Picasa Face Tag Migration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Picasa Face Tag Migration

I'm looking to migrate from Picasa 3 to something supported. The ACDSee software seems to fit best with how I like to work compared to other products I've tried so far. The problem is that I have thousands of photos with face tagging in XMP tags. Is there--or plans for--some way to migrate those into ACDSee? Even with facial recognition it took me a LONG time to tag things in Picasa and don't want to go through that again.

Hello KFStein,

A face detection migration path from Picasa and Lightroom to ACDSee is on our road-map. Unfortunately we didn't have time in the 1st ACDSee 2019 release. Will consider it for an update or ACDSee 2020.

Regards,
    Mark

Comment

Excellent, thanks.

Comment

I'd like to express interest in such a facility as well and I suspect that there are many people like KFStein and me. I also have been using Picasa for many years and have invested countless hours in face tagging. I probably have between 50,000 and 100,000 photographs scanned from old family negatives, slides, prints etc and I have tagged over 2000 different individuals so far. I have looked for a replacement since the announcement that Picasa support was ceasing but have been unable to bring myself to migrate to anything else because I couldn't bear to lose so much work. A facility to migrate the embedded face tags from Picasa to ACDSee would be just what I need to encourage me to jump in that direction.

Comment

Originally posted by mcosgrove View Post
          Hello KFStein,

A face detection migration path from Picasa and Lightroom to ACDSee is on our road-map. Unfortunately we didn't have time in the 1st ACDSee 2019 release. Will consider it for an update or ACDSee 2020.

Regards,
          Mark
          Reading and also writing Picasa face tags is a must have for me.
          It seems that I have to stick to Picasa for another year...

Comment

Just wanted to add my voice to this. I'm another Picasa 3 Facial Recognition user with a couple hundred thousand photos with embedded facial information that I would love to import into ACDSee. I've used ACDSee for about 20 years, but always needed Picasa for organizational work due to its facial recognition. It would be nice to do this all in ACDSee - just need the data import capability now!

Comment

Today I received an announcement and special offer for
              ACDSEE HOME PACK 2019
              by email.
              Does this version support face tag import from Picasa now?
              That's the main decision point for me whether to buy a new version of ACDSee or not.

Comment

OK, so importing Picasa face tags doesn't work out of the box for now.
                Is there a workaround? I see my face tags stored in ACDSee as "Keywords" - should be possible to use that, even if it includes a third-party tool?

Comment

No answer to either of the last questions posted here? They would be my questions too.

I have used a guide elsewhere on this forum to migrate albums (here). However face tagging is the one thing that I'm not finding a solution for. I have thousands to tagged images.

Comment

I also have hundreds of thousands of pictures with face tags from Picasa, and an import process for theregions is the only thing required to completely swtich.

Comment

In September 2018 it was written "Will consider it for an update or ACDSee 2020." How is the current status on this?

Comment

Hello RadX,

I am sorry but importing Picasa face data into ACDSee 2020 will not be available in the 1st ACDSee update.

The feature is on our backlog and will be considered for a future 2020 update or ACDSee 2021.

Regards,
                        Mark

Comment

Eagerly waiting for facial data import from Picasa, till that no reason to buy an upgrade of our four ACDSee licenses :-(

Comment

I posted this in another related thread....

I have struggled too to move out of Picasa with 300,000+ images tagged with faces. I am not going to move until I find a descent upgrade path. Because of the lack of interest on the subject, I set out to write my own migration program from Picasa FAce Tags into ACDSee (as I like all the rest of the program). I have hit, however, a question mark in the process. ACDSee Ultimate 2020 writes the face tags as 2 regions in the XMP group. One region is more square shaped around the face and is tagged DLY and the other region is more a vertical rectangel longer on Y and shorter on X around the face and is tagged ALG. Both regions are really close to one another except for a few pixels that give them aslightly different shape.

So my questions are:
                            1) What would happen if I write the face tags regions as exactly the same shape (with the same coordinates) in both ALG and DLY regions?
                            2) What is the difference between both regions, and why would you store a single face as 2 distinict regions? I am assuming one region is caused by the face detection, and the other one by the face recognition engines.

Please help, if I can get answers to these questions I can have a program that can do the migration for whole libraries. I am sure all Picasa users will appreciate moving into ACDSee with such a program and preserving their old face region collections. I understand this might not seem like a priority for ACDSee, but I am willing to put in the time in order to finish the program. I just need a little guidance and information.

Please help.
                            Last edited by jdardon; 12-01-2019, 09:42 AM.

Comment

I for one would be hugely grateful for such a migration programme.

I am also a Picasa refugee and spent hours tagging faces, marking locations, descriptions and keywords. I am struggling to work out how to bring all that data across to ADCSee. If you were able to bring such data across, I'm convinced that ACDSee would see many more people buy the software.
                              Picasa took some beating for usability and ACDSee is the closest I see to take up that mantle, However a facility is needed to preserve what work people have done already.

Comment

Working...
                              X