Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ACDSee on External Drive

Hi all,

I have been using ACDSee Professional for almost a year on my laptop.

However, I have now switched to a new laptop with a smaller memory so that I cannot store all my pictures on it.

Is it possible to store the pictures on an external hard drive and still use ACDSee from my laptop?
    How can I do it?

Thank you for your help!

Fabrizio

All my photos are stored on an external USB drive connected to my desktop, should be no different with a laptop. You will have to remap the photo locations, a process I am no personally familiar with, but there is another thread in Ultimate on the subject.

Comment

The following is several years ago, written for an earlier version, so use with caution. For that matter, exercise great caution at all times when messing with your database.

Backup and optimize the ACDSee database (I do that obsessively - I never again want to think it may be lost forever, and an un-optimized database probably slows the following dramatically).

If you've embedded database data (metadata) in all your files, you could copy everything (including outrigger files containing database data for files such as movies that couldn't be embedded directly) to the new drive (with ACDSee not running) and then let ACDSee rebuild the database from the embedded data. Then skip the rest of this.

Theoretically, as long as you have both new and old drives connected and accessible to ACDSee, you could just move the images within ACDSee and then optimize again, and that might be simpler as long as you don't ask it to bite off more than it can chew in one gulp. Personally, my collection is vast, about 2.3 TB, it would take a very long time and I'd probably make mistakes. Otherwise:

In preparation, open Tools>Database>Database Maintenance. “Please wait while ACDSee is collecting and summarizing Database information.” (Very slow.) The program lists every drive ACDSee has ever seen however incidentally. At the top of the list are the actual existing drives, identified by letter, as well as Unmounted (historical) drives to which the database refers. At the bottom of the list are Removable drives that once were connected.

After verifying the location of the current image folder(s) (to which your existing database refers), select each other item in turn (can't select multiples) and click Remove All DB Info. Most of those at the bottom turned out to be camera cards or flash disks. Among the drives at the top were iterations of a drive I use for travel. One was an Unmounted boot drive. I reduced the list to just the existing drives; I assume one could remove the rest except for the one(s) with the photos, plus "Remote>\\acdsee-online-root". Close Database Maintenance.

Use Tools>Options>Database>Excluded Folders to ensure that neither the old or new drive is excluded, which would wipe the database.

In Windows, copy the entire Photos folder to the new drive (make certain that the folder structure is identical), and, with ACDSee not running, swap their drive letters. Then, unmount (disconnect, eject or turn off) the old Photos drive (it won't be selected for rebinding if it's actually there).

Open Tools>Database>Database Maintenance. Again, “Please wait while ACDSee is collecting and summarizing Database information.” The new drive will be listed as [your new image drive by volume label and drive letter] and the old one as [volume label (Unmounted)].

Expand the new drive and observe a lack of little icons on the folders indicating Folder that contains thumbnails in the database. Expand the old drive and see the icons for most folders (apparently the icons represent only thumbnails, not the more relevant and more permanent database content). In the old (unmounted) drive, click the actual folder with your images (If the drive root was selected, the Change Binding button was gray), click Change Binding and choose the correct drive and folder to which to redirect the database. The Folder Binding dialog lists apparently the Volume Label and Serial Number of the old drive and Target Path (to the image folder). ACDSee once more “is collecting and summarizing Database information.” before displaying thumbnail icons on the new drive. The old drive no longer shows an image folder. ACDSee Help under Maintaining the Database describes the dialog, without, typically, discussing how to use it.

Good luck.

Comment

Very good and detailed explanation of a solution to an important issue.
        One's photo collection and database never gets smaller, so networked drives are inevitable for many users.

Thanks again

Comment

Working...
        X