Faster PDF Preview

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Faster PDF Preview

I am using latest ACDSee PhotoStudio Pro 2021. When viewing PDFfiles, especially with CAD drawings the previewing is very slow. That in itself is not such a problem, but when viewing again, it is equally slow. Wouldn't it be possible to extract some preview images (with a resolution that could be set up in the general settings), so the viewing is a lot faster?

Originally posted by trick63 View Post
    I am using latest ACDSee PhotoStudio Pro 2021. When viewing PDFfiles, especially with CAD drawings the previewing is very slow. That in itself is not such a problem, but when viewing again, it is equally slow. Wouldn't it be possible to extract some preview images (with a resolution that could be set up in the general settings), so the viewing is a lot faster?
    As you are probably aware, CAD software is normally vector based, and depending on the complexity of a drawing, when saved out of the CAD program as a PDF, that PDF retains most of the layer, groups and vector information, and can contain many hundreds of groups layers and vector objects. Unlike RAW images, PDF's don't have an embedded bit mapped preview image, so the PDF reader has to reconstruct the "image" from scratch each time it is opened.

ACDSee does create a bitmap thumbnail image, stored with the database, for use in Manage mode and I believe it is that bitmap image that appears briefly in the preview pane before it is replaced with the image read from the PDF itself. If you un-dock the preview pane, move it to a second monitor and up-size it to near full screen, even set to show 1/8th scale you will see that the quality of the initial image is quite good, and probably quite acceptable for preview purposes.

So it may be just a matter of providing a user settable option so individual users could elect to force the preview pane to use only the thumbnail image from the database, and not update to the image read from the file itself. That would of course probably then apply to the preview of all images.

Comment

Working...
    X