No announcement yet.

how to preserve file creation date when creating new image from existing image

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to preserve file creation date when creating new image from existing image

hi i always create different images from same image like zoomed version or edited version but when i do -when i save the file under different name- it also changes file creation date which i dont want it. i want to preserve same file creation date on both edited and original files so when i list images by file creation date i will see both pictures consecutively.

all i want an option for preserving file creation date like we have "preserve exif data" when using "save as" feature.
    Last edited by seriousgigi; 06-29-2020, 01:30 PM.

Originally posted by seriousgigi View Post
    all i want an option for preserving file creation date like we have "preserve exif data" when using "save as" feature.
    As an admin, please acdsystems, never ever implement this, it's a nightmare. Create a tutorial instead, how to use the different dates.

Comment

why? people using some dinosaur programs like robocopy to do this. those programs are useless because i do this for specific images for lots of time. those programs are good for one time copy process. if we have some simple program that allows you to do this via windows context menu it would be cool.

but since you can enter any date to change file creation date using acdsee feature called "adjust time stamp", it would be perfect to see this feature more basic.

like i said under "save as" category we should have keep "file creation data" box for these editings.

Comment

Your intellectual approach is wrong. Whenever a file is created the files time stamp "date time created" must be touched. If the file gets modified the files "date time modified" must be touched. everything else is simply wrong! If you need the EXIF "date time created", then use it. AC has it and windows explorer has it too. Instead of breaking the rules, learn how to use them the correct way.

It even is possible that a files "date time modified" is before the "date time created". This is absolutely correct, because the files "date time created" gets touched after copying, but "date time modified" remains untouched. The existence of tools that ignore the rules are no reason to foul the rules.

Robocopy, which I use daily, is a backup program: That's a completely different world. It must allow to map existing time stamps into a BACKUP. It's not designed to create copies of files within a file base.

To get in touch with the numerous time stamps used in images start with

exiftool -time:all -s filename.ext

Comment

i am not expert about photography so not sure what you mean with exif but as far as i understand you mean "date photo taken". but i am talking about random photos from the net more than that simple screenshots from videos...

so what do you suggest me then? i have more than 10k photos collected over years in a folder. all of them are sorted by created date which i like (there is a order in creating date). but whenever i made a change on some image (and preserve original file at the same time so copying that image giving similar name and editing copied one) new image breaks the sorting rules because it is created after the original file.

shoot me with some solution then? i wanna see edited one and original one side by side.

Comment

EXIF is data that is included in many different types of data files. Sometimes there are also an adjacent "sidecar file" with a .XMP extension that is made to hold information, Not going deep into EXIF on this post, but can suggest a search engine will do a better job than I can do in a post.

10k photos
            Wait until you get to over 100k images and multiple terabytes of images. Things get more complicated and expensive
            Are all 10k images in a single folder? (i.e. no subfolders)

"sorted by created date"
            If all 10k files are in a single folder... How are you sorting by "created date" using the OS file system?

Maybe this will help

Here is an interesting view,,,, Temporarily..
            Manage Mode > View > Details
            There are fields "Date/Time digitized", " Date/Time Original", "Modified Data"
            Multiple dates associated with each image. Easy to inspect when a file was created or edited. It is even possible to sort, but of course, there aren't thumbnails in this view.

Next, go back to those thumbnails
            Manage Mode View > Thumbnails
            Sort > ....
            Notice those same fields are in the sort. You can pick which date type desired as the sorted field.

If those fields are missing for some reason....
            Sort > More > [then_choose_the_property_of_interest]

Comment

Here's a small tut:
              • Start AC
              • Go to manage mode
              • Press F12
              Right click the table header and enable the following columns:
              From file properties section select
              • Filename
              • Created
              • Modified
              From EXIF Section select
              • Date/Time
              • Date/Time Original
              Now browse to a folder with a sample image. You will see something like this:
              Filename Created Modified Date/Time Date/Time Original
              image.jpg 2020:07:03 22:19:00 2020:07:03 22:19:00
              This sample is a brand new image w/o any EXIF tags at all. All you can see are the file stamps "Created" and "Modified". They are equal because the file hasn't been modified yet.

Go to EXIF Section of the properties metadata pane and edit "Date/Time Original". Now you should see:
              image.jpg 2020:07:03 22:19:00 2020:07:03 22:21:04 2020:07:03 22:21:04
              AC added the EXIF tag "Date/Time Original" to the file and the file system also touched the time stamp "Modified".

Now select this image,edit it and return to manage mode.
              image.jpg 2020:07:03 22:19:00 2020:07:03 22:23:14 2020:07:03 22:23:14 2020:07:03 22:21:04
              The file system has touched the time stamp "Modified" and AC has added the EXIF tag "Date/Time" . It's real name is Modify Date.

Next make a copy of this file. We now have:
              image.jpg 2020:07:03 22:19:00 2020:07:03 22:22:13 2020:07:03 22:22:13 2020:07:03 22:21:04
              image copy.jpg 2020:07:03 22:24:00 2020:07:03 22:22:13 2020:07:03 22:22:13 2020:07:03 22:21:04
              For the new file "Created" has been touched, because it's a new file, all others remain the same as before.

Lets edit the copy and return to manage mode once more:
              image.jpg 2020:07:03 22:19:00 2020:07:03 22:22:13 2020:07:03 22:22:13 2020:07:03 22:21:04
              image copy.jpg 2020:07:03 22:24:00 2020:07:03 22:26:01 2020:07:03 22:26:01 2020:07:03 22:21:04
              Again the time stamp "Modified" and the EXIF tag "Date/Time have been touched.

But "Date/Time Original" has been left untouched since we've set it to the value we've chosen.
              If you now click the table header "Date/Time Original" the file list will be sorted by this tag and all images and their copies are sorted side by side.
              It's up to you to set "Date/Time Original" to proper values, if they don't exist in your files before creating copies.

BTW. The columns header names are translated, yours may be slightly different; I don't have the English names at hand, sorry.
              Last edited by Emil; 07-05-2020, 04:38 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X