Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Categories, Collections and Icons

Hi

Simple questions that I seem unable to answer. My image collection is growing and it's increasingly difficult to see what's what.

1/ What is the difference between a Category and a Collection?

2/ How do I allocate coloured icons to categories or collections and is it possible for those icons to appear in the individual panels for each image in Manage mode? (to make it simple at a glance as to what belongs to what 'category/collection' - coloured bars are great but you can only allocate one colour per image)

3/ As an aside, I'm using a fairly old version of ACDsee - Pro 10 V10.4. Apart from layering functionality and face recognition (which I would never use), are there advantages to upgrading?

Thanks
    David

Originally posted by Antelope View Post
    1/ What is the difference between a Category and a Collection?
    This are pros and cons of collections compared to categories:
    + The list of collections can be filtered
    - There's no 'easy select' function for collections
    - Categories can be moved and turned into sub categories or a parent category. Categories can contain item and sub categories. Collections are divided into 'collection sets' and 'collections', Collections can't contain collections sets and collection sets can't contain items.
    - The fastest way to add a selection of items to a category is to drag'drop the category name onto one of the selected items. Collections don't have this feature.
    - Categories allow to create sub categories when drag'dropping a folder with sub folders, collections don't.
    - Selected items do not get indicated in the collections if the list is folded. Categories do highlight a parent category.

2/ How do I allocate coloured icons to categories or collections and is it possible for those icons to appear in the individual panels for each image in Manage mode?
    Select a top level category name and press F2. Sub categories always share their icon with their top level category. I'd say this function just is a stub. These icons can not be shown as overlay icons with the thumbnails. How many would you allow if an item is assigned to 10 categories or more ?
    Collections don't have this feature at all. They always share their hardly distinguishable icons.

3/ As an aside, I'm using a fairly old version of ACDsee - Pro 10 V10.4. Apart from layering functionality and face recognition (which I would never use), are there advantages to upgrading?
    Afaik, not in reference to question 1 and 2.
    Last edited by Emil; 06-10-2019, 11:37 PM.

Comment

Thank you for this. Not sure why they bother with collections tbh.

Comment

Neither do I, nor do I understand why the categories icons never turned into a useful feature in the past 15 years.
        Though, I love to see the filter function for categories too.

Comment

The trouble is - and it's a problem for a lot of software - that it might be broadly specified by end users but it's designed an built by software engineers. What should then happen is that its subjected to user analysis, where volunteer typical end users are put in front of the computer and told to operate the software whilst being watched by the developers. Then all the subtle faults in usability would start to emerge and users can draw up a wish list of features that the s/w engineers just wouldn't think of. This classification/categories thing is a good example. And as for icons.. they're big. Why not have 6 different coloured circles and squares, giving 12 possible 'icons', and it would then be possible to fit them all on the thumbnails. Or if not, limit it to 6 or whatever. It's such a simple little thing but only someone who is actually using the software would think of it.

As for filters on categories that would be easy to do too.

I'm hesitant to upgrade from Pro10 because of small flaws like this. Another is that I cannot zoom out slightly from the image so that there is space around it in the editing window. Well, I can, but I have to do it manually, and then when I change to another edit function, I have to do it again. It drives me mad. I also find that Pro10 is slightly buggy. Odd things like suddenly deciding that it will not allow noise removal under a brush. It's this constant feeling that ACDsee is not quite there. It's 85% but not enough attention has been paid to usability and testing.
          Last edited by Antelope; 06-11-2019, 03:32 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X