How to search for photos with Suggested faces only

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to search for photos with Suggested faces only

The 2020 version of face tagging is MUCH improved over 2019. I have done some initial face tag seeding and recognition and would like to search for all photos where faces have suggested but unconfirmed names so that I can improve the seeding. So far, I have found no search operator that would allow this and setting Options>Face Detection>Face Search> to Suggested names still returns photos with confirmed face tags (or ones that don't have the checkmark indicating uncertainty). What am I missing here?

Hi redJ,

There are a couple of ways to find specifically suggested names. In the Catalog pane, under Special Items, the Suggested Names search will find all images with at least one suggested name, for all people. This is probably the easiest way to search for all suggested names.

If you want to search a specific person or people, the Face Search option you already found should work. This search option applies to searches on people from the Catalog pane, Quick Search, and Search pane. The setting is also available by clicking the gear icon on the People section of the Catalog pane.

I have a few theories about why the search setting didn't appear to work. Most likely is that once a search returns results, the results don't update dynamically. So if you went into the first image, confirmed a suggestion, and that confirmation caused other suggestions to confirm, you might go to the next image and find there were no suggestions. You can always rerun the search to remove any images which had suggestions that have now been confirmed. But please let me know if you don't think that is the cause of the behavior you were seeing.

Thanks,
    Tristan H.
    ACD Systems

Comment

Thank you Tristan. The first (Catalog pane) answer is exactly what I wanted to achieve.

I do not think the lack of matching Face Search results was caused by having previously confirmed a face. All results contained faces that were already confirmed, and were of many different individuals. I may not actually know the "correct" way to run this search and I probably don't need to now that option 1 works. However, it is a bit concerning if the search pane isn't working correctly.

Comment

Hi redJ,

It is hard to know for sure what is causing the behavior you were seeing without more information. What were you doing to produce these search results? If you were searching using Quick Search or the Search pane, is it possible that the search term matched other metadata unrelated to the faces in some of the images? E.g. if you searched "Bob" in Quick Search, the search results would include not only faces with Bob as a suggested name, but also those images which had "Bob" in one of the IPTC metadata fields. That is just a guess though, and there could be other causes depending on how you were searching. The Face Search setting only applies to searches on people from the People section of the Catalog pane, from Quick Search, and from the Search pane, so if you were searching using some other part of the Catalog pane, the setting wouldn't apply.

If you think that the searching is not working correctly, you may also want to contact Customer Care here: https://www.acdsee.com/en/support/form/. They might be able to take a closer look to either understand why you are seeing these results, or determine if there is an issue.

Thanks,
        Tristan H.
        ACD Systems

Comment

After playing around with it a little more, I don't think it's even possible to directly search anything specifically having to do with face tagging in the search panel. My understanding from the feature list in 2020 was that face tags were now being embedded as metadata so this was the expected search behavior, but it appears that metadata is not directly surfaced to the user. I thought maybe Face Embed Pending would return anything with detected faces, but it seems that's not the case.

So, I don't believe search is returning bad results, it just isn't capable of returning useful results as it pertains to faces. This is a little disappointing in that I like to combine search parameters and the all-or-nothing built-in face filtering options are somewhat limiting.

Comment

Hi redJ,

It's possible that the Search pane's settings aren't including searches for people's names. Try clicking on the right arrow next to the "With the text" field, and check "Search in people" if it is not already checked. Then you can use the "With the text" field to search for people by name.

While faces and names can now be embedded in the images, they're in custom fields that are not shown in the Properties pane and are not searchable. Exposing face data in the Properties pane is something we've had feedback about in the past, and it is definitely something to consider in a future release.

Face Embed Pending will return all images that have face data waiting to be embedded. Any images that have already had their face data embedded and haven't changed since will not be included. Also, images which have detected faces, but no confirmed names or other user interactions like deleting a face or denying a suggestion, will not be included. We felt that setting the embed pending tag on any images which merely detected a face would be overwhelming, especially for people who have the embed pending shutdown reminder enabled. If you are trying to find all images that have faces without names, the Unnamed Faces item in the Special Items section of the Catalog pane will do that.

Thanks for your feedback about searching for faces. I've added a couple more items to my notes to bring up with the dev team. There is definitely lots of room to add to the metadata viewing and searching of faces and names.

Thanks,
            Tristan H.
            ACD Systems

Comment

I did not have Search in People enabled, which will help. I will have to remember to enable and disable various entries under that menu in order to avoid colliding with keywords that had been assigned to images prior to the advent of face tagging. It's definitely not the precise type of search that I usually resort to, but I believe most of my use-cases are covered one way or another between the various Catalog presets. Would definitely like to have people tagging metadata exposed in the search pane since I can't use booleans in the text field for people there.

Comment

Working...
              X