Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Acdsee Database Optimization Removed All Files From Database On Internal Hard Drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• James W-
    replied
    Hi Gavin Wade,

I am sorry to learn that you have lost database information.

I have just created a support ticket to follow up. An email was sent to you to gather more specific information to understand the issue.

Regards
    James

ACDSee Customer Care

Leave a comment:

• Gavin Wade
    replied
    Originally posted by GusPanella View Post
    BTW... I know it is probably too late now for Gavin (Sorry, I feel for you).... My personal way to avoid this situation is to run a database backup before any database optimization...
    I wasn't thinking about running a database backup at the time (should have done it), but even if I was it would still have made more logical sense (with the knowledge at the time and the information acdsee provides on database optimization) to optimize the database before backing it up. Also the dialog for the optimization wizard - "It is recommended that you periodically optimize your database to free hard disk drive space and enhance database performance... it does not delete any files" is misleading and does not give proper warning for possible loss of database records.

Ugh

There are some things that really bug me about this program (E. keyword behavior and proprietary metadata), but I'm kind of stuck with it because of its culling performance on my hardware (ACDsee vastly outperforms FRV and Photomechanic on my cheapish laptop). I guess I will just have to start backing up the database frequently and being really careful with database optimization.

Leave a comment:

• GusPanella
    replied
    BTW... I know it is probably too late now for Gavin (Sorry, I feel for you).... My personal way to avoid this situation is to run a database backup before any database optimization...

Although, I've requested this before, I can't help but want to say again, the database back-end could use some modernization. This is one excellent example as to why.

Leave a comment:

• GusPanella
    replied
    There was always one message in ACD that drives me crazy. It is the warning displayed when invoking the optimization window.

Here is what bugs me
    a) If read by a new user, it is difficult to understand the impact of here/when something is going to happen
    b) (to me, this is the more important one) Why in the world is this not managed correctly?? I certainly don't believe that it is better to have a "MAY clause" disclaimer.... Will it or won't it? Why would you want the information deleted? It is is a good thing, then give the use a check-box to choose if they want that information deleted.

Auggghhhh.

Instead, just give a choice of what data I want to optimize.... better yet... when things are missing inform the user those resources won't be optimized until the resource is reattached.,

Double auuggghh.

Leave a comment:

• Acdsee Database Optimization Removed All Files From Database On Internal Hard Drive

Background: I store my images on my laptops ssd and internal hard drive along with an external one. Since the ssd is not large in capacity, I keep only recent files on it and store my entire image collection on the internal and external hard drives (Only the internal hard drive and ssd are mounted to the database).

Problem: Today, I decided to optimize the database (remove orphan files and optimize tables and fields were selected) only to find out that all of my face tags, keywords, and labels that I had meticulously added were lost on the internal hard drive. Recent images on my ssd were unaffected. I assumed that database optimization would be a relatively safe operation and nothing in the optimization wizard warns of possible database record loss when pertaining to Internal Hard Drives. Words can not properly express my aggravation right now.
Working...
X