Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Importing from Device - How can I restrict it to Camera photos only?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Importing from Device - How can I restrict it to Camera photos only?

This was not what I was expecting, so maybe I'm doing something wrong. I'm using ACDSee Photo Studio Professional.

I wanted to import the files from my camera on my Pixel 2XL, which are stored in This PC\Pixel 2 XL\Internal shared storage\DCIM\Camera.

I selected File > Import > From Device. I selected Pixel 2XL as the device.

An Import dialog box opened "Gathering information from Pixel XL" and then one saying "Gathering information from devices may take a while."

I thought that was odd because I had cleaned out my photos on my camera, but I told it to continue anyway.

I was surprised to see 3418 listed as the total number so I scrolled down to see what was there. There were .mp3 files associated with Google Maps, for example, ._TAKE_THE_EXIT_ON_THE_RIGHT.mp3, and those aren't in the folder for camera photos.

Is there a way to restrict what you import from the camera? I looked in Tools > Options and didn't see anything there. Or do I just have to scroll through a find the .jpg files I want? I tried to select just the .jpg files, but couldn't figure it out to get it to work. I'll have to try to figure that part out later on, but I thought I'd find out first if I'm just doing something wrong.

Originally posted by mmoore100 View Post
    ...Is there a way to restrict what you import from the camera?
    Not sure whether File->Import->From Device is the same for Photo Studio Professional as it is for Ultimate 2021, but if it is, in the ACDSee Import dialog, select View by: to file type, and you can then select only the file type you want to import.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Import Selection.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	54148

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Greyfox View Post

Not sure whether File->Import->From Device is the same for Photo Studio Professional as it is for Ultimate 2021, but if it is, in the ACDSee Import dialog, select View by: to file type, and you can then select only the file type you want to import.
      Aha! I misunderstood. I thought I could select the types of files before ACDSee found them, but looking at your post, I realized that it has to go through its "finding" phase and then you can select what actually gets written to the folder you specify as the import folder.

So I did it again and this reduced the number of files to 2453. Of those files, it included:
      - Audible book covers
      - The phone's wallpaper files
      - Icons from who knows where
      - Files whose name starts with "UnityAdsCache" (I'm going to have to check that out...)
      - Other small .png icons

BUT, the good thing I discovered is that when running the Import, under Advanced, I can tell ACDSee to set the ACDSee database date to the Exif date, which is something I want.

So, all I need to do is copy the files I really want (recent actual photos) to their final destination (for example, a travel folder) and delete the rest of the 2453 files in the Import folder. Then, in the future, I run it the same way, but after the import, I sort the Import folder by Date Taken, Sort Forward and move just the most recent ones.

Thank you! All of this should have been obvious, but I forget that most people who use ACDSee are importing from a digital camera, and the Import from Device probably works fine since there aren't apps like Audible and Google Maps on the camera.
      Last edited by mmoore100; 11-14-2020, 11:22 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X