Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Search all files to remake thumbs

Hi,

Is there a way to show all image files on drive, in order to have their thumbs recreated?
    Have refreshed the DB
    Have just tried the long search function, * in whole drive but it just crashes

Any tips or workarounds?

Cheers

Photo Studio Ult 2019

Manage Mode > Rt, click on folder > Catalog Files
    I suggest performing this action only on the folder you want to refresh as doing it on a root folder can take a while.

Comment

I am doing Catalog Files, but it crashes. I first tried my huge directory, then it crashed and I just tried doing one year at a time, it crashed, now I am doing just couple of months. Why does it crash? no specific error, just says it encounter a problem and closes the program.

Comment

As a reference point, If I need to re-catalog, I usually do one year at a time. This is usually less than 15,000 images. I never had the patience to catalog my entire library at once

I catalog local files or those mapping on a NAS.

I had a similar situation once where the catalog process would not complete. Since then, I became diligent with database maintenance. Thus, I would suggest it is worth a try to do some database maintenance before re-cataloging. I would do both of these steps:

a) Tools > Database > Optimize Database
        b) Tools > Database > Database Maintenance > Database Content > [select_then_remove_orphaned_folders}

Comment

If I open CATALOG files, it shows the list of folders that I last cataloged. 2 Questions: Pt1 - What happens if I remove the checkmark on a particular folder? Will the metadata from that folder still be contained with the files that were indexed, or will I lose that data? Pt2 - on more than one occasion I have lost metadata on a file because I tried to modify that file AFTER I had saved the metadata with the file. The only work around I can think of would be to change the attributes to READ ONLY, to prevent the file from being changed. What impact would that have on the database?

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
            What happens if I remove the checkmark on a particular folder? Will the metadata from that folder still be contained with the files that were indexed, or will I lose that data?
            If you remove the tick for a particular folder, then when you run that particular Catalog process, that folder will not be included in the subsequent Catalog process. So:

(a) If you are building a new database, the images in that folder will not be included, but

(b) if you had Cataloged that particular folder into the current database previously, then excluding it on a subsequent run will not remove its entries from the database.

on more than one occasion I have lost metadata on a file because I tried to modify that file AFTER I had saved the metadata with the file. The only work around I can think of would be to change the attributes to READ ONLY, to prevent the file from being changed. What impact would that have on the database?
            Once an image has had the ACDSee and or IPTC metadata embedded in it, then within ACDSee modifying the image should not cause the loss of the metadata (unless it is one of the processes like "Remove Metadata).

However if you process the image outside of ACDSee, for instance in a 3rd party application, the possible loss of metadata, particularly proprietary metadata becomes a real issue. Some 3rd partly applications can safely be used as plugins from ACDSee's Edit mode, but will strip the metadata if used in freestanding mode.

My solution is to thoroughly test any 3rd party applications that I might want to use with my images to make sure they respect the metadata properly. If they don't then either I don't use them, or I use them in the knowledge that I have to replace the metadata immediately after I use them.

Setting the file attribute to Read Only might cause you you some headaches. For instance, if you have set an image as read only, and you decide to add an additional keyword, then the extra keyword word gets added into the database, but when you do a subsequent "Embed ACDSee Metadata" it will carry out the Embed process, but is unable to update that image. If you don't happen to notice the fail count is not zero in the summary............
            Last edited by Greyfox; 10-26-2021, 05:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X