AC fails to read meta data

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AC fails to read meta data

After cataloguing a large set of files I found that the amounts of images per year shown in the dashboard were to low. When browsing the files manage mode I found this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	200.0 KB
ID:	53590
    • At the time the screenshot was made, AC had finished reading meta data (no percent value in status bar)
    • All NEF files do contain a full set of date tags
    • Only NEF files with large side car files affected (most likely these are develop)
    • Not all NEF files with large side car files are affected. (I estimate less than 5% of all files catalogued)
    • After rereading meta data of the affected files AC showed all missing meta data

I can't even trust the cataloguing function any more!

Oh no... I hope there is a special cause.... to no longer being able to trust cataloging is a big deal. I will try to repeat the experiment over the next few days.

Comment

Hi Emil,

We have tried to reproduce this issue, but with no success so far. We ran several tests using NEF files with very large XMP files, but the EXIF date/time metadata always displayed correctly.

We would like to gather some additional information from you if possible:
      1. Where did your database come from? Was it freshly created in Pro 2020, or is it converted from an older version? And had you just cataloged these files, or were they cataloged some time ago? In Pro 2020 or an older version?
      2. Is the EXIF date/time metadata for the files embedded in the NEF images themselves, or is it in the XMP files?
      3. Did you use Tools > Catalog Files to catalog these files? If so, could you please post a screenshot showing the settings in the Catalog Files dialog? A screenshot from the German version would be fine.
      4. Did you try anything like refreshing the folder, or viewing only one folder at a time rather than all 87 at once, to see if that resolved the issue? Or a search for the metadata?
      5. You said that after rereading the metadata of the affected files, you could see all missing metadata. By "reread", do you mean the "Rebuild Thumbnails and Metadata" command? In the German version, "Extras > Metadaten > Miniaturansichten und Metadaten erneuern".
      6. Are the files that had the issue all in the same folder, or spread out across all the selected folders? Did each individual folder have either all files properly cataloged or none, or was it a mix?
      7. After resolving the metadata display issue, was the issue in Dashboard also resolved?

Thanks,
      Tristan H.
      ACD Systems

Comment

Originally posted by Tristan H View Post
        Where did your database come from? Was it freshly created in Pro 2020, or is it converted from an older version? And had you just cataloged these files, or were they cataloged some time ago? In Pro 2020 or an older version?
        The Database was converted from a copy of an optimized ACPro8 db in to a brand new ACPro13 db. The db contains 300,000 items stored on a network share. 95% NEF, 5% TIF and JPG, plus a few hundred additional RAW file samples from various cameras.

Is the EXIF date/time metadata for the files embedded in the NEF images themselves, or is it in the XMP files?
        The XMP and the NEF files contain the same values for date/time. I didn't check which one AC actually reads. You will know better :-) The three date shown in the screen shot are EXIF:date/time, EXIF:date/time original and EXIF:date/time digitized. The column "Beschreibung" is IPTC:caption.

Did you use Tools > Catalog Files to catalog these files?
        No, I didn't.

Did you try anything like refreshing the folder, or viewing only one folder at a time rather than all 87 at once, to see if that resolved the issue? Or a search for the metadata?
        I was browsing a set of folders. Then waited a long time until AC finished reading the meta data (percent indicator in the status bar vanished) and also AC became idle (less than 1% CPU usage) then I made the screenshot with ACPro13. I'd not try refreshing with F5 (that would have taken many minutes again). I also didn't try browsing the folders with the suspicious files separately.

You said that after rereading the metadata of the affected files, you could see all missing metadata. By "reread", do you mean the "Rebuild Thumbnails and Metadata" command? In the German version, "Extras > Metadaten > Miniaturansichten und Metadaten erneuern".
        That's exactly what I did.

Are the files that had the issue all in the same folder, or spread out across all the selected folders? Did each individual folder have either all files properly catalogued or none, or was it a mix?
        I remember, I've seen this issue on several places in this long list of 25,248 items. The amount of items I did a "Rebuild Thumbnails and Metadata" for was much longer then the screenshot shows. So, I'm pretty sure the files shown w/o metadata was spread across several sub folders.

After resolving the metadata display issue, was the issue in Dashboard also resolved?
        I don't have much experience with the dashboard - we still mainly use ACProv8. Also, to get some statistics "Everything" is very much faster and power full - I can see the result while typing the search phrase! However, I looked at the dashboard and noted some amounts just last Friday. Here are a few values:

Year Dashboard
        2012 22,588
        2013 20,355
        2014 20,478
        2015 24,696

The amounts of files in the file base and in the dashboard will never precisely match. There's always few misplaced files and the RAW samples are stored in a separate folder. Also we are adding/deleting files all day.

To answer this question I just started ACPro13 again this morning and selected all sub folders for year 2014 (a different year than in the screen show above) in manage mode. An hour later I made this screen shot:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	178.1 KB
ID:	53622

It is displaying a part of a set of 20,460 images plus their XMP files of the year 2014. No other file types. At this stage I did as follows at which after every click AC stalls for several seconds.
        1. Selecting a single NEF file w/o metadata will not update the metadata shown for the selected item.
        2. The properties-metadata pane does not show any EXIF and IPTC tags for this file. One dimensional AC tags seem Ok (at least AC:label is), but AC:categories and AC:keywords are missing. (I checked the selected item in ACPro8 which does show these values. The metadata also is embedded.)
        3. Editing AC:caption does not trigger rereading EXIF or IPTC tags but accepts the change.
        4. Editing IPTC:title does not trigger rereading EXIF or IPTC tags but accepts the change.
        5. Editing tags does not set the embedding flag. Embedding dialogue says "All data current" (or similar).
        6. "Rebuild Thumbnails and Metadata" of the selected NEF does read EXIF, IPTC and AC tags. It does not overwrite the just edited AC:caption and IPTC:title!
        7. Browsing the single folder shown in the screen show with 42 NEFs does not trigger rereading the metadata. For none of the files any metadata is shown.
        8. "Rebuild Thumbnails and Metadata" for all files in this folder crashes AC w/o any notice. No "AC has encountered ..." dialogue, no crash dump.
        9. After restart, when browsing the folder with the 42 affected files again, a few of the files do show metadata, others still do not show EXIF, IPTC and AC metadata.
        10. "Rebuild Thumbnails and Metadata" of all files in this folder again finally solves the issue for all files in this folder.
        11. Next I look in the dashboard and find these amounts:
          Year Dashboard
          2012 22,588
          2013 20,355
          2014 15,509
          2015 24,696
          Please notice the value for 2014; it should be 20,478.
        12. After a "Rebuild Thumbnails and Metadata" for the affected files of the year 2014 the dashboard counts 20,478 items which precisely matches the value shown on Friday.

It seems, when displaying large amounts of files in manage mode, AC not only fails in reading the metadata for a part of the files. It also forgets to count them in the dashboard afterwards.

The files with missing metadata also are close to the end of the list, but not all files close to the end of the list are affected.

Hope you get a clue out of this.

Comment

Hi Emil,

Thank you for all the information. Unfortunately, we have still been unable to reproduce this issue. We will continue to investigate.

If you are able to gather more details that you think would help, we recommend that you contact Customer Care. Until then, it does at least sound like the workaround of rebuilding the images' metadata has solved the issue for you.

Thanks,
          Tristan H.
          ACD Systems

Comment

Working...
          X