Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

catalog feature doesn't add images like picasa, it restarts the process everytime

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tristan H
    replied
    Hi membio,

While Catalog Files does restart from the beginning if you cancel it and start it again, it should be able to very quickly move through the images that were previously cataloged. The part that takes the longest when cataloging a new file is generating its thumbnail, so when the file is re-cataloged, since the thumbnail has already been generated it should spend only a fraction of a second on that file before moving to the next. When cataloging RAW files, the "Create preview files for RAW images" setting also adds extra time, so you may wish to disable it if it has been enabled.

There are a couple of alternatives to the Catalog Files function if it is not working as you would like:
    1. Enable ACDSee Indexer from Tools > Options > ACDSee Indexer, and set it to catalog whatever folders you like. Then when ACDSee is closed and the computer is idle, Indexer will generate thumbnails and database records as Catalog Files does. For network drives, if the drive doesn't appear under "Network", you can map the drive to a drive letter and access it in that way.
    2. Browse the folders in Manage mode. ACDSee's Manage mode functions like File Explorer, so unlike Picasa there is no need to manually add the folders you want to the database. Simply browse to them and they will automatically be cataloged and have thumbnails generated.
    Bear in mind that if there is embedded ACDSee Metadata or Face Data in the images (unlikely if this is your first time using ACDSee), these alternatives will not import that information. However, other metadata such as IPTC, EXIF, and labels and ratings will be imported.

I hope this helps explain how ACDSee's cataloging process works. If you are still having trouble cataloging files, I recommend that you contact Customer Care: https://www.acdsee.com/en/support/form/

Thanks,
    Tristan H.
    ACD Systems

Leave a comment:

• catalog feature doesn't add images like picasa, it restarts the process everytime

hello, i'm trying to catalog my photo folders and it's a lot of images.
    - i select a bunch of drives and start the process, but it takes a very long time.
    - drives are on a network, i access through windows and it's fast,
    - i don't understand why acdsee takes so long to catalog, when i need to shutdown the computer, i hit cancel and than it updates/refresh the database, but once i try it again the next day it builds the process again but it takes forever to finnish.
    - Picasa worked on a different way, it would process and catalog in a tiny screen on the corner, and it worked on the background, adding images from folders we selected everytime we opened the program. and it would fetch new images when added to the folders.

- why doesn't acdsee does this?
Working...
X