v2019 Face Recognition

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• v2019 Face Recognition

Hi, I'm a relatively new user to ACDSee Photo Studio Professional 2019 and having some trouble with facial recognition. I have added thousands of images to my catalogue, and I have started going through them to ensure that face recognition is accurate.

At first, my progress was great. The first few hundred pictures with faces seemed to work well. I corrected a few mistakes but was pretty happy with the process.

But now I have reached a point where I can see that for most of my photos, ACDSee Photo Studio hasn't noticed any faces. In View mode, when I open the "Face Detection" pane, I get "No faces found". This happens on thousands of my photos which have clear faces in them.

At first I thought perhaps some background indexer was running so I left the computer and software on for a few days. No improvement that I can see.

I feel I must be missing something obvious, being new to the software, so I am posting here in the hopes that someone can help me. I have searched extensively but not been able to work this out.

I have read in the manual that it will work better if I have let it finish scanning in Manage Mode. I see no way to run this on my hundreds of folders at once, though. The Face Detection options are greyed out on folders which don't actually contain pictures (they only contain sub-folders with pictures). I am open to a new way to organize the folders of photos, with some trepidation about moving them around. The pictures have been imported from scanners and various cameras and other sources over the decades - they are mostly organized in folder by import date.

I am running ACDSee Photo Studio Professional 2019, version 12.1 (Build 1198).

Help, please!

Hi Paw,

Is there anything common to most or all of the files without detected faces? A particular file format or bit depth? Do the images have more camera noise than those where detection was successful, or a high amount of background light? Are the images developed or edited in some way?

If the Face Detection pane says "No faces found", that indicates that Face Detection has already run on the image. But there is a quick way to make sure it has really run properly. In Manage mode, select about 15-20 images with faces that Face Detection failed to find, and run Tools > Face Detection > Redetect Faces. It will take a few minutes for Face Detection to rerun. Once it has finished, check to see if most or all of the images now have detected faces. We would be interested to know the results either way.

Thanks,
    Tristan H.
    ACD Systems

Comment

Thank you, Tristan. I can't see anything common with the ones which aren't working, other than it seems to be every picture taken since 2004. I haven't checked all of them, but they all have that in common. There may be some since then which have worked but I am not certain.

Resolutions vary from 1.2 - 12 MP, lighting conditions vary. All the ones I spot-checked with 24-bit colour depth JPEG's. Various cameras - an old Kodak digital, a Nikon digital SLR, and various iPhones.

I re-ran Face Detection as suggested - still no faces found.

This started so well - my older pictures were easy and I didn't have too many corrections to make. It came to a screaming halt around when I got to pictures taken in 2005 and onwards.

Comment

Hi Paw,

We would like to get a few samples of the images from you, so that we can try to understand what is going on. Please contact Customer Care at https://www.acdsystems.com/en/support/form and attach a few images.

Thanks,
        Tristan H.
        ACD Systems

Comment

Hello,
          Please also checkout our ACDSee Tips & Tricks forum postings on Face Detection. You may get some ideas to help the feature.

Cheers.

Comment

I have been missing face recognition in ACD for years, and I welcome this feature. But there is a lot to be improved. I am not impressed, neither of its ability to recognize that there is a face, nor to identify the faces. I assume that this will be improved in future updates.

But there are other problems that should be fixed as fast as possible.

When I open the People category in the Catalog pane, and pick one person, I see a lot of pictures to which this person is wrongfully assigned. It should be as simple as selcting pictures and choose "remove person" or something like that. As it is now, it will be far too much work to choose each picture to remove the person assignement.

I am probably not the only one who have pictures in various categories: Family, collegues, and many others. I want to be able to sort persons into various categories, preferablay hierarcally.

Comment

Working...
            X