ACDsee Pro completely freezing my computer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ACDsee Pro completely freezing my computer

I have ACDsee Pro on my computer. It is freezing my computer. Also Ultimate (which I installed to test) and is doing the same thing. I have a HP computer with a Ryzen 7 2700 at 3200 mhz with a Radon RX580 card. 16 Gb of ram. I'm operating with a 128Gb m.2 ssd and a 4 terabyte internal hard drive. I have completely reset the O.S (Windows 10 home) and have all the updated drivers. I have tried several drivers with the Radon card. Many times I will get the error that they system has encountered a system error and needs to close. Other times, generally when I am not doing anything,(like at night) when the facial recognition is running, my computer freezes completely. It will not respond to any input (keyboard, mouse, power button). I can not even hold the power button to turn it off. I have to unplug it. Since there is no video out either, I have tried WIN-x, u and u to shut it down, which doesn't work. I really would like to use this program, however I'm getting no responses from tech support and can't operate with it freezing. I do have a large database of 250,000 pictures. I ran the catalog feature with thumbnails and that completed normally. The facial recognition is constantly running, so I don't know how complete that is as there is no % indication. I really don't see much on the forum about this, but I can't believe I am the only one.

When my computer freezes, I can not use Task Manager to close the program. Again, it is completely frozen, all and every function. Frankly, I've never seen this before where I could not hold the power button as a last resort to shut the computer down.

I did install Adobe Photoshop Elements. It ran perfectly, completed it's cataloging and ran facial recognition. With my large database, it is just past 50% on facial recognition after 7 days (painfully slow), but it hasn't frozen my computer
    Last edited by miamihoosier; 02-05-2019, 05:29 PM.

I turned off Facial recognition. Restarted computer. I ran the catalog command again. During the cataloging, system error occurred again with program needing to close. Closed program. Restarted computer. Ran catalog again. This time it finished. I'm going to optimize the database again. We'll see...

Comment

I just updated to 12.1 Build 1186 I turned facial recognition back on. It ran all night without locking up my computer??? Maybe the bug is fixed?

Comment

Posted too soon. As I was working with my photo's this morning, facial recognition running, it completely froze again. I unplugged the computer. Restarted. I'll leave face recognition off completely now to see what happens. Any input would be appreciated. I'm trying to verify that is is not something with my computer. It has ONLY frozen while ACDsee was running with facial recognition. It has never frozen while ACDsee was not running. I have run a couple hardware checkers to stress my system. No problems reported. Same issue with ACDsee Ultimate version. I have only one video card. I have my photos on my 4 TB secondary internal hard drive. ACDsee is installed on my M.2 ssd primary drive where Windows 10 Home is. ACDsee reports I have 253,000 photos and my total database size is 14 GB. My photo file size is 1.5 TB
        Last edited by miamihoosier; 02-06-2019, 07:11 AM. Reason: Added information

Comment

Same problem here in rural Thailand with freezing. The task manager will eventually work and then I have to start over again. What is funny as it has only started in the last few months. Weird.

Comment

Hi miamihoosier

If holding the power button could not shut down your computer, it may appear to be a hardware level issue after we research the subejct on internet: https://www.boxaid.com/blog/why-does...keep-freezing/

I would suggest that you start troubleshooting this by monitoring the CPU temperature.

Please let us know what you will find.

Regards,
            James
            ACDSee Customer Care

Comment

Thanks James. That sounds logical. You might be onto something... The max temperature on the Ryzen website is 85 degrees C. It should throttle back at 95 degrees. Mine is running about 40 degrees at idle and 70 degrees while scanning for faces. The CPU is running at about 60% and them memory usage is 50% My CPU is running between 60 and 70 degrees C. Not the max, but certainly hotter that I would like. I'll let it run tonight and we'll see... Thanks for the solid input.

Comment

I might just build another computer for this program. Besides better cooling... It appears my CPU is only running 50% and my memory is only using 8GB out of 16. My GPU Radon card is sitting at basically 0%. Does this mean that a GPU really doesn't help in running this type of program. Can I get buy with integrated graphics? Can I save money with an I3 or I5 and still get the same performance? It appears 16 gb of ram is plenty. Any advice on building a machine for this specific program? Thanks.

Comment

I set my computer to shutdown if the CPU temperature exceeded 80 degrees C tonight and went to bed with face scanning running. I work up this morning with a totally frozen computer. So... Is there a hardware issue? I'm still not sure. The temperature is high to some degree, however it ran at about 70 degrees for at least 5 hours last night, with me watching, before I went to bed. I have the power set to never shutdown or sleep or hibernate.

Comment

So... My computer froze again running ACDsee facial recognition. I unplugged and rebooted. I have had Adobe Photoshop Elements facial recognition running for 4 hours ALONG WITH Prime95 running. My CPU usage is 100% as is my RAM usage. Core CPU temperature is around 80 degrees and has been for four hours. I'll let it keep running the rest of the day.

Comment

Update: My computer has been running since the previous post. Almost 8 hours. It's certainly much more stressed than running ACDsee facial scanning. ACDsee is NOT running. Prime95 has been running along with Adobe Photoshop Elements facial scanning. Running at 100% cpu and 100 ram. I've had absolutely no problems. I know this might be odd, however it sure looks like ACDsee facial scanning is crashing my hardware. Any input?

Comment

I've had my computer off for a couple days. Just started it up and launched ACDsee. Facial recognition was not running. The options are grayed out and the CTRL-F function is not working. Under options, under face detection, all boxes are checked. I unchecked "enable facial recognition", closed and restarted the program. Enabled facial recognition and restarted computer and program. Still nothing???

Comment

I had an issue with my Ryzen 7 2700x CPU running ACDSee where my computer would freeze up every no and then. It would usually give me a blue screen of death, but sometimes it wouldn't even do that.

I found I was able to solve the problem by disabling "Core Performance Boost" in the BIOS settings. I am not happy doing this as it means I lose out on some performance from my CPU, but at least I can use ACDSee!

Might be something to try, if you haven't already solved the issue, I realize this is an old thread.

Comment

Working...
                          X