Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Folder Thumbnails - ACDSee Pro X6 (Windows 10)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Folder Thumbnails - ACDSee Pro X6 (Windows 10)

Long time user of ACDSee (various versions for Windows and MacOS). I've searched the forums and other ACDSee related content online and I can't believe that so far I can't see this question asked and answered anywhere. Apologies if I have missed anywhere obvious!

How does ACDSee choose the four images to show on the thumbnail for a folder which contains image files?

I have a number of folders all of which contain exclusively photo files. The four photos from inside a folder which are chosen to be used on the thumbnail for that folder appears to be a random selection. What criteria does ACDSee use to select which particular images to use for the folder thumbnail? I've seem a few comments online that it simply uses the "first" four images in the folder. "First" according to what? database date? EXIF date? creation date? size? image properties? Alphabetic by filename? I've looked at everything i can think of and I can't see any logic in the selections made. HELP!

Secondary question ... If the selection of the four images is based on anything other than random chance (and I assume it must be more than that), is there a way to influence/change/select the images that are chosen for a particular folder thumbnail?

Any help would be gratefully received. It's been driving me crazy!

Originally posted by BenVee View Post
    Long time user of ACDSee (various versions for Windows and MacOS). I've searched the forums and other ACDSee related content online and I can't believe that so far I can't see this question asked and answered anywhere. Apologies if I have missed anywhere obvious!

How does ACDSee choose the four images to show on the thumbnail for a folder which contains image files?

I have a number of folders all of which contain exclusively photo files. The four photos from inside a folder which are chosen to be used on the thumbnail for that folder appears to be a random selection. What criteria does ACDSee use to select which particular images to use for the folder thumbnail? I've seem a few comments online that it simply uses the "first" four images in the folder. "First" according to what? database date? EXIF date? creation date? size? image properties? Alphabetic by filename? I've looked at everything i can think of and I can't see any logic in the selections made. HELP!

Secondary question ... If the selection of the four images is based on anything other than random chance (and I assume it must be more than that), is there a way to influence/change/select the images that are chosen for a particular folder thumbnail?

Any help would be gratefully received. It's been driving me crazy!
    I can't speak for ACDSee Pro, but for Ultimate 2021 it appears to be simply ordered on Filename.
    In answer to your secondary question, I'm not aware of any setting to change that, but you could force an order by adding a numeric filename prefix to the files, but that seems an overkill for any real benefit derived..

Comment

Originally posted by Greyfox View Post

I can't speak for ACDSee Pro, but for Ultimate 2021 it appears to be simply ordered on Filename.
      In answer to your secondary question, I'm not aware of any setting to change that, but you could force an order by adding a numeric filename prefix to the files, but that seems an overkill for any real benefit derived..
      Thanks for the quick reply. I would be delighted if it was as predictable as alphabetical by Filename at it would be very easy to manipulate the filenames to get the desired effect on the folder thumbnail. Sadly the images selected on ACDSee Pro X6 are not chosen based on Filename.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply!

Comment

Sorry just realised I made an error in the topic header! My current version is not X6 ... It's ACDSee Pro 9

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply. I would be delighted if it was as predictable as alphabetical by Filename at it would be very easy to manipulate the filenames to get the desired effect on the folder thumbnail. Sadly the images selected on ACDSee Pro X6 are not chosen based on Filename.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply!
          Perhaps worth downloading the trial of the current Pro version and see what you can do with that?.

Comment

Perhaps worth downloading the trial of the current Pro version and see what you can do with that?.
            Funny you should say that! ... I've tried that literally at the same time as I posted the my question here. Maybe i'm just very, very unlucky! When I try to sign in to acdID to allow me to run the trial, I keep getting "A network error occurred while processing the operation. Try again later". After that I can only quit so I'm as yet unable to see the new trial version. Firewall is off, Anti-Virus is off so no idea what the problem is. I've contacted Customer Support for help. I don't seem to be the only one to have had this issue!

Comment

I don't think there's a way to select images for the folder thumbnail, but I'll second the feature request. I've wished for that for years. Possibly key the selection to the user's choice of category.

Comment

OK ... i just managed to check Ultimate 2021 and it's exactly the same situation as Pro 9. The images shown on the thumbnails are exactly the same as on Pro 9 ... so although the selection of four images seems totally random, it obviously isn't! It's definitely NOT "ordered on Filename".

Seems crazy to me that the selection of images isn't either customizable (as with Windows) or based on something understandable!

Comment

.... it obviously isn't! It's definitely NOT "ordered on Filename".

Interesting, it very definitely is on my system.

1/ I created a new folder, called it "Folder Thumbnails".
                  2/ I copied 5 random photos into that folder, a .DNG, a .RAF a .JPG, a .ORF, and a .NEF, then renamed them 01.DNG, 02.raf, 03.jpg, 04.orf, 05.nef.

The first screen shot shows those files in the File List pane, ordered by filename, and also shows the folder thumbnail
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	Ordered-01.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	120.8 KB
ID:	56717

3/ I then renamed some of the images, so the list changed to 01.JPG, 02.nef, 03.DNG, 04.ORF, 05. raf.

This next screen shot shows those files in the File List pane (after a refresh), ordered by filename, and also shows the folder thumbnail
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	Ordered-02.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	117.9 KB
ID:	56718

In both cases the order of the thumbnails on the folder matches the order in the File List which is ordered on Filename.

4/ If I leave the filenames as they are in 3/ above, but change the Sort order in the File List pane to (for example) File type, then the order in the filelist pane changes to 03.DNG, 05.raf, 01.jpg, 02.nef, 04.orf, but the order of the thumbnails on the folder stays the same as it was for 3/ above, ie it stays in Filename order.

I don't know why that should be different on your system.

Comment

Finally I worked out what the issue is! The folder thumbnails are created by using the first four images by Filename in the relevant folder ... just as Greyfox suggested ... BUT that applies to folders on directly connected drives. In my case I was looking at folders on a network connected drive. It's only in that case that the folder thumbnails seem to make no sense in terms of how they are created and ordered!

Comment

Finally I worked out what the issue is! The folder thumbnails are created by using the first four images by Filename in the relevant folder ... just as Greyfox suggested ... BUT that applies to folders on directly connected drives. In my case I was looking at folders on a network connected drive. It's only in that case that the folder thumbnails seem to make no sense in terms of how they are created and ordered!
                      I don't have a Network storage drive (NAS) as such to check, but I do have other PC's (all Windows 10) on a local network, and when I access folders on them (as mapped network drives), the folder thumbnails (first 4 shown) are still shown in filename order.. I've also checked external hard drives (USB connected), and the ACDSee is showing their folder thumbnails in filename order too.

Edit: I temporarily put an old XP unit on the network, via wireless connection, and shared a folder on its data drive, to see whether an older OS would make a difference.. With the same mixed bag of images in the shared folder, the folder thumbnails all show in ACDSee on my desktop in Filename order. Same when I mapped the folder as a network drive.

I've about run out of ideas.
                      Last edited by Greyfox; 07-20-2021, 12:56 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X