now see the keywords in the IPTC Keywords field?

Comment

This thread has been helpful to me, but I think maybe I'm missing something - can this process be automated?

I selected one pic, pasted "*,<ACDSee Metadata:Categories>,<ACDSee Metadata:Keywords>" into the IPTC keyword field, then hit Apply, and voila! - my ACDSee Category settings and Keywords now appear in the IPTC Keywords field!

Now... can this process be automated, so that whenever I assign a pic to an ACDSee Category, and when I assign ACDSee keywords to pics, all that data is automatically populated into the IPTC Keywords field (without me having to manually input that character string into the IPTC field & hit Apply)?

And if I REMOVE the ACDSee info from a pic (remove the pic from an ACDSee Category, and/or remove an ACDSee keyword from a pic) can the IPTC field be automatically updated with the changes?

Comment

Originally posted by bugman View Post
                        can this process be automated
                        Not that I’m aware of. You can, however, setup Metadata Presets (look at the top of the properties pane next to the Apply button). Create a Preset called Copy Keywords and Categories that assigns the string "*,<ACDSee Metadata:Categories>,<ACDSee Metadata:Keywords>" to the IPTC keywords field. You still have to select the files and still have to click Apply, but at least you don't have to find the string and copy and paste it in.

Originally posted by bugman View Post
                        And if I REMOVE the ACDSee info from a pic (remove the pic from an ACDSee Category, and/or remove an ACDSee keyword from a pic) can the IPTC field be automatically updated with the changes?
                        Not automatically, however you can create another Metadata Preset that erases all the IPTC Keywords, and writes in the revised ACDSee Categories and Keywords. (This of course will only work if you hadn't added additional keywords to the IPTC Keywords that hadn't also been added to the ACDSee Keywords.) You just leave off the asterisk i.e. "<ACDSee Metadata:Categories>,<ACDSee Metadata:Keywords>".
                        Last edited by Robert Linsdell; 01-08-2017, 12:07 PM.

Comment

Still no way to automically include categories in ultimate 2018?

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Linsdell View Post
                            Not that I’m aware of. You can, however, setup Metadata Presets (look at the top of the properties pane next to the Apply button). Create a Preset called Copy Keywords and Categories that assigns the string "*,<ACDSee Metadata:Categories>,<ACDSee Metadata:Keywords>" to the IPTC keywords field. You still have to select the files and still have to click Apply, but at least you don't have to find the string and copy and paste it in.
                            Do you know if this ability has changed in more recent versions (I just purchased ACDSee Photo Studio Home... I really only wanted the asset management functionality). In the Metadata view, I see at the top where I can rate an image. If I have assigned an ACDSee category, it shows in the text area below the ratings. However, I cannot type into this box. It is completely disabled. I can type into the Keywords fields in the IPTC area and paste your command, and that works. But, was hoping to be able to save this command, as you mentioned.

Edit: Oh, and once I select more than one image (jpg), the IPTC section shown below completely disappears. Select a single image, and it reappears. So, I would have to do this one photo at a time

Click image for larger version  Name:	Capture.PNG Views:	0 Size:	34.6 KB ID:	53108
                            Last edited by Tw1tchy; 05-29-2020, 09:36 AM.

Comment

If this is still doable in Pro or Ultimate, but not Home, I would like to know that, so I can "upgrade" before my 30 days are up with Home...

Comment

Working...
                              X